What's new

Gillette New Long Comb Question

It was a thin gold wash covered by a lacquer on all the original specimens I've seen. Has anyone seen a chromed or a nickel plated Gillette NEW razor from the factory, or in an old advertisement from the 1930's?

Good question. I've seen NEW Deluxe in original chrome, and Mr Razor has photos of some too.
But as for a 'normal' NEW LC (or SC even)...mine are gold. The nickel LC I had was a replate from USA.
Were there English NEW's in Rhodium? (I don't know...I'm asking too).

I have a 7-o-Clock NEW LC and it's chrome I think (I couldn't be lucky enough to find a Rhodium one).
I read somewhere (can we trust the internet to be right all the time) that 7-o-Clock was bought out by Gillette but traded under 7-o-Clock banner for a while after.
So, in this case I have an English made NEW LC that's chrome.
Yes, I have cleaned it up since photo was taken. It gives a great shave.

I have a Goodwill based on the New LC that is nickel plated. It appears to be original as it has a fair amount of brassing.

If you look at the vintage razors for sale section of razor emporium they have some new long combs with what looks like a nickel finish. They have them listed as "finish: original". One is made in England and one is made in US.

Most I have seen are the gold color, that is why I was wondering.

R

romsitsa

If we talk about the ball end LC New, vast majority is gold with or without a colored varnish on top, I had one and saw another one in factory nickel and according to German ads silver ones also existed.
British Deluxes came in gold, silver, chrome, rfb and fb in silver, nickel, gold.
US Deluxes in Gold and Chrome.
Rhodium came with the British gen1 TTO Aristocrat and was not used on New type razors.

Adam

Top Bottom