What's new

Gillette Platinum Plus

Hi all,

I wanted to find out some information on an old Gillette blade. I was looking through my shaving items this weekend and came across a Gillette Platinum-Plus blade. This was a single blade in a sealed paper box...I figured I would open and check it out....no rust or anything so I used it for my shave this morning. I have to say that this might be the best blade I have ever used. The F2 Fatboy just glided over my face. Excellent!

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the GPP, like most of the stainless steel blades made by Gillette, Schick, Wilkinson, and Personna from the 60s thru the 80s, are great shaving smooth blades. Those old blades are terrific.

I sense a new AD coming on for me.....

Anyone ever use the Gillette Blue blades?

I have a few razors with open blade holders with these blades....they look cool but I haven't dared shaving with them since they are not sealed.

Patrick

One of my favorite blades right there. As SA points out, most of the blades from that time period are outstanding. As an added bonus, some of them are not only smooth shavers, but last a long time as well.

As for the Blue blades, they are coated, but I never had great results. Some have reported that they give a decent shave.

This (Gillette Platinum Plus) is hands-down my favorite blade of all-time.

I have (so far) 2 versions, older ones made in the USA, and slightly newer (80's) ones made in France (note: these are not the harsher "Gillette Bleue Extra" which were later sold in France). They basically perform like Swedes, but better IMO.

Cheers.

J

The usual places, antique shops, yard sales etc. If you like these, look for the Gillette Super Stainless, as they are much easier to find and shave similarly.

Do not under any circumstance buy the Gillette Super Stainless Super Inoxydable blade, as a dull clamshell is sharper than this blade.

Last edited:
I actually have a pack of these sealed on a card that I haven't opened... I just can't make myself do it.. something about there not being anymore of these - ever.

I actually have a pack of these sealed on a card that I haven't opened... I just can't make myself do it.. something about there not being anymore of these - ever.
I know what you mean, I have a few rare blades that are seldom used for that reason.

Last edited:
I sense a new AD coming on for me.....

Anyone ever use the Gillette Blue blades?

I have a few razors with open blade holders with these blades....they look cool but I haven't dared shaving with them since they are not sealed.

Patrick

I love those blue blades, to me they give me a very good shave regardless of the razor I use

Any opinions on how the US Gillette Platinum's compare to the English Gillette Platinum's (the ones in the dark blue metal dispenser)? Not much mention of those around here.

Hang on - are you guys saying you can shave with these old blades?? I see them on ebay matched with old Gillettes. I thought they'd be just for show.

Hang on - are you guys saying you can shave with these old blades?? I see them on ebay matched with old Gillettes. I thought they'd be just for show.
Why yes. In fact, there are those of us that shave exclusively with NOS blades. Most of the stainless steel blades made in the mid 60's and later are excellent shavers. So next time you get a chance, pick up some Gillette Super stainless or Platinum Plus and give them a try. :biggrin:

Top Bottom