What's new

Gillette platinum blades promoted a equivalent to vintage Swede blades

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I got a promotional email offering a Gillette blade that is equivalent to a vintage blade. This is what their promotion states:
We just received a shipment of Gillette Platinum DE blades from the St. Petersburg plant in Russia. These blades are supposedly exactly the same as the legendary and vintage Gillette Swede blades that you have heard so much about.

I bought some of these a while ago and shaved with one today. It was a decent blade.
My question is “ what vintage blades are they referring to?”
8E718869-800F-4036-AE9A-3B5E84BB2813.jpeg

BTW Amazon has these for less than half the price.

Ones that were just like those. Platinum hardened edge blades made in UK, France, Argentina sold mostly in Europe 90's-up until around 2009 ish give or take. They were pretty good, I haven't used current production so can't compare.

I got a promotional email offering a Gillette blade that is equivalent to a vintage blade. This is what their promotion states:
We just received a shipment of Gillette Platinum DE blades from the St. Petersburg plant in Russia. These blades are supposedly exactly the same as the legendary and vintage Gillette Swede blades that you have heard so much about.

I bought some of these a while ago and shaved with one today. It was a decent blade.
My question is “ what vintage blades are they referring to?”
View attachment 1609892

BTW Amazon has these for less than half the price.
From my understanding the Gillette platinum (swede) got the nickname because it was made from Swedish steel regardless of what factory made it. Hope this helps

If I recall correctly, it was because because it had a Swedish distributor (not manufacturing) address on the back of the package.
I would think that the type of steel has more effect on the shave than the address of the distributor, makes more sense-jmo

They were blades from the 90s. On the back of the card there were Annecy and 5 other European cities the last one being Stockholm. Hence the name Swedes. Most members would refer to the 90s blades as Swedes, but they were most probably made in Poland and other countries. There are different batches that have different sharpness, smoothness etc. The blades in the original post (the new light blue Platinums started in 2019) are the descendants of the "Swedes" but they shave differently than all those 90s - early 2000s Platinums. I am not trying to say they are bad blades. Actually they are excellent and shave differently than the currently manufactured dark blue Platinums.

I would think that the type of steel has more effect on the shave than the address of the distributor, makes more sense-jmo
That's true. But the nickname "Swede", that traditional shavers dubbed the blade, is due to Stockholm being listed on the back of the packaging.

That's true. But the nickname "Swede", that traditional shavers dubbed the blade, is due to Stockholm being listed on the back of the packaging.
So it was made from Swedish steel? Otherwise people wouldn’t pay crazy amounts of money for them on the auction sites

It was not advertized as Swedish steel, or any other specific type of steel.
I remember reading on this forum that they were made with Swedish steel, otherwise they would be run of the mill average blades, as someone once posted if the internet blessed them as magical there’s no turning back. Just food for thought in a light hearted way

I remember reading on this forum that they were made with Swedish steel, otherwise they would be run of the mill average blades, as someone once posted if the internet blessed them as magical there’s no turning back. Just food for thought in a light hearted way
It may also be that it’s one of the first “modern” mainstream blades to be discontinued. Platinum plus and super stainless weren’t surprises. This was and being a good blade made it missed.

We still see it to some extent when it happens but this one stood out. I think Polsilvers are one of the more modern equivalents. The new Wizamets aren’t bad but don’t feel as aggressive.

Everyone seems to have forgotten the blue 7 o’clock super platinums strangely. Seems the black version took its place with little issue

It may also be that it’s one of the first “modern” mainstream blades to be discontinued. Platinum plus and super stainless weren’t surprises. This was and being a good blade made it missed.

We still see it to some extent when it happens but this one stood out. I think Polsilvers are one of the more modern equivalents. The new Wizamets aren’t bad but don’t feel as aggressive.

Everyone seems to have forgotten the blue 7 o’clock super platinums strangely. Seems the black version took its place with little issue
When something is discontinued people have to have them, puts them on a pedestal

I do remember the blue 7 o'clock. Actually, I was thinking of posting about them the other day. I couldn't remember what name they had. Then I thought to myself, "can't buy them anyway, why bring it up?"

They were blades from the 90s. On the back of the card there were Annecy and 5 other European cities the last one being Stockholm. Hence the name Swedes. Most members would refer to the 90s blades as Swedes, but they were most probably made in Poland and other countries. There are different batches that have different sharpness, smoothness etc. The blades in the original post (the new light blue Platinums started in 2019) are the descendants of the "Swedes" but they shave differently than all those 90s - early 2000s Platinums. I am not trying to say they are bad blades. Actually they are excellent and shave differently than the currently manufactured dark blue Platinums.

+1! This is my understanding and also the source of my confusion; different tucks were highly variable IME!

:popc::popc:

I may have been influenced by magical reviews of this blade and ordered 100 for RBC. Anyone have any first hand experience with these? Most G Plat reviews are of the silver and blue variety writing variety..

I may have been influenced by magical reviews of this blade and ordered 100 for RBC. Anyone have any first hand experience with these? Most G Plat reviews are of the silver and blue variety writing variety..
Very smooth blades, reminds me a bit of the Wizamets, though I don't think they last as long.

The whole advertising message about them being the same as the old Swedes is inaccurate. That's hype to justify a higher price by associating them with some past favorite. They're made in Saint Petersburg like more familiar Gillette blades. They're just more difficult to find here.

Very smooth blades, reminds me a bit of the Wizamets, though I don't think they last as long.

The whole advertising message about them being the same as the old Swedes is inaccurate. That's hype to justify a higher price by associating them with some past favorite. They're made in Saint Petersburg like more familiar Gillette blades. They're just more difficult to find here.
I

I the same thought as you, all hype it’s all about money

Top Bottom