What's new

Gillette power razors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is gillettes most new power razor truly gimmick/marketing or somehow truly a closer shave than a de razor? Superior performance or just sheer marketing?

Which power razor are you specifically talking about? They have many models of power razors.

I respect Gillette more than the average wetshaving enthusiast, especially after they were acquired by P&G (problem is they only care about profitability). When they launched power razors, they most probably had plenty of quantitative data proving they shaved better than their own basic models. That's one of those companies that would never make a move without supporting data.

Which power razor are you specifically talking about? They have many models of power razors.

I respect Gillette more than the average wetshaving enthusiast, especially after they were acquired by P&G (problem is they only care about profitability). When they launched power razors, they most probably had plenty of quantitative data proving they shaved better than their own basic models. That's one of those companies that would never make a move without supporting data.
The flexball power razor with proshield cart, heated razors, ect...

The main goal when shaving is to get the best results possible - close and comfortable shave. Which razor is going to give you those results is very subjective and it depends on your skin, whiskers, technique, desirable results etc.

Pretty much all of my friends and family members are using either cartridges or electric razors and they don't complain about it, which means that they either get the results they need or at least they think so and no matter how much I make fun of what they are using I highly doubt that they are going to try anything else anytime soon.

There are plenty of gimmicks regarding the DE, SE and SR too. You don't need to own the most expensive flashy and modern razor made out of vibranium/adamantium/meteorite or a super rare vintage prototype razor to get the best shaves of your life, but some feel like that's the only way to go and good luck changing their minds.

Bottom line is that the end result is (mostly) what matters and it all comes down to how you get to it regardless if it's a cartridge, electric. DE, SE or SR. And while most folks on B&B agree that the cartridges and electrics are at the bottom, it wouldn't be polite to put down those who enjoy them.

In short - YMMV

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
With the exception of the aforementioned "Stahly", there have been more than one occurrences of vibrating razors in history, but all of them only existed briefly and then disappeared, apparently not causing a sufficiently sustained popularity...it was never a successful concept, but interesting.

Even Schick launched a vibrating cartridge razor in 2012.
It's a pity that the user's impression is "the vibrating didn't seem to have any impact on the actual shaving experience."
Schick Hydro Power 5 Select Tested: Do You Need A Vibrating Razor? - https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/06/schick-hydro-power-5-select-tested-do-you-need-a-vibrating-razor/

So I personally tend to think that vibration is just a gimmick used to repeatedly attract curiosity.
Every ten to twenty years, it's masquerading as a new invention and has attracted people who haven't heard of it.

The main goal when shaving is to get the best results possible - close and comfortable shave. Which razor is going to give you those results is very subjective and it depends on your skin, whiskers, technique, desirable results etc.

Pretty much all of my friends and family members are using either cartridges or electric razors and they don't complain about it, which means that they either get the results they need or at least they think so and no matter how much I make fun of what they are using I highly doubt that they are going to try anything else anytime soon.

There are plenty of gimmicks regarding the DE, SE and SR too. You don't need to own the most expensive flashy and modern razor made out of vibranium/adamantium/meteorite or a super rare vintage prototype razor to get the best shaves of your life, but some feel like that's the only way to go and good luck changing their minds.

Bottom line is that the end result is (mostly) what matters and it all comes down to how you get to it regardless if it's a cartridge, electric. DE, SE or SR. And while most folks on B&B agree that the cartridges and electrics are at the bottom, it wouldn't be polite to put down those who enjoy them.

In short - YMMV
When I read the original post my initial reply was going to be simple, it's marketing. But then I read the above post by Medivh & realized his is a more concise summation of what I was thinking. So instead of typing it over again, I'll just say "I agree"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom