What's new

Gillette Nacets - MISTAKE!

Well, I purchased 100 Gillette Nacets because I tried them in my Rockwell 6C (got them from The Great Blade Exchange) and they were lovely! A few days later my face broke out into a rash and I realized something ... I probably have an allergy to stainless steel. The same thing happened when I used The Winning Razor (only SS razor I've tried) and when I tried Shark Super Stainless blades. On the other hand, I've now tried Personna Reds (also from The Great Blade Exchange) and LOVE them! Off to the Amazon...

Has anyone else had this same experience with Stainless Steel? Just curious as to how common this could be...Now, what's a guy to do with 100 Nacets? I can't win for losing!

If you bought them through Amazon you might be able to return them. Otherwise I’d try trading or selling them on the BST or making a generous donation to the Great Blade Exchange (or pif).

It must be something else, since most modern blades are made of stainless steel, including the Personna Reds.
Would the coating on them block the SS? I have used a lot of blades that are coated with no issues and bin them all after 3 uses. I've tried to go longer and have the issue again. I've just assumed that the coating has worn off and the SS was coming in contact with my skin.

I suspect it could be the nickel in the SS and not the SS in and of itself. I've heard there are quite a few people with nickel allergies. Without having a complete test done by a dermatologist I may never know. I'll continue using blades with a coating and staying away from SS razors (with isn't ideal as most very nice razors are SS) to see if it works for me.

If you bought them through Amazon you might be able to return them. Otherwise I’d try trading or selling them on the BST or making a generous donation to the Great Blade Exchange (or pif).
Unfortunately not the case as I followed another B&B member's recommendation and purchased them on the bay from Jordan.

It may be possible that you have a an allergy to stainless steel. Stainless steel is largely iron plus chromium, but it can also include other metals like nickel. Some people do have allergies to chromium and/or nickel. If you were allergic to chromium, your chrome plated razor might be an issue.

Remember that even platinum (or iridium, or tungsten, or titanium) coated blades are still stainless steel. They just have a very thin coating of the harder metal.

It is likely that you have been exposed to stainless steel needles to draw blood in the doctor's office. Stainless steel tools are used by your dentist. Stainless steel scalpels and clamps are used during surgery. Admittedly, these tools might be made from a slightly different grade of stainless steel than razor blade steel, but they are likely to contain both chromium and nickel.

Is there anything else that changed during your shave? Shave preparation, your shave soap or cream, and your shave technique can all have an effect on potential irritation.

Shark Super Stainless blades are not particularly smooth. Your rash might have been due to a rough edge on the blade, too much shave pressure, or a poor quality lather.

Nacet blades are one of the sharpest blades, but could be smoother. If you are used to shaving with blades that are not quite that sharp, you might get irritation if your shave angle, pressure, or lather are not ideal. Many folks with tough beards love Nacets.

The Personna Israeli Reds are stainless steel blades coated with platinum chrome. They are pretty sharp, but not quite as sharp as Nacets. They are also smooth, so that it a good combination. Remember that Personna no longer makes the Platinum Chrome plated blades in Israel. The plant was closed a couple of years ago. Whatever blades are left in the red packaging are being sold at inflated prices due to scarcity. The Platinum Chrome blades are now being made in Germany at the same facility that makes Wilkinson Sword Classic blades. Although I have not seen a confirmation that they are identical to the Israeli blades, nearly everyone who has tried them believe they are indistinguishable in performance. I suspect that some of the equipment from the plant in Israel was relocated to Germany. Personally, I cannot detect a difference in performance, but the German-made blades are a lot less expensive.

If you purchase Personna blades, make sure you do not get the comfort-coated blades produced in the USA. While many people love these blades, they are not platinum coated. They have a thick polymer coating that makes them quite smooth on the first shave, but after the polymer wears off, there is stainless steel beneath. Make sure you get Platinum Chrome blades.

The obvious question: did you change anything else? soap, perhaps?
I'm going to ask how was the consistency of your lather?
I've had minor reactions to oils within the soap, but the slight burning and tingling lets me know in advance to pick up the pace :c1: It's been in my experience, a reaction which doesn't take very long to develop (minutes); certainly not after a day or series of days. Are you using a soap containing lanolin by chance?

Getting back to the lather, a lather with less water will create a tacky or even dryer glide which could generate razor burn.

Last edited:
It may be possible that you have a an allergy to stainless steel. Stainless steel is largely iron plus chromium, but it can also include other metals like nickel. Some people do have allergies to chromium and/or nickel. If you were allergic to chromium, your chrome plated razor might be an issue.

Remember that even platinum (or iridium, or tungsten, or titanium) coated blades are still stainless steel. They just have a very thin coating of the harder metal.

It is likely that you have been exposed to stainless steel needles to draw blood in the doctor's office. Stainless steel tools are used by your dentist. Stainless steel scalpels and clamps are used during surgery. Admittedly, these tools might be made from a slightly different grade of stainless steel than razor blade steel, but they are likely to contain both chromium and nickel.

Is there anything else that changed during your shave? Shave preparation, your shave soap or cream, and your shave technique can all have an effect on potential irritation.

Shark Super Stainless blades are not particularly smooth. Your rash might have been due to a rough edge on the blade, too much shave pressure, or a poor quality lather.

Nacet blades are one of the sharpest blades, but could be smoother. If you are used to shaving with blades that are not quite that sharp, you might get irritation if your shave angle, pressure, or lather are not ideal. Many folks with tough beards love Nacets.

The Personna Israeli Reds are stainless steel blades coated with platinum chrome. They are pretty sharp, but not quite as sharp as Nacets. They are also smooth, so that it a good combination. Remember that Personna no longer makes the Platinum Chrome plated blades in Israel. The plant was closed a couple of years ago. Whatever blades are left in the red packaging are being sold at inflated prices due to scarcity. The Platinum Chrome blades are now being made in Germany at the same facility that makes Wilkinson Sword Classic blades. Although I have not seen a confirmation that they are identical to the Israeli blades, nearly everyone who has tried them believe they are indistinguishable in performance. I suspect that some of the equipment from the plant in Israel was relocated to Germany. Personally, I cannot detect a difference in performance, but the German-made blades are a lot less expensive.

If you purchase Personna blades, make sure you do not get the comfort-coated blades produced in the USA. While many people love these blades, they are not platinum coated. They have a thick polymer coating that makes them quite smooth on the first shave, but after the polymer wears off, there is stainless steel beneath. Make sure you get Platinum Chrome blades.
A lot of great information here which leads me to continue scratching my head as to what the irritation issue could be. I've had no issues with needles or other tools at the doctors or dentist office. Maybe my lathering and shaving technique has improved or maybe it's just that my technique isn't a good combination with the Shark Super Stainless and Gillette Nacets and I'm much better suited to Astra SP, Voshkod and Personna Reds? Who knows! I did hear that the production facility in Israel had closed and production was now taking place in Germany. Unfortunately I do not know which production line the current blades I have were manufactured on.

I'm going to ask how was the consistency of your lather?
I've had minor reactions to oils within the soap, but the slight burning and tingling lets me know in advance to pick up the pace :c1: It's been in my experience, a reaction which doesn't take very long to develop (minutes); certainly not after a day or series of days. Are you using a soap containing lanolin by chance?

Getting back to the lather, a lather with less water will create a tacky or even dryer glide which could generate razor burn.
My lather is on the well hydrated and slick side, not falling off the brush, but close! I only use PAA scentless soap (ingredients listed below). In my quest for trying to figure out what is going on I have kept my preshave routine and my post shave routine unchanged.

Potassium Stearate, Glycerin, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Potassium Kokumate, Sodium Lactate, Potassium Shea Butterate, Potassium Castorate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Cocoa Butterate, Potassium Avocadoate

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I just had a breakout on the left side of my face near the bottom of my ear, but still on my cheek. Mysterious...I let it sit for several days and didn't shave, popped a couple of small whiteheads. It all dried out and I'm back in the saddle. Let it all heal up, comrade. Just let it go away and then...give it another shot. Best if it really clears up first though because then you can make an honest assessment as to whether or not it was the metal in the blade. Try to do a bare shave...not much else except a simple soap and the steel...no extras. Hoping you come back and win. God Bless.

I just had a breakout on the left side of my face near the bottom of my ear, but still on my cheek. Mysterious...I let it sit for several days and didn't shave, popped a couple of small whiteheads. It all dried out and I'm back in the saddle. Let it all heal up, comrade. Just let it go away and then...give it another shot. Best if it really clears up first though because then you can make an honest assessment as to whether or not it was the metal in the blade. Try to do a bare shave...not much else except a simple soap and the steel...no extras. Hoping you come back and win. God Bless.
Sounds similar to my issue. Small pimple and itchy.

My lather is on the well hydrated and slick side, not falling off the brush, but close! I only use PAA scentless soap (ingredients listed below). In my quest for trying to figure out what is going on I have kept my preshave routine and my post shave routine unchanged.

Potassium Stearate, Glycerin, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Potassium Kokumate, Sodium Lactate, Potassium Shea Butterate, Potassium Castorate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Cocoa Butterate, Potassium Avocadoate
I started off with a few samples a while back, but I really like Scentsless CK6.
I like the suggestion to step away for a few days and let things balance out.

Personna Platinum and (now) Med Preps are up in my top blade echelon for comfortability.
Not sure if the Med Preps are coated; e.g. PTFE

In all honesty, I too have had a small breakout; but a weekend of burgers and pizza are my culprits
Best of luck to you

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

When final pickups are done on my shave I always do a warm rinse followed by a cold water rinse to remove as much soap residual from my face(all shave soaps have a higher Alkaline PH level than your skin.) If I see any red spots like pimples I think they could be ingrown hairs and take a worn tooth brush and gentle brush the concerned area. Then I use a splash of Witch hazel over the clean beard area to to clean any micro abrasions.
I started doing this after getting a few ingrown hairs a few years ago and have not had a problem since with ingrown hairs .
If you buy Thayer's medicated witch hazel one of the best IMO it has clove mixed in with it and from my observations pimples seem to disappear quickly(just apply a little on finger to the affected area is all that is needed), if I use regular witch hazel with 16% alcohol it seems not as affective as the Thayers medicated WH IMO.
Hope it clears up for you.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I changed nothing at all except the razor (from The Winning Razor which is SS to the Rockwell 6C) and then blades. My pre/post and soap all stayed the same.
but you did change razors... try going back to your old razor and see if the problem persists..... just a suggestion.

Top Bottom