What's new

gillette old vs new - which do you prefer?

Oh nice information

So is the one in the picture the Big fellow ?
So are we like 1921 to 1929 range of dates or something like that? Appreciate the information, there's something special about using a 100-year-old razor.
That's the basic New Improved "single ring" style, there's a name for it, but it escapes my memory right now. The big thing about the NI series is that there were several different razor sets sold, with all different names (i.e., Bostonian, Richwood, Chippendale, New Standard, etc.) but the actual razor itself is the same. The Big Fellows are just larger and over built, but impressive in their size and weight. A pic of my Old Type Big Fellow is posted above, and below is a side by side with my 1908 Single Ring Old Type and Old Type Big Fellow -- for the New Improved series, the size comparison would be about the same between models...
Family Photo.jpg

That's the basic New Improved "single ring" style, there's a name for it, but it escapes my memory right now. The big thing about the NI series is that there were several different razor sets sold, with all different names (i.e., Bostonian, Richwood, Chippendale, New Standard, etc.) but the actual razor itself is the same. The Big Fellows are just larger and over built, but impressive in their size and weight. A pic of my Old Type Big Fellow is posted above, and below is a side by side with my 1908 Single Ring Old Type and Old Type Big Fellow -- for the New Improved series, the size comparison would be about the same between models..
Oh I see why they call it a big fellow, yes sir. Does the big fellow have the long stem attached to the cap and the barrel type to screws on to it, like a single ring?

Oh I see why they call it a big fellow, yes sir. Does the big fellow have the long stem attached to the cap and the barrel type to screws on to it, like a single ring?
Yep -- not the best photo to show the long stem, but it's there. In my defense, this is a photo taken right after I got it, and before cleaning, as I would never leave a blade in a razor that long. It seems that the seller acquired it as part of a lot sale from a closed or closing barber shop because there were a lot of other barber shop items (dusting brush, Clubman Talc, etc. being sold next to it).
Big Fellow3.jpg

Yep -- not the best photo to show the long stem, but it's there. In my defense, this is a photo taken right after I got it, and before cleaning, as I would never leave a blade in a razor that long. It seems that the seller acquired it as part of a lot sale from a closed or closing barber shop because there were a lot of other barber shop items (dusting brush, Clubman Talc, etc. being sold next to it).
View attachment 1346016
Oh yeah I can see the long stem good enough to tell.
That's kind of good it got a new home and you got a new used razor with history no doubt.
Yeah, kind of a bad deal about the blade being left in.

Oh yeah I can see the long stem good enough to tell.
That's kind of good it got a new home and you got a new used razor with history no doubt.
Yeah, kind of a bad deal about the blade being left in.
Doesn't really affect the razor because it's brass, it looks worse than it is--the older carbon blades can really get bad and crusty, while newer stainless steel blades usually just produce a thin layer, or "tea staining" residue that cleans up relatively easily. I left the patina, but I've been kicking around the thought of cleaning it to silver, but that's looks only. I used to use scrubbing bubbles, but had to switch to Kaboom! (with Oxyclean not bleach) due to Covid availability and that stuff really dissolves the rust and any remaining comes off easily with an old toothbrush and Dawn. I cleaned a Red Tip last weekend with a lot of rusty tea stains and it came out looking like new in under 5 minutes.

I have an Old Type Big Fellow that I happened across one day in an antique store for one cool Hamilton (gives the best shaves of all of my Old Types really), but I doubt lightning will ever strike in my favor to find a New Improved Big Fellow model to go with my other two. It's hard to really include the Big Fellow variants in with their siblings because they are just that different, being over sized and over built as they are.
View attachment 1345984
I have a Old Type Big Fellow too. But did not use it because the base plate is slightly bent and the blade has a smile... Shaving with it will not really be fun... I don't know how to fix it.

BTW, is there any service somewhere for fixing bent Old Types?

I have a Old Type Big Fellow too. But did not use it because the base plate is slightly bent and the blade has a smile... Shaving with it will not really be fun... I don't know how to fix it.

Not to highjack the thread… but brass is pretty soft, but it depends on how confident you are and what you want to try, but you could figure out the curve of the head or transfer the curve to a piece of hardwood (could approximate the curvature using a matching socket), then sand it to that curvature and drill a hole big enough for the handle/barrel to slide into and then put the block into a vice and using a wood mallet or a wood block and using light taps, massage it into true. The other option would be contact razor emporium to see if they can do it, or start a thread here on B&B to see if someone can suggest a repair place.

Not to highjack the thread… but brass is pretty soft, but it depends on how confident you are and what you want to try, but you could figure out the curve of the head or transfer the curve to a piece of hardwood (could approximate the curvature using a matching socket), then sand it to that curvature and drill a hole big enough for the handle/barrel to slide into and then put the block into a vice and using a wood mallet or a wood block and using light taps, massage it into true. The other option would be contact razor emporium to see if they can do it, or start a thread here on B&B to see if someone can suggest a repair place.
Probably nothin to lose here except a bent razor, but don't take my word for that.
Brass is soft from my sanding on a Karve to polish it, I learned this.
Some good do it yourself thoughts @Lord NSIC had, to me.
Wish I had a piece of brass to see what happens if it's heated a bit. Would it drip like aluminum or just heat really quick.
Not suggesting a heat solution on the razor, just wondering.

I agree on possibly Razor Emporium.

Was thinking about it this morning and thought that a large dowel or a piece of handrail or clothes rack rod might approximate the curvature (Home Depot/Lowes usually sell by the linear foot) with a hole for the handle then the wood part clamped into a vice. Was also thinking adding heat either in some boiling water, heat gun or hair dryer on high would help, just steer clear of striking the teeth directly.

I bought an old type but the shave was a little rough. I've since bought some Canadian New long combs and a New short comb and get the type of shave I like, smooth and comfortable.

I bought an old type but the shave was a little rough. I've since bought some Canadian New long combs and a New short comb and get the type of shave I like, smooth and comfortable.
So which one gives you a better shave the new short comb or the new long comb?

For me, the original 1904 design gives a fine shave, but the handle is too thin. The Bulldog handle was a significant improvement - gives the same fine shave, but with greater comfort in the process. Comparing the Bulldog to a New Improved - - the Bulldog still wins! Comparing the Old Type Big Fellow to the New Improved Big Fellow is really the best way to examine the original question - since the handles are the same, and basically only the shaving heads are different - the Old Type still wins!

Is there a big difference between all the Old Types like double and single ring, thin and thick cap etc? I only have the most common one and that's the thick cap ball end model.

For me, the original 1904 design gives a fine shave, but the handle is too thin. The Bulldog handle was a significant improvement - gives the same fine shave, but with greater comfort in the process. Comparing the Bulldog to a New Improved - - the Bulldog still wins! Comparing the Old Type Big Fellow to the New Improved Big Fellow is really the best way to examine the original question - since the handles are the same, and basically only the shaving heads are different - the Old Type still wins!
Aah, I started into the Gillette razors in a pretty good spot then, Old Type with 102 thin cap.
I really like the most efficient razors, it seems. I don't want to go less efficient. On these I don't want to buy them all to try if others advise me.

Okay. This thread made me want to revisit the old type. I may not have been ready when I got a ball end early into safety razors. What I remember was the crap handle that I ineptly tried to repair. I didn't fiddle with the blade because I didn't know it was a thing. Did it ever happen that I got a bad shave out of it? Maybe because every shave with it was a challenge. I got it and a New LC together for a couple bucks at an antique shop. I got bad shaves with the Fatip too. I have tried the solid bar slant.it is much better than my piccolo was with a sharp blade, but, where the piccolo bit me the gentile tugged. Now I am having better shaves with the New De Luxe and the New SC. I could probably handle a FOCS. I can use my Timeless BR now too. So it was time to revisit the old type. I found a Bulldog on etsy. I never look at etsy. The guy that bought my donation pointed me to a British #15 Aristocract with a solid bar. I looked through looking for another De Luxe and saw the Bulldog. Prettiest Old Type with a handle you can shave with. I am very interested in how I will deal with what used to be my scariest razor.

Top Bottom