What's new

Gillette Popular - interesting observations and did they really not make a silver version?

Yes, I am on a roll. Today I took delivery of my wildfind 1939 Popular, found in Sweden for small money and seemingly a fine set, though the razor seemed from pics to have known better days.

This set came from a guy who told me that the razor was given to his grandad as a prize in a shooting contest waaay back! And it was never used as far as the guy knew. Fascinating.

In hand the set confirmed my expectations from the few pics I had seen:
  • The razor is in great mechanical shape but needs a replate.
  • The case is in superb condition, awesome in fact both outside and in.
  • Some interesting additions: A Swedish language manual, a commercial leaflet for Gillette brushes and creams, and some blades.

New-to-me original Popular case on the right, identical 1938 case on the left. Popular cases had dotted engraving on the top.

8936C144-CD77-4290-96F0-F6C479BE238D.jpeg

On top of the thrill of finding a great condition case I have a few observations that I would love anybody’s input and thoughts on:
  1. First of all it is interesting that the set seemingly was delivered in Sweden with the exact same additions as my other set which was delivered to the UK one year before: Same commercial leaflet for brush/creams and same small manual, though in Swedish language throughout. So seemingly this was done in all markets?
The 2 sets with matching paraphernalia: UK sold 1938 model on the left and Swedish sold 1939 on the right
F1AB1CE9-ED38-4813-828B-4992942B24AD.jpeg
8EF4CD3E-2AF2-40B7-A172-30740BED5CE7.jpeg
56704E38-9195-4B89-BAC7-513D423966BB.jpeg

1. Another observation is that even though I’ve heard that Gillette never made Populars in silver I swear that this handle is silver plated (and the head nickel). It was quite black when I received it and see what it looks like after the good ol’e baking powder and tin foil trick:
Does this handle not look silver plated?
D9C2AFA8-EEA0-473F-999B-E22A7F071D7A.jpeg
1835E4C4-A4DA-4A41-9542-198CA594D562.jpeg

Comparison to another 1939 Popular (right) which I bought in full silver clothing...
43561C3B-F627-4F04-8580-06E3E5519D29.jpeg

What’s up with that? - Or am I just wrong in calling it silver (I am for sure no expert). As said, any input warmly appreciated!

As I don’t want 2 1939 models my intention is to use the case for the pictured silver Popular and then I plan to sell this new razor along with a nice other case I have.

Happy shaves, all!

Last edited:
You are having way too much fun lately Peter. Watch out the "fun police" may come looking for you. :)

Maybe the handle plating is rhodium? In the brochures they talk about gold plated models but I see no mention of silver.

btw: Congrats

You are having way too much fun lately Peter. Watch out the "fun police" may come looking for you. :)

Maybe the handle plating is rhodium? In the brochures they talk about gold plated models but I see no mention of silver.

btw: Congrats

Thanks Tom! - ha, no, no such thing as too much fun - as you well know, my friend :001_tongu

Don’t think it was rhodium, think more likely then nickel...

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
What happened to the Peter for whom RAD had become a distant memory and a mere footnote in his journey?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
So the question is what was more Popular
Silver or Nickel for the Popular.
Nickel was more Popular for the Popular.
And why wasn't the Popular more Popular
:)

An other great razor Peter. Congrats.
I think the Popular were nickel plated.

Thanks Claudio.

What happened to the Peter for whom RAD had become a distant memory and a mere footnote in his journey?

Oh, honestly he is still there :302: These last two was simply outliers: The Darwin was a crazy opportunity which suddenly arose as I got it offered, and this Popular was to get the case. The razor will be sold along with a couple of other things.

The outliers will always be there, I think - and hope, haha.

So the question is what was more Popular
Silver or Nickel for the Popular.
Nickel was more Popular for the Popular.
And why wasn't the Popular more Popular
:)

You rhyme king, you Steve :punk:

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I purchased it from Cap off eBay.
We call it Frankenpop. It had a broken t bar and he replaced it with a t bar from a SS and just kept the end caps with it.
I didn't know it was Cap until I sent it back to him for replating . I had it replated in Nickel.
Shaves great.

I purchased it from Cap off eBay.
We call it Frankenpop. It had a broken t bar and he replaced it with a t bar from a SS and just kept the end caps with it.
I didn't know it was Cap until I sent it back to him for replating . I had it replated in Nickel.
Shaves great.

Too funny story and very cool razor!!

Cap is the best! This morning I received these pics from him (ah, the wonderful wait for future goodies):
1AC31138-48E9-46C9-8F3F-2A979F849E81.jpeg 100131FF-38F7-4816-888A-839BEE466278.jpeg 47772660-326C-4423-AAA3-A61742FF1C6B.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom