What's new

Gillette Pocket Edition question

I recently purchased a Gillette Pocket Edition off of eBay, and true to my normal style, I purchase first and research later. So now with the razor working it's way to me, I came across this site which seems to be a copy of an old Gillette catalog or price list with drawings and info on the Pocket Editions:

Gillette Pocket edition models

My set was identified on the eBay listing as a 503, and that reference shows the 503 as having a floral case, which mine does. However, the razor handle in the picture also has a floral pattern, and mine does not. It has that straight column pattern which were from the 500-502 series.

Just to check it out, I looked at other listings on eBay and many show a mismatch between case and handles. I know that often times, Gillette had a practice of just using any available handle with an available head and put them in an available case. Were they doing this way back with the Pocket Editions?

As far as I can tell, yes they were...same thing happened to me when I received an Imperial case with a floral razor.

R

romsitsa

Hello, No 503 (flower) and No 504 (Empire) were designed as matching sets, a factory missmatch could happen but it makes little sense and is a quite obvious QC error.

Adam

Hello, No 503 (flower) and No 504 (Empire) were designed as matching sets, a factory missmatch could happen but it makes little sense and is a quite obvious QC error.

Adam
I have assumed that when I looked at that catalog as these were the only two sets where the handles matched the design on the box. I am not sure it was a QC error a hundred years ago, but a more modern thing where folks selling vintage razors on eBay get their razors in large lots and they find a couple of usable Pocket Edition boxes and Pocket Edition razors ad just throw them together hoping that someone that don't do their research first (like me) buys one of these sets.

I know better now, but probably can't afford a real matched set 503 or 504 set.

Top Bottom