What's new

Gillette Old Type Question

IMG_0592.JPG
IMG_0601.JPG
IMG_0596.JPG
IMG_0590.JPG
About two years ago I picked up this 1915 ball end Old Type at an antique store. At the time I was really enjoying my pre-war Tech, so this got tucked away with my other razors for a while, until curiosity got the best of me and I decided to clean it up and give it a whirl. I was blown away at what an awesome shave this 100 year old razor gave me! It has since easily become my favorite, go-to razor.

What I am wondering about this razor is the lack of any markings except for the serial number. I've seen ABC razors that lack Gillette logos and MADE IN U.S.A. markings, but they all have the ornate handles. The case has no Gillette markings (inside or out), but the blade holder has the Gillette logo. Is this common for razors of the era? I'm just trying to figure out exactly what I have.

Both my 1911 Single Rings lack the Gillette logo and made in the USA. I think they stated adding those in 1916 or 17. I think it should have a patent date on the handle though. Is there one on the side I can't see?

Both my 1911 Single Rings lack the Gillette logo and made in the USA. I think they stated adding those in 1916 or 17. I think it should have a patent date on the handle though. Is there one on the side I can't see?
I too have two single rings (1906 and a 1920's w/no serial number). Neither says Gillette. But I'm curious about the ball end since most seem to have the logo. There is no patent date on the handle.

My earliest ball end is 1918, and has all the marks. I'll be interested to see what others have to say about it.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I say she's a beauty and I'm all eyes to see what some of the well versed people say!

"Made in USA" became standard on Gillette razors and many other US products when we entered the first World War.

The Gillette diamond logo doesn't appear on some early OLD types for reasons unknown to me.

"Made in USA" became standard on Gillette razors and many other US products when we entered the first World War.

The Gillette diamond logo doesn't appear on some early OLD types for reasons unknown to me.
Interesting about the Made In USA mark appearing around WWI. So for now, the lack of markings on some razors will remain a mystery.

Interesting. With the case, it resembles a late teens, early 1920s Pocket Edition. Yet the serial number on the base plate puts it at 1915. I also know that Gillette cobbled together parts they had on hand.

I have one of those and it is an awesome shaver! One of my favorites, if not my favorite. Plus Im just really into the idea of shaving with something that is 100 years old. It has survived all these years and I ended up with it. I bet the original purchaser never even considered that some jackass 100 years later would still be using it. LOL

The "diamond and arrow" logo was introduced in 1908, I've read. I wonder if this was an earlier un-serialized razor head that was returned and refurbished. Some plates have early original serial numbers and later refurbishment numbers.

R

romsitsa

The case is silver plated, but can't figure out the razor, is it silver or nickel?
Is the head the thin or thick type?
The only ball ends that had no patent stamps are the post 1921 ones, but these also lacked serial nrs. 1915 razors have at least the Gillette diamond, serial a patent stamps, so a vague guess of mine:
This could be a Canadian thin cap head (or baseplate) on a later ball end handle.

Adam

1915 would put it right at the transition away from the cast ABC handles to the hollow ball-end ones. That would also jibe with the case being a four-rivet style (like the later ABC ones) but without the patent inscription on the bottom. The guard plate missing the "Made in..." stamp and even the diamond is a little unusual, but in this transitional period I wouldn't consider it extremely strange.

The only thing I'm a little wary about there is the handle. If it's missing the patent date in either of the smooth bands, as it appears to be, it's likely that someone swapped in a handle from a later post-patent Old Type.

I have a ball end made in 1916 that only has the diamond logo. The case is like yours and has no patent marks on the handle, but I wouldn't swear it was the original handle. I have a 1917 single ring that has a diamond logo and MADE IN USA. I also have 2 ABC sets, 1909 and 1910 that have nothing. I'm not sure if this helps or confuses thing more.

The case is silver plated, but can't figure out the razor, is it silver or nickel?
Is the head the thin or thick type?
The only ball ends that had no patent stamps are the post 1921 ones, but these also lacked serial nrs
The razor is silver plated, and the head is a thin type. Since taking the picture, I have used the aluminum foil/baking soda trick and has cleaned up even nicer. Based on the coloring and wear, I believe that the handle is original to the head.

1915 would put it right at the transition away from the cast ABC handles to the hollow ball-end ones. That would also jibe with the case being a four-rivet style (like the later ABC ones) but without the patent inscription on the bottom. The guard plate missing the "Made in..." stamp and even the diamond is a little unusual, but in this transitional period I wouldn't consider it extremely strange.

The only thing I'm a little wary about there is the handle. If it's missing the patent date in either of the smooth bands, as it appears to be, it's likely that someone swapped in a handle from a later post-patent Old Type.

Your thoughts on the transitional period make sense. I agree that the handle could have been swapped at some point, but based only on appearance it seems to be the original.

Either way, it's my favorite piece and will always be in my rotation. Thanks for the replies!

Top Bottom