What's new

Gillette new standard question

I dont have one of these razors and was thinking of adding one to my collection. But Im wondering how it shaves. Can anyone who has one compare it to another vintage gillette?
Meaning does it shave like a short comb tech? It looks like one. Or is it more like an old? What is your opinion?

I love vintage razors and the handle on this one really looks nice.

Thanks.

First off, there is no such thing as a short comb Tech. I assume you meant to say short comb New? The New Standard, in my opinion, is more aggressive than a short comb New.

To me is doesn't really feel like an Old Type, either.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The New Standard razor using the New Improved head design is possibly the most blade feel I've gotten out of a Gillette, bar none.

I find the New DeLuxe to be toned down a bit and more friendly than the New Improved. Harder to find but much smoother.

lasta

Blade Biter
Apart from adjustables, I too have never found anything more blade forward than the NI.

Don't quote me on being precise, but I would say the NI is about a 7 on a Gillette Slim.

For reference:
Tech/Superspeed - 4
Red Tip/Rocket - 5-5.5
New (LC/RFB) - 6

Definitely blade feel with the NEW Improved, yet also a comfortable and very effective shave. I assume the NEW Standard is in that same ballpark - but given the earlier posters YMMV.

Guido

The NEW Short Comb has geometry fairly close to the pre-war Tech, except with the open comb and a different manufacturing process.

The New Standard is more aggressive with more blade feel, as posted above.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If you mean like the example below then I found it to be the most aggressive Gillette I have used, more than a Slim set on 9. It was not relaxing to use because of the constant fear of getting bitten, especially ATG on the top lip. A beautiful razor for sure but I simply did not enjoy using it and sold it.

20210629_130823~2.jpg

Well, thank you all for your opinions. And yes, I ment the short comb new not tech.

I do like the look of the handle on these razors but looks are just a small part of it. I like to enjoy my shave, not have a bunch of blade feel. That is not something i enjoy at all.

So thank you for this. If one of these falls in my hands for a low cost i will get it for the collection, but to go out and spend big money on one i will pass.

lasta

Blade Biter
Well, thank you all for your opinions. And yes, I ment the short comb new not tech.

I do like the look of the handle on these razors but looks are just a small part of it. I like to enjoy my shave, not have a bunch of blade feel. That is not something i enjoy at all.

So thank you for this. If one of these falls in my hands for a low cost i will get it for the collection, but to go out and spend big money on one i will pass.
Get one, it's not that aggressive. In fact, by modern standards it's a ***** cat! I shaved with a slim at 7 for more than 15 years before I knew any better.

Added bonus of being one of the smoothest open combs ever made.

Get a new long and/or short comb first. They’re more forgiving. The new improved is aggressive and isn’t really the best first open comb if you haven’t tried one.

It’s definitely worth taking the time to keep it on your radar. I picked up mine years ago with straight teeth for $25 as a tuck away model.

R

romsitsa

First off, there is no such thing as a short comb Tech.

Actually there is and now you want one.

Actually there is and now you want one.
That's a good will tech! And yes now I want one. lol

R

romsitsa

Goodwill based on a short comb with a safety bar, so SC Tech. But two? years ago there also was a US New with safety bar for sale although I can not recall whether it was a SC or LC.

I have a three new long combs and two new short combs. I do like the new sc as it gives me a nice shave. I was hoping this razor would be like the new short. Guess not. I will find one of these at a low cost and add one to my collection some day. I was thinking of going all out as backroads has a nice one ready to go. But i think i will hold off on spending that much on a razor i might not get along with.

Thanks to all who posted and helped answer my question.

I might be in the minority here, but I find the New Improved to be a one of if not my favorite Gillette razor. I also have a 3 piece version of the 15mm NEW De Luxe and I've had a couple of shaves with it, but I don't like it. The shave itself feels more like scraping rather than slicing and it's very uncomfortable and if it wasn't for the fact that I wanted to own that particular model as part of my humble collection, I would have sold it right after my first shave.

The New Improved however feels like it was made for me. I really like the angle that it requires and it just shaves really well and I'm honestly surprised that people find it aggressive and not very comfortable. Then again, there are two types of New Improved model and I think mine is the first version and the second might be a bit more aggressive, who knows?

Anyways, if you really want a NEW De Luxe and you don't want to spend months of camping and hunting to find one in the wild in decent condition without competing with fake accounts on Ebay and end up paying more than the razor is worth, I'd say buy the iKon NEW De Luxe clone for much less and be happy about it. I was very lucky to find mine in the wild without spending too much money on it and if it wasn't for that, I would have bought the iKon clone instead.

Top Bottom