What's new

Gillette New Improved: underappreciated?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Number count, and condition.

Love my SCs, but there are fewer NIs, and then, the heavier, softer brass baseplate frequently reflects bent teeth from dropping ... and collectors (ahem) are picky. Having busted "teef" off a NI trying to straighten, I nowhave a perfect one ... and rarely use it. Don't want to drop it. Gatsby probably bought another when he bent a tooth!

SC is a great shave and the razor may be less elegant, but more durable. IMHO.

EDIT: here's one for the bravest:

AA

Brother Kingfish,

The Gillette New Improved razor from the 1920's is a beautiful razor (mine is triple-plated in silver, whatever that means), and very aggressive and efficient. Use great care, or it will bite your face.

I believe this meant that the razor was first plated with copper, then nickel and finally with silver.

The NIs are my favourite Gillette (tied with Fatboy). I've tried quite a few of the Olds and NEWs, however from the first shave with the NI, I've preferred them. The NEW SC is a great razor, however I like the heft, balance, and blade feel that comes with the NI. I have a New Standard, Tuckaway, and Tuckaway on a Big Fellow handle. Love them all and one day will add a very good condition NI or replated one to the den.

Guys, thanks for sharing your opinions and photos.

I agree that they are rarer, for sure, and usually more expensive. They are also a fair bit more aggressive, so they don't suit everybody.

I've never tried a SC New. I had a LC New at one time, and really enjoyed it. A smooth and mild shaver. Essentially a Tech with a comb, in my opinion (not that there's anything wrong with that). A New Deluxe and an iKon Deluxe OC (a modern version of the New Deluxe) came into my den and then went out. I liked both of them fairly well, but neither was better than my LC New.

I eventually replaced my LC New with a Raised Flat Bottom New, which I kept and still have in the den. Very similar to the American LC New but slightly more aggressive and slightly smoother, for me. This one is a keeper.

This morning, I shaved with the Tuckaway NI again. Wow. Even better today.

The last time I shaved with the NI before yesterday morning was before I learned to shave with a straight razor. I liked it back then but felt that it had too much blade feel and it felt too "dangerous." Now, after shaving with a straight razor well over 300 times, it feels positively safe. I am now also able to use that blade feel to my advantage, having learned how to make a straight razor provide a good, safe shave. I am adjusting the angle, pressure, and my face stretching continuously to provide the smoothest surface and the perfect amount of pressure. I do this automatically because of my straight razor experience.

This has really changed how I feel about the NI. Granted, there is probably a recency bias, since my last two shaves were with this razor (and I haven't used the RFB New in a month or more), but now it seems to me that the NI actually shaves BETTER than the RFB New. It feels like it just catapulted into my favorite of the "New" razors.

Just a fantastic shave. Efficiency is top notch. I could've stopped at one pass this morning and had a good shave; I did one more quick, easy pass and had an EXCELLENT shave. Love this razor!

Here is my take in NI vs ND at least on this day. Fresh BIC blade in both, one day growth both beard and head.

First these are for me the two best handling Gillettes hands down, both perfectly balanced, handle length and grip spot on.

The New Improved has immediately more blade feel. Some may not like that but for me it makes it easier to find optimum angle and pressure. Both beard and head shave very close and adequately efficient.

The New Deluxe is much easier to zip around my head, it is considerably less bladey. On the flip side , the lesser blade feel also makes it harder to assess its optimum angle, and even more importantly easier to use improper amount of pressure. Indeed i came away from the shave with a bit of irritation on the ND side (both head and beard), none on the NI side.

If the ND were a daily driver I imagine one gets to automatic in terms of pressure, but im not convinced the ND would beat the NI in terns of efficiency under the best of conditions.

Both fine razors, my preference is clearly for the New Improved.View attachment 974022

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Here is my take in NI vs ND at least on this day. Fresh BIC blade in both, one day growth both beard and head.

First these are for me the two best handling Gillettes hands down, both perfectly balanced, handle length and grip spot on.

The New Improved has immediately more blade feel. Some may not like that but for me it makes it easier to find optimum angle and pressure. Both beard and head shave very close and adequately efficient.

The New Deluxe is much easier to zip around my head, it is considerably less bladey. On the flip side , the lesser blade feel also makes it harder to assess its optimum angle, and even more importantly easier to use improper amount of pressure. Indeed i came away from the shave with a bit of irritation on the ND side (both head and beard), none on the NI side.

If the ND were a daily driver I imagine one gets to automatic in terms of pressure, but im not convinced the ND would beat the NI in terns of efficiency under the best of conditions.

Both fine razors, my preference is clearly for the New Improved.View attachment 974022

The New Standard would blow your mind. Much too aggressive for your skill set.....LOL:a29:

The New Standard would blow your mind. Much too aggressive for your skill set.....LOL:a29:
What are you taking about?? The New Standard is a set not a razor and is in fact what I used here. I'm too old to "LOL" you but it does seem appropriate in this instance.

proxy.php

Last edited:
What are you taking about?? The New Standard is a set not a razor and is in fact what I used here.

proxy.php

Thank you for answering a question I had been seeking for a month. What I have is the same as the others being posted. Only the containers have been changed to protect the innocent.

The New Improved is the razor head design, either no. 106 or no. 126.

Bostonian, New Standard, Chesterfield, Big Fellow, Milady, Deluxe, Tuckaway, Aristocrat, Richwood, Algonquin, and Cavalier are all the manner it which it is packaged or presented, either handle, finish, size, or set.

The New Improved is the razor head design, either no. 106 or no. 126.

Bostonian, New Standard, Chesterfield, Big Fellow, Milady, Deluxe, Tuckaway, Aristocrat, Richwood, Algonquin, and Cavalier are all the manner it which it is packaged or presented, either handle, finish, size, or set.

Thank you. When you've been told it this and not that, it is nice to have an answer. For me, the New Standard shave like the RFB.

Thank you. When you've been told it this and not that, it is nice to have an answer. For me, the New Standard shave like the RFB.
Category:Gillette New Improved Razors

"Gillette announced the New Improved razor privately in the 5 May 1921 issue of The National Association of Retail Druggists Journal and other trade publications."
"The private announcement detailed the sets that would be available, including the Richwood, Bostonian, New Standard, Big Fellow, Aristocrat, Milady Decolletee, Tuckaway, Chesterfield, Chippendale, Traveler, and De Luxe."

Further, from what has been shared, the 126 was only made one year, 1929.

Category:Gillette New Improved Razors

"Gillette announced the New Improved razor privately in the 5 May 1921 issue of The National Association of Retail Druggists Journal and other trade publications."
"The private announcement detailed the sets that would be available, including the Richwood, Bostonian, New Standard, Big Fellow, Aristocrat, Milady Decolletee, Tuckaway, Chesterfield, Chippendale, Traveler, and De Luxe."

Further, from what has been shared, the 126 was only made one year, 1929.
So, essentially, using the New Standard would provide the same experience as the first generation Aristocrat?

There seems to have been an Aristocrat model with each razor. The 1934-36 Aristocrat simply became synonymous with “Aristocrat”. The Safety Bar Aristocrat line continued the visually unique nature of the Aristocrat line. This is my simplified and most basic understanding.

There seems to have been an Aristocrat model with each razor. The 1934-36 Aristocrat simply became synonymous with “Aristocrat”. The Safety Bar Aristocrat line continued the visually unique nature of the Aristocrat line. This is my simplified and most basic understanding.
I remember a recent thread of four generations of the British Aristocrats.

Top Bottom