What's new

Gillette "Old/New" Guy interested in trying TTOs

Hi All,

When it comes to Gillette, I have been a die-hard "Old Type" and "New Type" fan for several years and use them exclusively (as opposed to other Gillette razors). I've been looking around Ebay lately at Gillette TTOs, especially the SSs and Aristocrats. Just want to hear some opinions on the different TTOs. For instance, I hear the red flare tip SS is more aggressive than the blue flare tip. Is there really anything to this or just another YMMV? Also, are any of the TTOs brass or are they all zinc alloy. Were they brass up to a certain year and then changed material? Also, buying tips on things to look for as well as watch out for when looking to buy online. I tend towards more aggressive razors but am also wondering about smoothness. Whew! I have lots of questions. Thanks in advance for helping me as I head down a new path. :)

-polaris

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Grab a user grade Red Tip SS. All brass, won't let you down. Just look for it to be straight, good plating, and no damage. I'm sure some of the other guys here, more experienced than I, can give you more ideas what to look for.

Try to get as many pictures as needed to come to a decision.

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

As far as I know, the only materials Gillette used in the various TTO's were brass, steel, plastic, and aluminum. No zinc. @mgbbrown would be a better knowledge base for that. (not much steel)

For instance, I hear the red flare tip SS is more aggressive than the blue flare tip. Is there really anything to this or just another YMMV?
That is totally true, according to Gillette's own advertising:
proxy.php

The "Regular" one has an unpainted flair tip. See http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1950s Super-Speed Medium England.JPG
Also, are any of the TTOs brass or are they all zinc alloy.
I don't know about all of them, but I believe the Slim Adjustable is all brass with nickel plating. (I could be wrong about the handle.)
At any rate, a Slim would be a good choice for an adjustable TTO.

Last edited:
I trust the toucan. Also check out the British Rockets. I have a NEW LC and a Parat (the West German version). I get similar results.

For the Super Speeds and 195 Adjustable as TTO's- Gillette used brass as the base metal until the Black Tip Super Speed and early resumption of the 1940's style from W2 1952 until X3 or X4. During that period, the American involvement in the Korean War was at its height, and brass was at a premium, as it was used for shell casings, particularly artillery shell casings. Black Tip Super Speeds could have steel or aluminum handles, or steel heads. Following the eand of the Black Tip Super Speed production- early 1940's style Super Speeds could have left-over Black Tip Super Speed steel handles or heads. once this stock was depleted- producing resumed in all-brass as a base metal. Black Tip Super Speeds had a Bakelite TTO knob. There was also a brass TTO knob variant of the Black Tip in early W@ of the 1952 production, and a tan tip, which may be Catalin, a Bakelite is usually black or brown. The filler material in the Bakelite was asbestos to handle heat and cold extremes in the razor environment. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Attachments

• Korean War Shell Casings Granger.jpg
    Korean War Shell Casings Granger.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Gillette 1951 W3 Black Tip Super Speed White Tip TTO Knob  Variant .JPG
    Gillette 1951 W3 Black Tip Super Speed White Tip TTO Knob Variant .JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Gillette Black Tip Super Speed  Nickel Plated Brass TTO Knob  W2 Date Code.JPG
    Gillette Black Tip Super Speed Nickel Plated Brass TTO Knob W2 Date Code.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Gillette Black Tip  Super Speed  with Nickel Plated Brass TTO Knob 1951 W2 .JPG
    Gillette Black Tip Super Speed with Nickel Plated Brass TTO Knob 1951 W2 .JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Gillette 1952 X4 Super Speed and Black Tip 1951 Style Case Opened Close View.JPG
    Gillette 1952 X4 Super Speed and Black Tip 1951 Style Case Opened Close View.JPG
    275.7 KB · Views: 15
IMHO...The Best TTO's were made between 1940 and 1950, US or British. 1951+ TTO's are not bad, I favor the earlier ones though.

Last edited:
All the Super Speeds are great shavers. (I've never tried a Blue Tip though.) The '58 Flare I just used got me as close to BBS as I ever get.

Grab a user grade Red Tip SS. All brass, won't let you down. Just look for it to be straight, good plating, and no damage. I'm sure some of the other guys here, more experienced than I, can give you more ideas what to look for.

Try to get as many pictures as needed to come to a decision.

Kindly,
Adam

Yes^. Red Tips are more aggressive than Blue. The plain SS lie in between Blue and Red Tips. I have a C1 Red Tip, and it is a fairly aggressive razor. That said, if I set my Fat Boy on 8 or 9, it is more aggressive than the Red Tip.

I have had tremendous success with a '49 Super Speed. The razor has performed admirably, despite the user's clumsiness.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom