What's new

Gillette Pocket Razor

Hi
I am a new "convert" having shaved with canned cream and plastic razors for 40 years. Several weeks ago, I obtained a Fatboy, a silvertip brush and TOBS shave cream. I found this GREAT site, read probably a thousand post and took the plunge. What a pleasure!!!!

Last week I got myself a vintage "Pocket Gillette" It is in a 503 outer box which I think refers to a floral handle. However, the handle is just the standard one that I think has been "married" to the 503 box. I am not sure of the date of the razor. It says gillette on the head, but no seial number. SORRY NO PICTURES!! The razor appears to be similar to ones listed in the 1908/9 catalog posed on this site. However they appear as 1930's on many listings.

I followed the steps to render the razor usable and used a "new" blade and shaved with it this morning. I ASSUME THAT YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH NOT USING A THREE HOLE BLADE. Well, I got a perfect shave.
I want to thank this site for the information and FUN that you provide!!!

Any info on the these older Pocket razors would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks Barry

First of all, welcome to B&B!

Secondly, while the floral handled version of the ABC (American Button Company) razor was commonly "married" to its matching case, the common handles were available with every variation of the ABC sets. Therefore, it is impossible to ever call a common with any set a mismatch.

Hi
Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I just assumed that they were sold as a set. Are you saying that one could go into a store and buy differentn handles and heads. Was it like buying a pocket watch, where you selected a movement and the a case.
What was the time frame when the Pockets were sold.
Thanks again barry

Hi
Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I just assumed that they were sold as a set. Are you saying that one could go into a store and buy differentn handles and heads. Was it like buying a pocket watch, where you selected a movement and the a case.
What was the time frame when the Pockets were sold.
Thanks again barry

While I haven't seen any documentation or advertisement stating that definitely I am assuming that it was possible on either a retail or wholesale basis. On page 113 of Krumholz' Gillette Collector's Handbook it states that "there were six different styles of razors and cases offered, and some of these could be mixed and matched".

I think your pocket watch analogy could be very close to being the truth.

Hi
I have a small beard on the chin,so I didn't have to shave that part. It was smooth sailing on my cheeks and neck. One of the best shaves I had in a long time. It was a brand new Red Personna. iThe razor did come with several vintage 3 hole blades,but I don't want to use them.
Does anyone make 'new" 3 hole blades?
Thanks Barry

Nope. No more three hole blades. But, the modern thinner slotted blades made since 1930 have all been designed to work with the Old Types and New Improved razors manufactured before 1930. In fact, the quality of blades made since the 1970's are far greater than anything made before then. The shave you received from your razor was definitely far superior to one which would have taken place in the razor's original era.

Nope. No more three hole blades. But, the modern thinner slotted blades made since 1930 have all been designed to work with the Old Types and New Improved razors manufactured before 1930. In fact, the quality of blades made since the 1970's are far greater than anything made before then. The shave you received from your razor was definitely far superior to one which would have taken place in the razor's original era.

What you ever treated yourself to a nice shapened three holed blade? Just wondering!!

What you ever treated yourself to a nice shapened three holed blade? Just wondering!!

Nope. I have several NOS ones on hand but have no means or trust in myself to get them into shape. If I did I would gladly give it a go. Now, if you had a shave ready one you like to send my way, Ray ... :wink::biggrin:

Hi
Thanks for all the replys. are there any sites where I can obtain information about ABC and the Pocket Gillette? What was their relationship with Gillette? Between what years was the razor manufactured?

This group makes my new shaving methods into a great and fun hobby!!!
THANKS
Barry

Hi
Thanks for all the replys. are there any sites where I can obtain information about ABC and the Pocket Gillette? What was their relationship with Gillette? Between what years was the razor manufactured?

THANKS
Barry

You are there now. This site has the best overall knowledge. Gillette had mixed degrees of historical recordings. This area was early and limited. There is no single official source of information. The best source are those individuals which have spent hundreds of hours in independent research. And there are a number of us here.

Hi

THANKS
Barry

But, Phillip Krumholz' The Complete Gillette Collector's Guide is very helpful, yet a bit outdated on some subjects. Yet, it does cover the early Gillettes in nice detail. You can find it on eBay.

You are there now. This site has the best overall knowledge. Gillette had mixed degrees of historical recordings. This area was early and limited. There is no single official source of information. The best source are those individuals which have spent hundreds of hours in independent research. And there are a number of us here.[/QUOTE]

I can vouch for that one. I can't count the hours I've spent researching and I know you have as much and yes even more than I.

This is why I do absolutely no research on my own.......I just siphon off Ray & Guido...:tongue:
Seriously, I appreciate the info I glean here from you guys, as well as Achim and Arik. Thanks for taking the time!

Not any info in my post, but I want to throw the fact that I LOVE my pocket edition out there. There should be a religion based around this razor.

Hi again
Took my second shave with the "Pocket" and must say that the shave was a little better than with the Fatboy. (been shaving with the Fatboy on # 2 setting)
I did order a copy of "the Complete Gillette Collector's Guide the other day.
But would still like to learn more about ABC and its relationship with Gillette and the approx date range of my razor. Were the ABC pocket razors made without serial numbers? Did the American Button Company change there name after thry started making the razors?
Just love this whole B & B experience!!!! You turned shaving into a hobby!!!
barry

Hi again
Took my second shave with the "Pocket" and must say that the shave was a little better than with the Fatboy. (been shaving with the Fatboy on # 2 setting)
I did order a copy of "the Complete Gillette Collector's Guide the other day.
But would still like to learn more about ABC and its relationship with Gillette and the approx date range of my razor. Were the ABC pocket razors made without serial numbers? Did the American Button Company change there name after thry started making the razors?
Just love this whole B & B experience!!!! You turned shaving into a hobby!!!
barry

Nope. American Button Company, formed in 1904, started making the ABC sets for Gillette in 1908. The company itself remained in business until 1920, yet produced razors for Gillette until sometime during WWI. Most all ABC's should have a serial number which is found on the guard plate. It was believed that the serial number stamping was actually done at the Gillette plant as they coincided with Gillette's production numbers.

So, in answer to your first question, yes, I would say that all ABC's were made without serial numbers, but all were supposed to be serial numbered. Although, we know for a fact that not all were. Also, we have seen some with the "PC" prefixed serial number that seems to be associated with the Canadian Gillettes from the Montreal plant. Apparently some were sent through that plant before being sold in Canada. Gillette also had sales offices in Chicago, New York, Montreal and Paris at that time. Their factories during this period were in Boston, London, Berlin and Paris, in addition to the Montreal plant.

Top Bottom