What's new

Gillette New Bostonian/South America Goodwill

Happy New Year everyone! Wishing you all the best for this 2020. I hope you all finally get your most desire razors ;)
Today's post is about a vintage Gillette that I got yesterday. I'm not gonna lie, I bought this razor thinking it was a New Bostonian, but then
I found out it's even rarer:

To start with, that "43" logo on the brought my attention, since the actual New Bostonian case doesn't have it.

20200101_164306.jpg
20200101_164632.jpg

The case and the razor are both in great condition.

20200101_164714.jpg

20200101_164806.jpg
20200101_164900.jpg

20200101_164935.jpg

There are two patent numbers on it: 25.457 "Y" (Spanish for "and") 34.652.
I'm from Argentina and some of the vintage Gillette razors (MADE IN USA) that I own have something written in Spanish, like a instruction manual or a case. For example, I have a Slim Adjustable in excellent condition that comes with a "Fatboy" case and the instruction manual written in Spanish:

20191204_110320.jpg
20191204_110400.jpg

I want to know if there is certain info on the "South American Goodwill" and what does the "43" logo mean?
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 1577909973204.jpeg
    1577909973204.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 8
You have an Argentinian made Gillette Goodwill.

I don't know how rare these razors are to purchase in South America but through the usual online sites including mercadolibre that razor almost never comes up for sale. Congratulations on your find.

R

romsitsa

There is not much info on these razors. It’s not identical to the Brasilian version and there was no factory till 1942 in Argentina, so my guess is it was produced by the US Autostrop company for Argentina.
Some models come with “Industria Argentina” marking, these could/should be domestically produced. Seemingly the South American factories skipped the long slot design and only produced combed Goodwill, safety bar Goodwill and then Tech heads.
Imho the New Bostonian was introduced around 1934, and the short comb was only made by Autostrop factories.
Argentinian patents are not accessable online, at least I couldn’t find a source, if you can look up them, the paten owner (Gillette or Autostrop) could give further clues.

Adam

There is not much info on these razors. It’s not identical to the Brasilian version and there was no factory till 1942 in Argentina, so my guess is it was produced by the US Autostrop company for Argentina.
Some models come with “Industria Argentina” marking, these could/should be domestically produced. Seemingly the South American factories skipped the long slot design and only produced combed Goodwill, safety bar Goodwill and then Tech heads.
Imho the New Bostonian was introduced around 1934, and the short comb was only made by Autostrop factories.
Argentinian patents are not accessable online, at least I couldn’t find a source, if you can look up them, the paten owner (Gillette or Autostrop) could give further clues.

Adam

Thanks for the information!! Much more than I had. :a14: :a14:

Happy New Year everyone! Wishing you all the best for this 2020. I hope you all finally get your most desire razors ;)
Today's post is about a vintage Gillette that I got yesterday. I'm not gonna lie, I bought this razor thinking it was a New Bostonian, but then
I found out it's even rarer:

To start with, that "43" logo on the brought my attention, since the actual New Bostonian case doesn't have it.

View attachment 1048736View attachment 1048738

The case and the razor are both in great condition.

View attachment 1048742
View attachment 1048744View attachment 1048745
View attachment 1048747

There are two patent numbers on it: 25.457 "Y" (Spanish for "and") 34.652.
I'm from Argentina and some of the vintage Gillette razors (MADE IN USA) that I own have something written in Spanish, like a instruction manual or a case. For example, I have a Slim Adjustable in excellent condition that comes with a "Fatboy" case and the instruction manual written in Spanish:

View attachment 1048750View attachment 1048748

I want to know if there is certain info on the "South American Goodwill" and what does the "43" logo mean?
Thank you in advance!

Hi

Was cruising on the Bay and found this Argentinian razor for sale and it also has the 43 on the case . The Argentine seller says that the 43 is advertising for a cigarette brand . Put in Argentine razors in the Bay search bar and have a look

43.jpg

Glenn

R

romsitsa

Now that you mention the cigarettes, Carribean newspapers had an ad during roughly the same period, for Strollers cigs. A given number of empty packs were exchanged for Gillette blades and razors.

Adam

Hi

Was cruising on the Bay and found this Argentinian razor for sale and it also has the 43 on the case . The Argentine seller says that the 43 is advertising for a cigarette brand . Put in Argentine razors in the Bay search bar and have a look

View attachment 1053699

Glenn

Hey Glenn, I just got that same razor you saw on eBay. Not from that seller but it is the same razor and it has the same "43" logo.
Visit my last thread in here, I posted some pictures so someone could actually give me some info.
Thanks for your reply!

Top Bottom