What's new

Gillette Old Type a thing of beauty (smoothly aggressive)

If you like smooth aggressive razors a few changes to an Old Type Ball end makes this 100-year-old razor the cat's meow.

Through the years there has been one constant off and on razor in my rotation and that's the Gillette's Old Type, a 1906 (Standard which I have a few of that I very rarely use because I don't like the handle and can't change it out for another), 1910 thin head (3 piece Ball end) 1918 military (3 piece Ball end which has a SN), and two 1920's (Ball end no SN) that has a slightly thicker head. Both the thin and thick used the only DE blade that was made in those years which were a thick DE blade (which I've never used). As far as the differences between these razors using the new thin blades that were made after 1928, the new blade does not work well with the early type razor, though the thin blades work fairly well with the later thicker type razor (basically thin or thick it's a very sharp blade sandwiched between 2 thin pieces of metal, so no matter what you do your going to feel the blade).

The first game changer with these razors for daily use is to apply a shim (the shim creates a thicker blade that mimics the original, you could add a 2nd shim if you like) this raise's the blade off the bottom plate (I use Wizamet Polsilver, Super Iridium, and Wizamet Iridium Super blades). The second is that the 3 piece allows me to change out the handle for one that I like which makes the Old Type a much better shaver. A different handle completely changes the shave with the added weight, dia, and length for better maneuverability and blade performance (I use two stork handles both are the Aristocrat design one is TI the other Brass, both are 13 x 90).

Now for the shave, I like both heads I can't tell the difference in the shave (to me there's such a minuscule difference), they're not bulky and have wonderful ability to get into tight places. I enjoy the feel of the blade that the thinness of the heads provides and the wonderful feedback it gives. For me, with the blades, I use along with an excellent soap these razors gives an extremely smooth aggressive shave (if you are new to this razor be careful it will bite).

In comparing Old Type and Modern looking over my collection of razors I believe no other razor produced past or present has the thinness of head as the Old Types. (CG L3 is closest of most of the modern razors all other have considerably thicker heads),

If interested in trying an Old Type 3 piece (most of them are ball ends) you can pick one up on eBay for $20-$40 depending on the condition. Remember the teeth must be straight and the razor head not to abused (I've sent out a few heads for re-plating, I prefer Silver over Nickel). As for the original handle, I do not care about its condition it if there are no creaks that great (I never use them anyway) be aware that most of the handles for this razor have creaks at the top or bottom or at both ends. I always change out the handle and add a shim for a much-improved shaver.

L - Thick Head R - Thin Head
Gil old type.jpg
Gil old type 3.jpg
Gil old type 5.jpg
Gil old type 2.jpg
Gil old type 4.jpg
Gillette Old Type Standard.jpg

Mr Razor Old Type Standard

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It's a good read. Liking that bulldog handle above ...

OLDs are funny. Even comparing specifically, single ring vs. single ring etc., some bite and some don't.

The OLD that comes with the khaki set, I've about given up on. Nickle plate may last, but that model rashes me out.

AA

Brother Bijou

Thank you for the outstanding information!

I have always loved the looks of the OT razors, but I have found they don't shave as smoothly as many of their newer corporate brethren. I'm going to try some of the strategies you have suggested, such as shimming, thicker handles, and so forth.

Thanks for the review. I haven't shimmed any of my old types yet, but I think I will soon give it a try when it's the OT's turn in my rotation.

I also recently picked up some nos original thick blades and may try one.

Brother Bijou

Thank you for the outstanding information!

I have always loved the looks of the OT razors, but I have found they don't shave as smoothly as many of their newer corporate brethren. I'm going to try some of the strategies you have suggested, such as shimming, thicker handles, and so forth.
Thanks for reading my post, if need be you can also try some pre shave oil (you can make a little of your own 2 pts caster oil 1 part olive oil that you can get at the supermarket)

I have quite a few old types. A double ring, three or four single rings, two ABCs, and a handful of ball ends both thin and thick caps. I can appreciate that some brethren here find the need to shim their razors, but I have never had the desire to complicate my shave to the point of adding shims or O-rings or whatever to “improve” my shaving experience. All my old types do a great job as is, and those thinking about trying an old type should understand that to get a great shave modification is not required. That being said, shimming may improve the shave (which I have never tried) and anyone desiring to chase a better shave should consider shimming if they want. My point is that those wanting to try an old type can get a great shave simply as is.

The main reason that an old type "bites" is dents on the corners of the cap. A drop onto a tile floor will raise quite a bump there, where there must NOT be one, and the result is that the cap clamps on the bump and leaves the blade loose. Loose blades bite.

Overtightening or dropping can warp both the cap and the baseplate, too.

Check your old types carefully. Bumps on corners can be tapped down with a jeweler's hammer or very carefully filed off, and it's not that hard to straighten the cap or baseplate. The cap must clamp the blade down all across the width, no gaps. They are soft, it's easy to get them straight again with some care, and they shave much better with the blade clamped.

Original blades were 0.006", modern ones are 0.004", not enough difference to feel.

D5FC7B0F-D526-44FE-9CDA-9B8823E29D15.jpeg
E454CC3C-2BE6-4F27-93CD-00EDE97945ED.jpeg
My 1920s ball end replated Old Type (my avatar) is smooth and efficient. My Canadian Goodwill #164, although it looks different and is slightly more difficult to load a blade in, shaves and feels almost exactly the same on my face. These designs are winners as far as I am concerned.

• Love
Reactions: Anu
Relative terms aren't as important as absolute here, I don't think. A modern "thin" blade has the edge 0.001" closer to the baseplate that an original three hole (and I have a pile of used three hole blades from Germany that are 0.08mm thick -- 0.004"). Putting a shim under the blade raises the edge 0.003" ABOVE where the original was, not a huge amount but far more difference than without a shim.

I doubt the baseplates are within 0.001" of each other between examples, particularly after 100 years of use.

But shave how you want! I still recommend making sure the blade is properly clamped -- modern blades will surely vibrate more if they are loose than the originals.

Those razors look absolutely gorgeous when outfitted with nice handles as shown in the OP's post. The "aristocrat" or "bulldog" pattern looks great and is functional, too.

It's hard to find an Old Type in good condition. Many of them have been dropped far too many times. But one that is in good condition is a fine shaver, to be sure.

Relative terms aren't as important as absolute here, I don't think. A modern "thin" blade has the edge 0.001" closer to the baseplate that an original three hole (and I have a pile of used three hole
Absolutely correct that absolute rules here. To put things in perspective, a one thou gap difference corresponds to about 1/3 of a click on a Gillette adjustable.

The Old Type with a modern thin blade is closer to that of an original thick blade than adding a shim. A shim makes it shave better for some, but no longer like an Old Type to me.

Why mess with perfection?

Looking at the pictures above of an Old Type with the thin cap and the thick handle, reminds me of the appearance and the possible performance of a Gillette New Improved razor. Agree? Or disagree?

Top Bottom