What's new

Gillette New in silver/nickel?

I have a Gillette new in gold. I'm curious if they are available in nickel as well? I haven't seen one. Mine is the long comb, and I'd prefer it in nickel. Are they out there or am I looking at a replace?

Yes they're out there. Definitely not as common as gold washed NEWs, but US nickel NEWs are out there.

England also produced nickel and silver NEWs.

So the search continues.
Although if they're rare, I may be happier with a replate. I was thinking of offering a trade in the marketplace, however considering the difference in availability, that may not be so even.

The English versions are much easier to find and they're better shavers anyway. [emoji14] Get yourself a silver RFB NEW. [emoji106]

They're also a bit more expensive, but you won't regret it.

Thanks for the input. I will look into that. Although I can't imagine it getting much better than the one I have other than visually. Mine is very nice, but not perfect. I do not prefer the gold. Seems I didn't mind it when I bought it though. Maybe I'm just trying to justify another purchase.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have seen some real nice one's re-plated in Rhodium not much money considering what people are asking for them on the bay.
I have a NEW LC in Rhodium that I just love.

Is rhodium sort of a satin finish? I'm not sure that's the term; I have a merkur 1904(or did; I PIFed the head, couldn't part with the handle) and I really liked the hue of the nickel better than chrome.

I scored a pretty worn one in gold of ebay several months ago, and since it was worn, sent it off to razorplate to have Chris work his magic. Looks and shaves great.

I scored a pretty worn one in gold of ebay several months ago, and since it was worn, sent it off to razorplate to have Chris work his magic. Looks and shaves great.

Did you go with rhodium? Would you mind posting a picture if so? At your convenience of course.

A pic of my razor is still up at razorplate, and the pics are way better than what I could post here. I just went with nickel, it was far cheaper in price, and looks great.

I was in a similar boat. Had a gold LC NEW. Loved the shave, didn't love the gold. Had Chris at Razorplate do it in nickel. He did his usual fine work. It looks beautiful and shaves great. Then a few months ago I bought a silver RFB. I don't think I've picked up the LC since.

$IMG_20150619_150319006_HDR.jpg$IMG_20150619_150333623_HDR.jpg$IMG_20150619_150350113_HDR.jpg

Fast Forward a few years:
1576130819213.png

Got somebody else's failed project for $10. Shaves Great in a test shave.

They stripped off all finish then put it on E-Bay. The head needed buffing to smooth out the scrapes & scratches & fits like new. The handle just needed a little buffing & acid etch before plating.

Buffing took longer than actual plating & it came out OK:
New LC Fat Handle.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom