What's new

Gillette Parat for Christmas!

Just received this excellent circa 1955 British Parat yesterday. After only minor cleanup of both case and razor gave it a whirl this morning. Being used to what my Y3 Superspeed can do I installed a new KAI blade and received an excellent nick-free shave. :001_smile

With a comparison in mind, I like the balance and extra weight of the Parat, and it definitely lends a more aggressive sound and feel as it cuts. I am very pleased to have this in my collection and here's a few photos of it:

Last edited:
Very attractive razor. Congratulations! Hope you get many years of close comfortable shaves with this beauty.

Thanks Jake, this one's a keeper and not easy to find. Amazing to find vintage razors in such condition!

I have the other version of it the 52a rocket. This razor gives excellent shaves that is on par with #66 while a smidgen less aggressive than the Red tip and a whisker more than an Ej. Congrats on a great acquiring a great razor.

Rockets are just the best. Readily available in Canada in the 1950s but not so much the USA. Wonder what Gillette's market share was for North America and Europe in the 1950s no matter what the model razor? Does anyone know? Here is the guy that presided over all of it. Gillette CEO Joseph Spang, from the late 30s through late 50s.

$img0000048A.jpg

Second from left.

Thank you for posting these pics. I have one just like it, except my case says TV on the lid, at the base of the V shape. Does yours? I think Gillette used the same case for their TV Specials, and maybe mine isn't the original case...or maybe they made a Parat TV Special.

The 1958 TV and the Parat use the same case. The only different is the "G" on the top and the Parat case is Made in Germany:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thank you for posting these pics. I have one just like it, except my case says TV on the lid, at the base of the V shape. Does yours? I think Gillette used the same case for their TV Specials, and maybe mine isn't the original case...or maybe they made a Parat TV Special.

Mine has '"Made in England" on the underside and the G at the base of the 'V' on the lid. And thanks for the terrific photos Achim!

Top Bottom