What's new

Gillette NEW Question

Hi all. The best shave I've ever had is from an iKon B1 Open Comb. However I really want to purchase a vintage razor, namely a Gillette NEW, as it looks like it would give me just as good a shave as the iKon, and they look great. Especially the long comb version - very similar to the iKon.

I own a Gillette TECH but don't like the way the blade sticks out at the ends of the razor head. Simple question - are the ends of the blades visible/stick out on either a NEW Long Comb or Short Comb?

Thanks in advance.

Yes but don't let that dissuade you from getting the NEW LC. In my humble opinion, this is the best razor ever made and I use it every day.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I personally cant get the LC to work ATG on my neck, but the NEW SC does. It has better blade support and very similar to the Tech but yes, blades tabs are exposed.

I believe the RazoRock DE1/TeckII heads cover the tabs and are very much the same as a Gillette Tech.

SC on the left, LC on the right.

IMG_1458.jpg IMG_1459.jpg

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I think you can find one fairly cheap out there to try and if you don't like it, you could put it on the BST.

Kindly,
Adam

I sometimes have trouble identifying SC and LC when looking at pictures at FleaBay. Thank you very much for these pics I think they will be helpful next time.
As told to me by many folks here, LC has logo on one side of the bottom of the base plate and SC has logo in the middle.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I sometimes have trouble identifying SC and LC when looking at pictures at FleaBay. Thank you very much for these pics I think they will be helpful next time.

You're welcome.

Here are a few more, SC on the left in all pics.

IMG_1447.jpg IMG_1455.jpg IMG_1462.jpg

Thank you very much! This afternoon I was already able to identify correctly LCs and SCs, though I am under the impression that LCs seem to be more common?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thank you very much! This afternoon I was already able to identify correctly LCs and SCs, though I am under the impression that LCs seem to be more common?

From the looking around I've done, which has been quite a lot lately lol, yes, LC razors seem to be much more common. I've seen very few NEW SC razors on Ebay, but I havent been specifically looking for them either.

I have no idea the numbers made of each type so I'm really not sure why SC are so rarely seen listed.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Something I might add in regards to the Gillette NEW SC.

See this thread: Gillette NEW LC Not Cutting It

Post #19 by rabidus

Unfortunately, in typical Gillette fashion, the SC was sold with all of the other razors caps, the Deluxe 15 and 17mm, LC, prewar Tech and the original SC cap. The SC cap and 15mm Deluxe cap seem to offer the most blade exposure, with the LC cap a little less and the prewar Tech offering the least blade exposure. Only the SC cap and prewar Tech cap can be identified in a picture. The SC cap has squared off corner tabs and the prewar Tech has the short blade aligning bars. The SC cap doesn't fit any other baseplate.

SC cap on the left, LC on the right.

IMG_1468.JPG IMG_1469.JPG

I see a NEW SC listed on Ebay. It doesnt appear to have the correct SC cap on it. Also something to watch for.

1930s Gillette New Short Comb Safety Razor W Blade | eBay

Last edited:
I have no idea the numbers made of each type so I'm really not sure why SC are so rarely seen listed.

The LC without patent numbers was made from 1929 through May of 1932. Not sure when they stopped making the LC. The SC was made after May of 1932 when they started stamping patent numbers, they all have patent numbers. There's probably a lot more LC's out there with a 3 year head start.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The LC without patent numbers was made from 1929 through May of 1932. Not sure when they stopped making the LC. The SC was made after May of 1932 when they started stamping patent numbers, they all have patent numbers. There's probably a lot more LC's out there with a 3 year head start.

You sir, are an encyclopedia! Theres so much to learn, but I am.

Top Bottom