What's new

Gillette Platinum DE Blades

AW, your post makes perfect sense & I will gladly bow to your knowledge in this field of expertise.

Personally, I think the "keys to the kingdom" lie in the advanced sputtering processes employed.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm with you Al. I very much doubt theres anything special about the steel itself and all blades most likely use the very same steel stock.

Unless one has inside information, certain things about blades will never be known. The coating process especially because thats what makes each blade type an individual. I would think that process and materials used to be a tightly kept trade secret.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm with you Al. I very much doubt theres anything special about the steel itself and all blades most likely use the very same steel stock.

Unless one has inside information, certain things about blades will never be known. The coating process especially because thats what makes each blade type an individual. I would think that process and materials used to be a tightly kept trade secret.

Yeah, I'd expect the three main areas for variation are heat treatment, grind, and coatings. Those are things which the manufacturers can configure and tweak on their own, without being tied into supply relationships, or letting the cat out of the bag as to their specific technical nuances.

And your scientific proof? Price is meaningless & subject to countless economic factors.
Well, I would think the significant difference in longevity, of which your experience is about the only one counter to what has been reported by just about everyone I've ever heard about, read about.
I've read articles both online and in print that have the opposite conclusions of yours, even a couple of Time articles from 1962 that I've posted in the past that refer in part to the number of shaves you can expect from " new " stainless blades. There's even a lengthy post of a very extensive study of blades both new and old by a former respected poster, brush restorer and blade historian that points out the significant difference in what we are talking about....then there's your singular experience. An almost all inclusive consensus carry's a little weight, don't you think?

Well, I would think the significant difference in longevity, of which your experience is about the only one counter to what has been reported by just about everyone I've ever heard about, read about.
I've read articles both online and in print that have the opposite conclusions of yours, even a couple of Time articles from 1962 that I've posted in the past that refer in part to the number of shaves you can expect from " new " stainless blades. There's even a lengthy post of a very extensive study of blades both new and old by a former respected poster, brush restorer and blade historian that points out the significant difference in what we are talking about....then there's your singular experience. An almost all inclusive consensus carry's a little weight, don't you think?
Well, that came off as way more angry and defensive and offensive at the same time than I intended and I apologize. Age and my disability are turning me into something I've never been, an angry old man. I'm not changing what I believe due to experience, research and anecdotal evidence but I am a little ashamed about how I expressed it.
My apologies Mr. Bogeyman.

...I used both blades in R41 and Fatip Piccolo MK1 for 4 days. One shave per each blade in each razor. Same cream, same brush, same everything. Even aftershave balm. My guess is when going WTG most people wouldn't notice difference between the blades, but when you go ATG and XTG the difference is obvious. The white-blue ones tug, the blue ones don't, they are sharper. In the afternoon, around 3 o'clock you notice the difference on your face. The blue blades just give a closer shave...

OK, I have used two blades of the Blue Box variety in a few different razors and with different soaps across the spectrum. Firstly, I just want to say ALL Platinum varieties are IMO simply superb. They are surely a contender for the best modern blade. I will state that I am 95% sure these Blue Box ones are the same blade, but in newer packaging. Of course, that is just my subjective opinion. I did notice one shave that was particularly & extremely perfect, however I chalked that up to the soap used (RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore Sapone da Barba) as mid shave I switched over to a Gillette Brasilian Super Thin Mejorada and the result was practically identical.

I think that when blades get to this level that any improvement would be minute and hard to discern as the older varieties shave so great as well. Also, I think that oft times it's easy for us to put our thumb "on the scale" after a particularly great shave in favor of a blade when perhaps the soap/cream used may have made it appear as such. To thoroughly vet a blade requires mind numbing combo testing that quite frankly is tedious. I can say unabashedly however that this Blue Box blade combined with the aforementioned RazoRock SMDFSDB soap is, at least for me, a match made in heaven. WTG, XTG, ATG & "Willy Wonkavator" with zero resistance. YMMV. ;)

So, I used a Russian blue pack Platinum today (not the blue and white), and I have to say, it was incredible. I don't have a microscope, but it didn't feel the same as a blue and white Russian Platinum. I know one shave can be an anomaly, but I'm going to be using these a lot. If they last more than 4 shaves for me, I will be able to say it's comparable to my old Swedes.

blue box Surrey Platinum = 3 shaves and done. definitely not the Swede in a new box.

Probably closer to the normal Platinum in the blue and white box.

Well, It was fun to hope.

Good blade, sharp and smooth.
Gillette Super Platinum.
Glue on packaging in moderation.(I hated Gillette Silver blue for excessive glue, often on cutting edge).
upload_2019-3-13_18-19-8.jpeg

blue box Surrey Platinum = 3 shaves and done. definitely not the Swede in a new box.

Probably closer to the normal Platinum in the blue and white box.

Well, It was fun to hope.

I find it ironic that for me in the past the "Swede" didn't shave any different than a regular Platinum. Go figure.

I gave a friend of mine a white-blue and a blue Platinum to try in his no name shavette. I must admit I never used a shavette. He says he sees a difference. For him it was easier to get cut with the older white-blue blade.

I gave a friend of mine a white-blue and a blue Platinum to try in his no name shavette. I must admit I never used a shavette. He says he sees a difference. For him it was easier to get cut with the older white-blue blade.

You mean this one?

proxy.php

Or this one?

proxy.php

The first one. I have never tried the all-white box.
So these are basically the same blades with different packaging?
I was excited to try the new blue Platinums hoping it would be better than the silver and blue box Platinum which I found to lack in sharpness, oh well I got my stash of Polsilver and my favorite vintage blades.
I do like the Brazilian Platinum plus but their getting harder to find.

I was hoping the blue Platinums would be different.

So these are basically the same blades with different packaging?
I was excited to try the new blue Platinums hoping it would be better than the silver and blue box Platinum which I found to lack in sharpness, oh well I got my stash of Polsilver and my favorite vintage blades.
I do like the Brazilian Platinum plus but their getting harder to find.

I was hoping the blue Platinums would be different.

Buy some and decide as some say yes & some say no. It has crossed my mind that perhaps Gillette has improved the coating on this one. I wax & wane on that point after two blades and am now on my third still pondering the possibility. :001_huh:

I just tried the dark blue type. These are brand new, 2017 made in Russia. The first pass was not that good. We'll see if it improves. The Nacet and the Astra are much better at this point.
What is the point ? First pass is as important as the second or third

The point is most Platinum blades improve after the first use. I wish that this wasn't the reality of Platinum coating.
Feather blade has platinum coating and extremely sharp right out of wrap.
Indian Gillette super platinum is sharp on the first shave.
Personna platinum is sharp on the first use.

Why would I want to use a blade that doesn’t give me a comfortable shave on the first shave?

Top Bottom