What's new

Gillette New & Prewar Tech Caps

I recently purchased a two lot set of razors, a Gillette New and a so-called Prewar tech. I determined the Tech model by the triangular shaped slots on the base plate. But the top cap has a long continuous bar, not the two short bars I understood that came with the Prewar model. Do I have parts from two razors? I will probably replace this cap because the threads are mangled, although Loctite seems to be working. I will test it after it sets up.
The Gold New has lost a lot of plating, so I polished the cap for a very nice look. I note that the color is more copper toned than my solid brass Old Type.
The Shave: I used the New cap on the Tech base plate for a very good shave (with a week old blade).
Question: are the same sized caps used on the New and the Prewar Tech? The calipers inidicate the same thickness at the tops, and the same width. Are there other, more subtle differences, or are they identical?
The picture with the single cap shows the oxided brass on the New before polishing.
83E83F51-0D07-4070-B849-647DA9CEEEDE.jpeg

Attachments

• 4A0B7CE6-E696-422E-BD6D-CEA4BDFB46B1.jpeg
    4A0B7CE6-E696-422E-BD6D-CEA4BDFB46B1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
I have often wondered this myself, as well as what the difference between pre and post-war tech cap dimensions may be. I do have a few of the triangle slot pre-war models with the continuous bar in my collection so I would say that there is reason to believe these are original to the razors. To hazard a guess these would be later in the triangle tech production. I also have NEW short and long comb razors with the two bar Tech cap from late NEW production.

I believe that Gillette designed these caps to be interchangeable and different periods show a predominate style of cap, with overlap between the designs. So - is a long comb NEW cap the same as a Tech cap? Your findings seem to indicate that they may be.

I have often wondered this myself, as well as what the difference between pre and post-war tech cap dimensions may be. I do have a few of the triangle slot pre-war models with the continuous bar in my collection so I would say that there is reason to believe these are original to the razors. To hazard a guess these would be later in the triangle tech production. I also have NEW short and long comb razors with the two bar Tech cap from late NEW production.

I believe that Gillette designed these caps to be interchangeable and different periods show a predominate style of cap, with overlap between the designs. So - is a long comb NEW cap the same as a Tech cap? Your findings seem to indicate that they may be.
There is a thread in the Shavers Den giving the history of the Tech. The author claims that the Prewar Tech (1938-1945) with triangular slots came with a cap with two bars, which was replaced by the long bar and oval slots after 1945. But most of the fat handle techs I have seen break this pattern: oval slots with short bars or triangular slots with long bars. In fact, my Gillette New (1929-1938) comes with a long bar, showing that this type of bar preceded the first techs. Perhaps both styles were used on the early techs for a while, especially if Gillette decided to continue producing the same caps when they switched to the tech. But your experience indicates that some of the News also had short bars. Hmmm. Were there different US factories with different designs, or perhaps different casting tools in the same factory?
FWIW: Something similar apparently happened with the Gillette Super Speed. My early 1958 (D1) has a 1957 tip (bottom knob), and I have seen another D1 recently with the same configuration.

Last edited:
No, the Tech cap matches the Tech, long bar, short bars makes no difference.
Prewar Tech caps are a hair thinner then New caps.
That leads me to a further question. The prewar and early post war caps appear to be the same, are they? I have a damaged top cap on my prewar tech. Would replacing it with a similar early post war cap be considered an authentic replacement part, or is this now a frankenrazor? What I am really asking is would it shave like a prewar Tech, which some claim is a better razor.

And another Tech cap question. When did the caps start appearing with “Gillette” inscribed in large letters on top? I read somewhere that it began in the early 50s. But I have seen a few well preserved silver fat handled techs, including a couple of prewar models with these “Gillette Caps.”

There is a thread in the Shavers Den giving the history of the Tech. The author claims that the Prewar Tech (1938-1945) with triangular slots came with a cap with two bars, which was replaced by the long bar and oval slots after 1945. But most of the fat handle techs I have seen break this pattern: oval slots with short bars or triangular slots with long bars. In fact, my Gillette New (1929-1938) comes with a long bar, showing that this type of bar preceded the first techs. Perhaps both styles were used on the early techs for a while, especially if Gillette decided to continue producing the same caps when they switched to the tech. But your experience indicates that some of the News also had short bars. Hmmm. Were there different US factories with different designs, or perhaps different casting tools in the same factory?
FWIW: Something similar apparently happened with the Gillette Super Speed. My early 1958 (D1) has a 1957 tip (bottom knob), and I have seen another D1 recently with the same configuration.
According to photos from Mr Razor prewar Techs have both short bars and long bars on the cap. I have a prewar with black plastic handle on reserve to purchase next week. It has one long bar.

And I also have a postwar fat handle for purchase that also has a long bar. But That one is no longer fully original as it has been replated.

Cheers,

Guido

Top Bottom