What's new

Gillette New Improved: underappreciated?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Why do you always have to have a attitude?
I don't know why pointing out an error repeated is taken as attitude. I'm honestly trying to help you navigate here by improving your understanding.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Used it again today, with soapy science in doc's special blend for the lather.

Once again a fantastic, simple, smooth two-pass shave.

I'm with jmudrick on the comparison of the NI with the New Deluxe. Definitely more blade feel on the NI, but the shave is comfortable and without irritation. Today process that it can be used daily for several days (probably indefinitely) without a problem if it is used properly.

A keeper, for sure.

The only other New that is still in my stable is the RFB, which I haven't used in a while. Maybe next week I can pull that one out again and see how it compares. I know it has a lot less blade feel and is a smooth shaver.

Used it again today, with soapy science in doc's special blend for the lather.

Once again a fantastic, simple, smooth two-pass shave.

I'm with jmudrick on the comparison of the NI with the New Deluxe. Definitely more blade feel on the NI, but the shave is comfortable and without irritation. Today process that it can be used daily for several days (probably indefinitely) without a problem if it is used properly.

A keeper, for sure.

The only other New that is still in my stable is the RFB, which I haven't used in a while. Maybe next week I can pull that one out again and see how it compares. I know it has a lot less blade feel and is a smooth shaver.

I’d be interested in your comparison.

OK, so, as promised, a follow-up.

Yesterday morning I took the blade out of the NI and put it into my RFB New head. To make the comparison more apples-to-apples, I put the RFB New head onto an iKon Tuckaway handle (just slightly longer than the real Tuckaway handle that I used with the NI).

I hadn't shaved with the RFB New in a long time. I remembered it to be a very smooth, comfortable shaver. I remember calling it "a Tech with a comb." So I was surprised to note that it had a fair bit of blade feel. The shave didn't feel all that much different from the NI, on the first pass, nor on the second. The combs feel a little smoother. Comparing the heads side by side there is a much bigger gap on the NI, but I'm not sure the efficiency is all that much different. I got a smooth two-pass shave without any problems.

This morning I fired up the same set-up and tried it again. Once again, I was pretty impressed by the RFB New.

In order to do a really good comparison of these two razors, though, I think I will have to do a true shave-off. I can get two fresh Polsilver blades, load one into the RFB New on the iKon Tuckaway handle, and put the other in the actual Tuckaway (which, of course, has the NI head). Then I can shave one side of my face with the RFB "tuckaway" and the other with the NI Tuckaway, and see.

I will likely do the shave-off either tomorrow morning or Thursday morning. I'll let you know how it turns out.

OK, so, as promised, a follow-up.

Yesterday morning I took the blade out of the NI and put it into my RFB New head. To make the comparison more apples-to-apples, I put the RFB New head onto an iKon Tuckaway handle (just slightly longer than the real Tuckaway handle that I used with the NI).

I hadn't shaved with the RFB New in a long time. I remembered it to be a very smooth, comfortable shaver. I remember calling it "a Tech with a comb." So I was surprised to note that it had a fair bit of blade feel. The shave didn't feel all that much different from the NI, on the first pass, nor on the second. The combs feel a little smoother. Comparing the heads side by side there is a much bigger gap on the NI, but I'm not sure the efficiency is all that much different. I got a smooth two-pass shave without any problems.

This morning I fired up the same set-up and tried it again. Once again, I was pretty impressed by the RFB New.

In order to do a really good comparison of these two razors, though, I think I will have to do a true shave-off. I can get two fresh Polsilver blades, load one into the RFB New on the iKon Tuckaway handle, and put the other in the actual Tuckaway (which, of course, has the NI head). Then I can shave one side of my face with the RFB "tuckaway" and the other with the NI Tuckaway, and see.

I will likely do the shave-off either tomorrow morning or Thursday morning. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Any shave off would be more meaningful if the shaver were blinded. Also, it's equally important to let it be known if you are shaving one days growth or multiple days. Just something to think about.

You mentioned the comb on the RFB was comfortable. Do you also prefer the New LC?

Any shave off would be more meaningful if the shaver were blinded. Also, it's equally important to let it be known if you are shaving one days growth or multiple days. Just something to think about.

You mentioned the comb on the RFB was comfortable. Do you also prefer the New LC?
I agree, but I can't really do the comparison blind. The best I can do is to use them on the same day, loaded with the same blade, and using the same lather and then try to be as objective as I can. Any/all of these types of "shave-offs" are likely to be clouded by subjectivity, but I'll do the best I can.

So, this morning I did the first official head-to-head comparison of these two heads, both "mighty mites" in this comparison because of the Tuckaway handle. Last night I got out brand new Polsilver SI blades for both razors (my favorite and usual blade). Loading a blade into the RFB is dead simple and it's dead straight every time because of the way the head is designed, so that's a plus for the RFB. The NI, with it's bullets, is prone to misalignment of the blade, so blade loading takes a little bit longer. I only futzed around with it for about 30 seconds, though, before I had what looked to be perfect alignment. I used the NI on the original Tuckaway handle and the RFB on the iKon stainless steel Tuckaway handle. The iKon handle is admittedly heavier than the original Tuckaway handle.

From a purely aesthetic perspective, the NI wins hands down. The original Tuckaway handle is beautiful, and I love the lines of the combs on the NI, thicker and sloping gracefully versus those of the RFB, thin and bent abruptly to a fatter end, but both razors look nice.

This morning I lathered up a homemade soap sent to me graciously by our own "Jet Pilot" (Larry). There was a thread in the Soap subforum called "Tonight We Make Soap!" in which he describes the process. This soap has a ton of stearic, a boatload of glycerin, and five butters. Lathering takes a bit more time than simpler soaps, but the resulting lather is unctuous, dense, shiny, and slick. Fantastic lather for a shave off.

So, I used the NI on the left side of my face and the RFB on the right. I did the first pass as follows: left cheek, then right cheek; left neck, then right neck; left side of the mustache area then the chin, right side of the mustache area then the chin. Rinse.

During the first pass, the NI had a bit more blade feel. It felt EXTREMELY efficient. The RFB has some blade feel, too, but less, and it felt like it was less efficient. But when I checked the stubble after rinsing, I was really surprised to find that, if anything, there was more stubble remaining on the NI side.

Relathered and did the second pass the same way, except for this pass I did XTG. Very smooth and comfortable on both sides. I enjoyed the NI more, but I'm not really sure why. Both were comfortable and no problems were encountered.

After rinsing I did a stubble comparison. It was a tie. Both sides were DFS and comfortable. Face feel of the Jet Pilot soap with all its butters and glycerin was astounding. Like I had just had a facial mask or something.

I used an alcohol-based splash aftershave to see if there was any sting (Myrsol F./Extra). No sting or burn anywhere. Just a great shave.

So, for this round, I'd have to call it a tie. I will check stubble tonight and again tomorrow morning right before the shave to see if there are any differences that show up late. Then I will repeat the shave-off exactly the same way tomorrow except to switch sides.

I agree, but I can't really do the comparison blind. The best I can do is to use them on the same day, loaded with the same blade, and using the same lather and then try to be as objective as I can. Any/all of these types of "shave-offs" are likely to be clouded by subjectivity, but I'll do the best I can.

So, this morning I did the first official head-to-head comparison of these two heads, both "mighty mites" in this comparison because of the Tuckaway handle. Last night I got out brand new Polsilver SI blades for both razors (my favorite and usual blade). Loading a blade into the RFB is dead simple and it's dead straight every time because of the way the head is designed, so that's a plus for the RFB. The NI, with it's bullets, is prone to misalignment of the blade, so blade loading takes a little bit longer. I only futzed around with it for about 30 seconds, though, before I had what looked to be perfect alignment. I used the NI on the original Tuckaway handle and the RFB on the iKon stainless steel Tuckaway handle. The iKon handle is admittedly heavier than the original Tuckaway handle.

From a purely aesthetic perspective, the NI wins hands down. The original Tuckaway handle is beautiful, and I love the lines of the combs on the NI, thicker and sloping gracefully versus those of the RFB, thin and bent abruptly to a fatter end, but both razors look nice.

This morning I lathered up a homemade soap sent to me graciously by our own "Jet Pilot" (Larry). There was a thread in the Soap subforum called "Tonight We Make Soap!" in which he describes the process. This soap has a ton of stearic, a boatload of glycerin, and five butters. Lathering takes a bit more time than simpler soaps, but the resulting lather is unctuous, dense, shiny, and slick. Fantastic lather for a shave off.

So, I used the NI on the left side of my face and the RFB on the right. I did the first pass as follows: left cheek, then right cheek; left neck, then right neck; left side of the mustache area then the chin, right side of the mustache area then the chin. Rinse.

During the first pass, the NI had a bit more blade feel. It felt EXTREMELY efficient. The RFB has some blade feel, too, but less, and it felt like it was less efficient. But when I checked the stubble after rinsing, I was really surprised to find that, if anything, there was more stubble remaining on the NI side.

Relathered and did the second pass the same way, except for this pass I did XTG. Very smooth and comfortable on both sides. I enjoyed the NI more, but I'm not really sure why. Both were comfortable and no problems were encountered.

After rinsing I did a stubble comparison. It was a tie. Both sides were DFS and comfortable. Face feel of the Jet Pilot soap with all its butters and glycerin was astounding. Like I had just had a facial mask or something.

I used an alcohol-based splash aftershave to see if there was any sting (Myrsol F./Extra). No sting or burn anywhere. Just a great shave.

So, for this round, I'd have to call it a tie. I will check stubble tonight and again tomorrow morning right before the shave to see if there are any differences that show up late. Then I will repeat the shave-off exactly the same way tomorrow except to switch sides.

Nothing wrong with a tie. Wrapping the handles and randomly choosing one might be a way to do a blinded eval.

Nothing wrong with a tie. Wrapping the handles and randomly choosing one might be a way to do a blinded eval.
Wouldn't work for two reasons. First, the heads are different, and the differences aren't that subtle. Not to mention that my NI is sterling silver and my RFB is chrome over brass. Also the iKon Tuckaway handle is considerably heavier than the actual Tuckaway handle. So it would be obvious which was which.

I'm just going to do the best I can. I thought the NI would be clearly superior but this morning's shave-off ended in a tie, so I'm open to being wrong.

Shave number two of the throw-down is in the books. For the record, checking the stubble last night and again this morning prior to the shave showed that the RFB side had been a slightly closer shave. So I'm giving the win to the RFB for the first round.

For this morning, I switched sides of the face: RFB for the left side and NI for the right. Got a great lather with Soapy Science in the Mint Mint scent (love this soap), and went at it. After the first pass, both sides seemed about the same. After the second pass, they still seemed about the same. CCS+, no irritation. Used the Myrsol splash again and felt nothing at all. Just a great shave.

So, this morning, the two were clearly a tie. I will check stubble again tonight and tomorrow morning before deciding if a winner can be declared. If it turns out the RFB wins again, in the interest of science I will switch the handles, just to make sure that it isn't the extra weight of the iKon handle that is making the difference. I am trying to compare just the heads.

In any case, the difference between these two heads is miniscule. Both are amazing shavers.

After I'm done with the throwdown (perhaps one or two more shaves), I may well sell one of them. Because I can't see the point of having two razors that are so incredibly closely aligned in looks, design, and shave.

Shave number two of the throw-down is in the books. For the record, checking the stubble last night and again this morning prior to the shave showed that the RFB side had been a slightly closer shave. So I'm giving the win to the RFB for the first round.

For this morning, I switched sides of the face: RFB for the left side and NI for the right. Got a great lather with Soapy Science in the Mint Mint scent (love this soap), and went at it. After the first pass, both sides seemed about the same. After the second pass, they still seemed about the same. CCS+, no irritation. Used the Myrsol splash again and felt nothing at all. Just a great shave.

So, this morning, the two were clearly a tie. I will check stubble again tonight and tomorrow morning before deciding if a winner can be declared. If it turns out the RFB wins again, in the interest of science I will switch the handles, just to make sure that it isn't the extra weight of the iKon handle that is making the difference. I am trying to compare just the heads.

In any case, the difference between these two heads is miniscule. Both are amazing shavers.

After I'm done with the throwdown (perhaps one or two more shaves), I may well sell one of them. Because I can't see the point of having two razors that are so incredibly closely aligned in looks, design, and shave.

Wear rubber gloves and a blindfold.

Top Bottom