What's new

Gillette NEW Bar Handle.

Examples can look like this:

proxy.php

Or this (if the brass/copper isn't constantly polished or plated):

proxy.php

Or possibly this:

proxy.php

Great razors, one of the best 3 piece Open Combs.

That handle will look much better with the discoloured lacquer removed. Steep it in Oven Cleaner and brush the cleaner into the engine turning (use rubber gloves of course) once or twice every hour for around four hours, then rinse off, the gold will be more vibrant.

Here is a razor I picked up today for $6.87 at the local antique store. Had to make a few store walkins before I found one. I beleive its a Gillette NEW Bar Handle correct me if I wrong. Cant wait to clean it and pop a razor in it and shave. I think I have a full bore RAD now :biggrin1:. I will take after pics in a while and let you guys know how it shaves when I farm some more beard for it.

proxy.php

On the 'New' and Old Types, Gillette applied the Gold directly onto the brass or copper coating of the cap top, then applied a layer of clear lacquer to help with durability. More 'modern' razors like the Aristocrats and later adjustables that were gold plated had the gold applied over a layer of nickel for more durability, the clear lacquer was therefore unnecessary too.

I don't believe that the New was available in Bright Nickel, but then again neither was it available with Rose Gold Baseplate :)

I have to say although not original, I really like that nickel replate.

I've got a Franken-New in the mail: Nickel top cap, gold/brass bottom plate and solid ball end handle. The bottom plate looks absolutely hideous, covered in corrosion and vintage soap scum. I'll clean up the bottom plate as best as possible, then nickel it, so from a distance it doesn't look so Frankenrazor-ish.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Great score! Use a bit of mild polish on it and it will look really sharp. I just polished up one yesterday that had the plating worn off the top cap..the copper gives it a pretty cool look.
proxy.php
The top cap is made of brass also, not copper.

Great score! Use a bit of mild polish on it and it will look really sharp. I just polished up one yesterday that had the plating worn off the top cap..the copper gives it a pretty cool look.
proxy.php
I have to ask.
Did you try to straighten a bent tooth?
It looks broken.
gwl11.jpg

Top Bottom