What's new

Gillette platinum - largest online website

I bought these for $16 but found that they're not at all like the real ones I own. Guess which ones are real and which are fakes. I bought these from a vendor called 7'oclock..

Attachments

• IMG_20200614_140728020.jpg
    IMG_20200614_140728020.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 225
Yep, I have never seen a Gillette Platinum Blade with Ink.. The one on the left is the real deal... Unless, Gillette changed how they are marking them, but that doesn't make sense..

All of my platinums are in ink.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Interesting, after I read this I went and checked to make sure I am not going senile.. This is one tuft out of the last 100 pack I bought I want to say within the last two years. Yep, sure enough it is laser etched.. Again, I do not know if the OP received fake or if Gillette changed how they are marking them. My understanding is that is more cost efficient to laser etch vs. using Ink. I'm sure there is a B&B member that will shed some light on this mystery..

IMG_2132-1.jpg

As near as I can figure, the PPI plant laser etched some of its output in 2017 and '18, but some newer blades have gone back to ink. Are there date stamps on the tuck boxes?

They're not fake. I have Gillette Platinum blades that are laser etched as well. The only difference is that on mine they switched to a light blue package with a hanger on one side. Also, the counterfeit blades made by the Chinese, as far as my understanding goes, never have laser etched/engraved inscriptions as the laser machinery required is pretty expensive. It's PPI's way to protect their property by making it much harder to copy.
Given the fact that the new blades in your case still came in dark blue packaging instead of the light blue one leads me to believe they were either made when the transition was taken place or maybe they had leftover packaging from the old ones, as they've been making them for years and years.
In regards to the shave quality they should be pretty much the same as the old ones. Maybe you just got a dud blade or pack.
I have both the old ink ones and the new ones. I can snap some pictures later, if that helps

They're not fake. I have Gillette Platinum blades that are laser etched as well. The only difference is that on mine they switched to a light blue package with a hanger on one side. Also, the counterfeit blades made by the Chinese, as far as my understanding goes, never have laser etched/engraved inscriptions as the laser machinery required is pretty expensive. It's PPI's way to protect their property by making it much harder to copy.
Given the fact that the new blades in your case still came in dark blue packaging instead of the light blue one leads me to believe they were either made when the transition was taken place or maybe they had leftover packaging from the old ones, as they've been making them for years and years.
In regards to the shave quality they should be pretty much the same as the old ones. Maybe you just got a dud blade or pack.
I have both the old ink ones and the new ones. I can snap some pictures later, if that helps

The Gillette Platinum Dark Blue did not switch to Light Blue packaging, they are two different products. I made an in depth post regarding it here.

Both packs on the 1st post photo are genuine. The ones with the ink are earlier production, the ones laser etched are later production with date code on the pack. It is the same blade. I have 500 with the ink and 150 of the newer ones with the etching.

My favorite blade is getting confusing for sure. All of my platinums have been the version seen on the right in my photo with ink. If Gillette definitely laser etched blades then I feel better about it. I usually purchase from blade dealers on this site instead of a large online place like Amazon.

Top Bottom