What's new

Gillette President - brand new, but with micro markings on one side

Wow John, what a fantastic looking razor. That is as good a find as you can come across. As you said, the only thing that would have made it better would have been the original instructions and outer wrapper/shipper were included.

That is as nice an example of a President as I've ever seen. Congrats on such a great find and a really neat story about how it got on the top shelf of that closet. It tells a lot about the thought process and values of that generation vs those of us today. The gentleman who received that razor thought it too fancy for him and too nice to get dirty using. He was too modest to use something of that quality. Today, very few of us would ever have that thought and would be thrilled to have such a nice razor to use every day. In fact, I would dare say that well more than half the people asked would actually shave with that razor today, given the chance.

I must confess, not being a collector, that I would want such a fine instrument to be used for the purpose intended. I would treat it with great respect, storing it in it's case between uses after a thorough cleaning and drying. But, I would load up my favorite blade and take that beauty for a drive. I guess I'm one of the heathens of this generation.

Jeff

About as pretty as they come......Congrats!!

I was born in 1953 (Y-1) and believe me I have more marks than this razor.

Last edited:
To answer your original question, I found "cloudy" marks on a NOS Gillette Tech. I was able to polish them off (very carefully). I put a bit of tissue paper in there to prevent recurrence.
Oh, and I went ahead and shaved with it. That is what is was made for. Of course, a mint Tech is not the same as a mint President ...

Their are plenty of DEs in the world for current demand, NOS DEs are rare. If you start using it then you risk removing what is rare.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
That is lovely!!!!

In the end it is yours to do with as you please.......ENJOY!!!

Thanks everyone! I'd feel like I was ruining something rare if I started to use the razor, so - I think I'll carefully worship it from afar and appreciate what is truly something 'that they just don't make like that anymore"...I won't risk polishing it since the marks are nearly imperceptible, and I'll take DrAwkward's advice to let it rest on some tissue within the case...to think, when this was originally sold, Ike was in office and the first Corvette appeared! I have my Dad's Slim Adjustable in fantastic shape - he's passed away - and it makes me feel a sense of continuity when I use it on a daily basis.

Thanks everyone! I'd feel like I was ruining something rare if I started to use the razor, so - I think I'll carefully worship it from afar and appreciate what is truly something 'that they just don't make like that anymore"...I won't risk polishing it since the marks are nearly imperceptible, and I'll take DrAwkward's advice to let it rest on some tissue within the case...to think, when this was originally sold, Ike was in office and the first Corvette appeared! I have my Dad's Slim Adjustable in fantastic shape - he's passed away - and it makes me feel a sense of continuity when I use it on a daily basis.
Thank you for sharing your razor and Father stories with us, we all give you our condolences on your Fathers passing. The Slim razor should be cherished for years to come and i hope that you continue to share your shave journey with B&B.

Top Bottom