What's new

gillette old vs new - which do you prefer?

hey so ive got a long comb new and the old gillette too, really interested to hear as to which one you lot prefer?

R

romsitsa

It depends. Thin cap Single ring, SC with a heavier handle and the Big Boy Deluxe deliver equal results, but feel very differently. The rest of the Old and New gang were less exciting for me.

Reactions: saj
It depends. Thin cap Single ring, SC with a heavier handle and the Big Boy Deluxe deliver equal results, but feel very differently. The rest of the Old and New gang were less exciting for me.
i might have to agree with you in terms of them both not being razors you get excited about

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have LC, SC, FB and RFB Gillette NEW
And a 1914 Gillette Bulldog I really appreciate and enjoy all of them.
I really like the history that goes along with each one. If I had to choose just one it would be the Bulldog.
PXL_20211012_131732178~2.jpg

I've only used a thick cap Old Type with a ball end handle and NEW LC also with a ball end handle and I find the LC to be much better. The Old Type has a slight blade chatter and it feels rough. I also have to make sure the blade is even on both sides and it's just not my cup of tea. A SC will arrive somewhere this month and somewhere next year my FB and RFB will arrive from England to try them out.

I did about 40 years with a ball end, thick cap, NDC Old Type. It taught me to prefer light agile razors with well clamped blades. I'm thinking @Medivh has an OT that performs differently than any of mine. Gillette made a lot of brass 3 piece razors over many years. Then those razors traveled different paths. So YMMV is certain.

My Single Ring, New Improved, New LC, New SC, and New Deluxe experience will never match 4 decades of OT shaving. I gave granddad's OT to his namesake great grandson.

With sentiment out of the equation, shaving qualities only, I'll rate them (for me) from best vintage Gillette to extremely good Gillette razors:

New SC common bar
New LC common bar or ball end
a slight gap
Single Ring (and thin cap OT)
thick cap OT
a slight gap
New Improved
New Deluxe

I've never truly loved a Gillette TTO.

Last edited:
The NEW is probably my absolute favorite vintage DE.

Its been several years since I used the OLD, but I remember it wasn't a pleasant experience. Since changing my prep routine, I need to revisit the OLD and give it another try.

I did about 40 years with a ball end, thick cap, NDC Old Type. It taught me to prefer light agile razors with well clamped blades. I'm thinking @Medivh has an OT that performs differently than any of mine. Gillette made a lot of brass 3 piece razors over many years. Then those razors traveled different paths. So YMMV is certain.

My Single Ring, New Improved, New LC, New SC, and New Deluxe experience will never match 4 decades of OT shaving. I gave granddad's OT to his namesake great grandson.

With sentiment out of the equation, shaving qualities only, I'll rate them (for me) from best vintage Gillette to extremely good Gillette razors:

New SC common bar
New LC common bar or ball end
a slight gap
Single Ring (and thin cap OT)
thick cap OT
a slight gap
New Improved
New Deluxe

I've never truly loved a Gillette TTO.

YMMV is the ruler of wet shaving. I always thought that since Old Types and the older versions were made when Gillette was still using the thicker 3 hole blades, maybe that explains why some people find them uncomfortable and that they have to move the blade around like they do with Fatip razors.

I have LC, SC, FB and RFB Gillette NEW
And a 1914 Gillette Bulldog I really appreciate and enjoy all of them.
I really like the history that goes along with each one. If I had to choose just one it would be the Bulldog.View attachment 1344968
What a great picture! Look at those nice razors accompanied by your handles. Just beautiful.

Top Bottom