What's new

gillette platinum plus

I came across these blades when searching for Gillette Platinums. So I decided to order some and they came in today. I plan to give it a try tomorrow.

They are made in Brazil. I think the Sensor Excel 3 blades that I used to use prior to becoming a DE user were also made in Brazil.

Have you tried this blade? If so, what did you think of it?

Attaching some pics for your viewing pleasure. At some point I would like to compete with @sarimento1.

Attachments

• IMG_2455.JPG
    IMG_2455.JPG
    408.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2454.JPG
    IMG_2454.JPG
    483 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2456.JPG
    IMG_2456.JPG
    430.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2457.JPG
    IMG_2457.JPG
    571.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2462.JPG
    IMG_2462.JPG
    336.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2461.JPG
    IMG_2461.JPG
    379.6 KB · Views: 70
Where did you get them? They only seem to be available on eBay.

Ebay. Just one vendor has them in any kind of quantity and they are the leftovers that weren't distributed elsewhere. Otherwise they were cleared out of Walgreens stores two years ago. When they're gone, they're gone for good.

You should find the individual packages are date stamped in very tiny numbers. I bought mine earlier this year, they are date stamped September 2015.

They’re excellent blades, just not worth what I had to pay for them at Walgreens when they were available here, $8 for 9 blades. I had to give them a try though and would rate them just below my favorites like Personna med preps, GSB, Polsilver & Nacet (and of course the elite Feather). In the same league as 7 OC black. Top tier contender but not quite a champion.

They haven't been made in years. What you're seeing is NOS made years ago & imported into the USA from Brazil in 2017 and long pulled from the shelves.

It makes sense in the AoS store stocks Gillette Platinums at $7 for 5. If the Platinum Plus were still in production, one would think they would stock those.

You should find the individual packages are date stamped in very tiny numbers. I bought mine earlier this year, they are date stamped September 2015.

Where are they stamped? I tried to look quite carefully all over the package but found nothing. I'm attaching pics of all sides. Let me know which pic might have it if any.

They’re excellent blades, just not worth what I had to pay for them at Walgreens when they were available here, $8 for 9 blades. I had to give them a try though and would rate them just below my favorites like Personna med preps, GSB, Polsilver & Nacet (and of course the elite Feather). In the same league as 7 OC black. Top tier contender but not quite a champion.

The combination of those two is perhaps why they stopped production.

Attachments

• IMG_2463.JPG
    IMG_2463.JPG
    655.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2464.JPG
    IMG_2464.JPG
    533.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2465.JPG
    IMG_2465.JPG
    491.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2466.JPG
    IMG_2466.JPG
    456.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2467.JPG
    IMG_2467.JPG
    431.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2468.JPG
    IMG_2468.JPG
    423.2 KB · Views: 43
Where are they stamped? I tried to look quite carefully all over the package but found nothing. I'm attaching pics of all sides. Let me know which pic might have it if any.

Nice photos. Its the first photo, the little oval at the bottom on the flap. Same date. September 2015.

Nice photos. Its the first photo, the little oval at the bottom on the flap. Same date. September 2015.

What an interesting way of coding it! Very low tech. It almost looks as if the month was manually scratched off.

Last edited:
On the flap that you normally tear to open the pack. Its a similar date stamp to other consumer products. The numbers 1-12 are in an oval, month of manufacture is crossed out. The 9 is crossed out. Year is above the oval. That's a 15

Yes, I was told that by an Argentine poster on this forum. I have some Brazilian Super Thins Mejorada with a 17 in the middle, but I can see nothing scratched/marked in the 1 - 12 circle on mine. As well, on mine the marking is very, very small. So much so that I cannot get my cell cam to focus on it.

I really liked these blades. They are smooth and sharp. I got about 14 shaves on a blade. The down side, is that they were expensive and contained only 3 blades per tuck instead of the usual 5. I used to see this in stores such as Hy-Vee and Walgreens but I understand that they have been discontinued.

Are these similar to plain Jane Gillette Platinums or a completely different blade?

They were made in Gillette's Brazil operation so they weren't the same as the PPI blades. They're right up there in quality with vintage US Platinum Plus of the 1980s.

I still have about 125 of these blades. I snatched them up for 50 cents a package on closeout. These are quite possible my favorite blade. Smooth and sharp right out of the box and even better later on. I can get 15 or more shaves from these blades. Perhaps I should give them the Excalibur challenge.

I tried it today and found it very smooth. Really like it, definitely a lot better than the Gillette Platinums that I recently tried. Probably not as sharp as Kai but very much smoother. Pity it’s discontinued. I may buy some more from the same seller on eBay. I’m a bit wasteful in that I discard the blade after each shave.

I still have about 125 of these blades. I snatched them up for 50 cents a package on closeout. These are quite possible my favorite blade. Smooth and sharp right out of the box and even better later on. I can get 15 or more shaves from these blades. Perhaps I should give them the Excalibur challenge.
You've ruined me!! The ones you sent (huge thanks!!) are my favorite (smooth and sharp) and now are becoming unobtainium!! Still glad to have had a chance to try them!!

Top Bottom