What's new

Gillette Platinum/Swedes alternative packaging?

Well this no good at all, I sounds to me that Gillette/Proctor and Gandle just swapped out the blade that we all called "Swedes" with the 7:00 Sharps.
Regardless of where the old blades were made, they were superb blades. To me they were the very best blade on the market. I didn't use them all the time, but when I wanted a truly first class shave, there was no other blade that came close.
I am not disparaging the 7:00's, they are ok blades, but they are not even close to the quality of the "Swedes". To me, the 7:00 is more like a Feather than a "Swede".
A truly fine line of blades has been kicked to the curb so that Gillette can make more of their crappy cartridges!
They are gone and won't be back. Those of us that appreciated and enjoyed the superb shave that these blades would give are just S.O.L.
I know that it won't do anygood, but I feel compelled to write to Gillette and politely but clearly express my displeasure with this sorry-*** event.
Does anyone have a adress and title for whatever miscreant is responsible?
I, for one, will break out the pen and paper an express my opinion.

This sure sucks. These blades gave me the best results by far. They made shaving a real pleasure. I guess it's time for some more tortuous experimentation.

This week I ordered some blades from auravita, a known source for swedes and they are out of stock and will be getting some from the supplier about march 7. When I get the blades I will report whether they are swedes or not.

If you've followed this saga on SMF, it's clear (a) that Auravita have been out of stock for a while and keep pushing back their revised ship dates and (b) if/when they do have stock, it won't be of the "Swedes" we know and love. :frown:

If you've followed this saga on SMF, it's clear (a) that Auravita have been out of stock for a while and keep pushing back their revised ship dates and (b) if/when they do have stock, it won't be of the "Swedes" we know and love. :frown:

Thanks, I will cancell my order right away

Just checking in - I was in my local Gillette Platinum stocking pharmacy (for something else entirely) this morning... 2 weeks ago thanks to my bulk buys for folks on here their stock system had upped their inventory to about 400 blades (usually 50-70) - today there was a single pack left and none in stock out the back.

For those of us who have become accustomed to these blades what would be a suitable alternative? I pretty much ran through a WCS sample pack on a quick survey and ended up with the swedes by shave 4 or 5. Has anyone here had to make the switch yet? Silly me for ordering 25 at a time.

For those of us who have become accustomed to these blades what would be a suitable alternative? I pretty much ran through a WCS sample pack on a quick survey and ended up with the swedes by shave 4 or 5. Has anyone here had to make the switch yet? Silly me for ordering 25 at a time.

The ultimate "Swede" diehard over at SMF is in the process of evaluating the new blades. Amidst all his grumblings and lamentings about the change, he has mentioned IP's (Crystals?) as the blade he has been able to tolerate after the "Swedes."

It's ironic that among the extensive, professionally done blade reviews listed on SMF the "Swede" (plastic dispenser) and the Crystal are rated the same. So are Treet Platinums, and Dorco ST-301's, for that matter. The reviewer at SMF in his review of the 301 in fact said that it "reminded him of a 'Swede'."

You, however, may prefer "Swedes" for different reasons from the ultimated diehard or the reviewer over at SMF, so as always, YMMV.

The blade reviews are posted as a sticky in the Safety Razors forum at SMF. They are the most professionally done reviews on the Web. Take a look.

The ultimate "Swede" diehard over at SMF is in the process of evaluating the new blades. Amidst all his grumblings and lamentings about the change, he has mentioned IP's (Crystals?) as the blade he has been able to tolerate after the "Swedes."

It's ironic that among the extensive, professionally done blade reviews listed on SMF the "Swede" (plastic dispenser) and the Crystal are rated the same. So are Treet Platinums, and Dorco ST-301's, for that matter. The reviewer at SMF in his review of the 301 in fact said that it "reminded him of a 'Swede'."

You, however, may prefer "Swedes" for different reasons from the ultimated diehard or the reviewer over at SMF, so as always, YMMV.

The blade reviews are posted as a sticky in the Safety Razors forum at SMF. They are the most professionally done reviews on the Web. Take a look.

Ruf - his reviews are quite good, and Ive read most of them. That said, his rating and write up of the Swede seems to be in line with the minority of members......

For those of us who have become accustomed to these blades what would be a suitable alternative?

I've found Bics to be the next best for comfort and sharpness, but it's all YMMV, and nothing comes anywhere close to the "Swedes" for longevity.

This morning I had my sixth and final shave with the new cardboard-box Gillette Platinum blade. I'm sure I could have shaved a seventh time with it, but I could feel that the blade was beginning to get dull, and I'd like to start with my normal blade schedule again tomorrow.

Final verdict:

• not quite as sharp as the "Swedes"; I'm not sure that that's a bad thing, though, because ...
  • they are a lot more forgiving than the "Swedes". I can go ATG on my upper lip with complete abandon with these blades, without the tiniest amount of blood, something that's very hard to do with a "Swede".
  • they last about half as long as "Swedes".
  • the shave itself is close and irritation-free.

J

Jarmo P

I just bought a 5 blade pack of the plastic dispenser Gillette Platinums for 6.50 euro from the local store that had 2 packs left. I will not open it a for a few years I think, but keep it as a memory of a good blade.

I'm not too worried for myself, as I have more than 500 blades stocked up, which should be enough for the next 20 years at the rate I use them.

I'm still looking forward to getting a couple of these Gillette's in the mail to compare them to "Swedes". It does seem like they are or similiar to the Russian Yellow 7'oclock Permasharp blades.

This morning I had my sixth and final shave with the new cardboard-box Gillette Platinum blade. I'm sure I could have shaved a seventh time with it, but I could feel that the blade was beginning to get dull, and I'd like to start with my normal blade schedule again tomorrow.

Final verdict:

• not quite as sharp as the "Swedes"; I'm not sure that that's a bad thing, though, because ...
  • they are a lot more forgiving than the "Swedes". I can go ATG on my upper lip with complete abandon with these blades, without the tiniest amount of blood, something that's very hard to do with a "Swede".
  • they last about half as long as "Swedes".
  • the shave itself is close and irritation-free.

Thanks for the report. This sounds like it may turn out to be a good blade after all. I have been using my first UK-Swede out of a sample pack this week and like it a lot, so I'll have to try the new ones. Six to seven shaves out of a blade is still about twice as many as other blades give me.

My next go to blade is the Astra Superior. Want to try the bics as well.

I was in a different village today (posting a package and due to staff shortage at the local PO and with the postmistress out in the mobile PO so I had to track it down) and popped into the pharmacy there to check on DE supplies. They had a rack space for G= Platinums, but none on the hanger - "out of stock at the wholesalers"

If in fact the "NEW SWEDES" are made in Russia, I found some other russian blades made on the same plant

I posted a little while ago about the same blades
Gillete Rubie Platinum Plus (platinum covered for a smoother shave says on the packaging)
proxy.php

Gillette Sputnic Super Platinum (platinum coverage says on the packaging)
proxy.php

From what I found online the Gillete line is considered higher end then the sputnik

I tried e-mailing the retailer in order to get some blades but never got a reply, maybe one of vendors here can get them from a supplier so we can sample them

If in fact the "NEW SWEDES" are made in Russia, I found some other russian blades made on the same plant

They have to be made either in St Petersburg, Russia or Shanghai, China since those are the only 2 other razor blade (as in DE) plants Gillette had other than the "old" factory in Lodz, Poland.

It's ironic that among the extensive, professionally done blade reviews listed on SMF the "Swede" (plastic dispenser) and the Crystal are rated the same. So are Treet Platinums, and Dorco ST-301's, for that matter. The reviewer at SMF in his review of the 301 in fact said that it "reminded him of a 'Swede'."\
No irony to me: while I never had the pleasure of shaving with the fabled "Swedes", I have use the IPs to a good extent and like them a lot, to the point that they became a reference point for me not that long ago; but, in the last week, when I finally had a pair of vintage Gillette razors (40s Aristocrat and '72 Super Adjustable), that I had a bit of a sea-change, particularly when I put a Dorco blade in the Aristocrat...that combo is threatening to become my new reference, I've been that amazed with the shaves I've gotten so far. Much as I've loved my Merkur Futur, it might be displaced as my go-to choice for this. You go where the great shave resides, period.

- Barrett

Last edited:
Top Bottom