What's new

Gillette Pocket w/ Blades

Greetings,

I found this in my basement today, and was curious about it. From what I've read I think this is from 1911, but I'd like to be sure. It's tough to make out some of the serial but I believe it is B738111. The B is worn so it could be a D which would make it more recent than 1911, but it's hard to say. Maybe someone can help me to figure out exactly what it is by the picture.
View attachment 53273

Its a smooth plain metal pocket case and the razor shaft has a column-like design. The inside of the case is in good condition.

It has a little cloth sac with the Gillette seal on it.

In the blade tin is a bunch of unopened blades in the King Gillette wrapper, and the little piece of packing paper inside the tin that says "PULL HERE" has "060811" written on one side and "05000" on the other side...I guess that's date and serial.

Last edited:
Wow, I wish I could go down in my basement and fins a nice ABC (American Button Company) Fluted handled pocket addition complete with pouch....Oh wait, I can....

Very nice find for sure and you are correct, if it's a B then it's a 1911 but if it's a D then it's a 1917.

How do you suppose it ended up in your basement?

Nice nice nice!

I love the ABC pocket editions....

is the paper with the numbers on it blank inside? it looks like a folded up something...?

What a great find! I'm gonna go down & look around in my basement... RIGHT NOW.

Yea, I was happy to come across this and learn about it. I suppose the previous owner of the house left it here when he moved out 20 years ago, just like a bunch of of other random stuff. Thanks for the responses. What exactly is the American Button Company? Is Gillette just a subsidiary?

To answer bythebook's question, the paper with the numbers is just a wrapper for the blades inside. I assume these are the blades that came with the original razor set rather than refills because of the this paper within the tin...unless the refills came in the tins.

I tried uploading a picture of the top of the case, but I guess those first three were the limit. Maybe you can sense the condition of the case in that previous picture of the back of the case wit all those patent years listed. Its shiny metallic, but lots of little black scratches from wear all over the outside.

By the way, does anyone know why there are lines indented on the bottom of the blade tin? I figure it's for the old strike anywhere matches...it seems like that would've been a good use for the matchbox sized tin after you're done with the blades.

Last edited:
Yea, I was happy to come across this and learn about it. I suppose the previous owner of the house left it here when he moved out 20 years ago, just like a bunch of of other random stuff. Thanks for the responses. What exactly is the American Button Company? Is Gillette just a subsidiary?

To answer bythebook's question, the paper with the numbers is just a wrapper for the blades inside. I assume these are the blades that came with the original razor set rather than refills because of the this paper within the tin...unless the refills came in the tins.

By the way, does anyone know why there are lines indented on the bottom of the blade tin? I figure it's for the old strike anywhere matches...it seems like that would've been a good use for the matchbox sized tin after you're done with the blades.

Uh... what other random stuff??

Haha, well im pretty sure there's no other blades, but just junk I could take to an antique shop. wood furniture, glassware, etc.

I tried uploading a picture of the top of the case, but I guess those first three were the limit. Maybe you can sense the condition of the case in that previous picture of the back of the case wit all those patent years listed. Its shiny metallic, but lots of little black scratches from wear all over the outside.

The American Button Company was a separate company. Gillette partnered up or hired out ABC. About the blade tin. The lines on the bottom were for striking matches. In fact here is an ad announcing the new blades/blade banks: "You receive a fresh box with every set of blades. The empty one then forms an elegant, waterproof match-safe."

proxy.php

Top Bottom