What's new

gillette nacet v gillette rubie

If the Rubies are indeed similar to the Astra SP, then they are a big no, no for me. The Astra SP isn't that bad, but for me they are right in the middle between good and bad blades. I can get a good shave with them, but they are not as enjoyable as Nacet for instance and i've noticed that they don't last very long as well and the 3rd shave is either painful or impossible.

I could be wrong, but I think the Gillette Rubies are the most expensive Russian blade on the market and even if they are slightly better than Nacet, getting 100 Rubies for the price of 200 Nacets isn't worth it imho, but ymmv, as always.

Reactions: saj
I would rate (out of 5):

Nacet: sharpness 5 - smoothness 3,5
Rubie: sharpness 3,5 - smoothness 4

I do prefer the Nacets for my stubble but the Rubie is also a fine blade.

If the Rubies are indeed similar to the Astra SP, then they are a big no, no for me. The Astra SP isn't that bad, but for me they are right in the middle between good and bad blades. I can get a good shave with them, but they are not as enjoyable as Nacet for instance and i've noticed that they don't last very long as well and the 3rd shave is either painful or impossible.

I could be wrong, but I think the Gillette Rubies are the most expensive Russian blade on the market and even if they are slightly better than Nacet, getting 100 Rubies for the price of 200 Nacets isn't worth it imho, but ymmv, as always.
yea thats why i opted to get two hundred nacets because i couldnt justify the price difference with the rubies tbh

Both belong to my top 5 razor blades .I use both frequently.

Nacets are very sharp and smooth from the first shave .
During the next shaves ,their sharpness declines in a steady
manner ,while they remain very
smooth.

Rubies are not so sharp and smooth at the first couple of shaves.But they do become
sharper and smoother with use.

Both have good longevity,
with Nacets winning at that part.

Rubies are actually a tad sharper than Nacets,but also
a tad less smooth/gentle.

Rubies have a lot in common
with Bic Chrome Platinum and
Feather HI-stainless,
while Nacets are more related
to blades like Treet Platinum,
7o clock SharpEdge,Perma Sharp ,Gillette Platinum,7o clock Super Platinums ( the blacks ,made in India ones ).

im waiting for a sampler pack of all the blades out there and i cant wait to try out the bic chrome platinum first tbh

im waiting for a sampler pack of all the blades out there and i cant wait to try out the bic chrome platinum first tbh

Bic CP's are great blades and very similar to Nacets, but they feel a bit sharper on it's first use so keep that in mind especially if you're going to use them on more efficient or agressive razor.

Bic CP's are great blades and very similar to Nacets, but they feel a bit sharper on it's first use so keep that in mind especially if you're going to use them on more efficient or agressive razor.
you tried the other red packet bic? astros i think its called

I used one and still have the remaining blades. For me, they were a failure as they just are not close to being sharp enough for my beard. They do get sharper after the first shave, but they were painful to use on the first shave.

I had a similar experience with the Rubies, they are the only russian made Gillette blades that i don't like. The Nacets, while not my favorite blades, work fine in every razor i used them in, compared to other blades that varied quite a bit in their performance, depending on which razor i used them in.

I've tried them as well, but I don't like them. They are less sharp and also not smooth. The funny thing is that I rate the yellow Bic as one of the best blades that i've tried and at the same time I rate the red Bic as one of the worst even though both blades are made by the same company. There are some people who like both blades and some even claim, that they don't find any difference at all, which made me revisit the Astors a month ago and although I was able to get a close shave, the shave itself wasn't comfortable and i've got some irritation on my neck, which was almost the same experience as the last time i've used them. I would be very surprised if someone likes the Astor more than the yellow Bics.

It all depends upon what you want in a blade. I have a very coarse beard and very sensitive skin. Thus, I like my blades to be both very sharp and very smooth. The Nacets are very sharp, but I wish they were a little smoother. The Nacets are among my favorite blades. I have a 100 pack.

I purchased a tuck of Rubies to test them. I used one and still have the remaining blades. For me, they were a failure as they just are not close to being sharp enough for my beard. They do get sharper after the first shave, but they were painful to use on the first shave. I guess I could cork the blades to simulate the first use, but why go to that trouble when I can buy blades that work well from the start.

I put the Rubie blades in the same category with Astra Super Platinum. They work well for some folks, but they are not sharp enough for me. The ASP blades are less expensive and more easily found, so if I had to chose between ASP and Rubie, I would pick ASP, but between ASP and Nacets, it is Nacets by a mile.
I know this is old thread but I have course hair and sensitive skin also. So I'm looking for blades that you yourself prefer smooth/sharp. You said that you like Nacets but wish they where smoother. Do you have a blade in mind that you consider the best balance between sharp/smooth or even better than Nacets?

I know this is old thread but I have course hair and sensitive skin also. So I'm looking for blades that you yourself prefer smooth/sharp. You said that you like Nacets but wish they where smoother. Do you have a blade in mind that you consider the best balance between sharp/smooth or even better than Nacets?

The blades that work best for me in my razors (YMMV) are:

BIC Chrome Platinum
Nacet (could be a little smoother, but still nice)
Personna Platinum (Israeli Reds now made in Germany)
DORCO Prime Platinum STP301 (be sure you get Prime blades rather than the regular ST300 and ST301 blades.
SuperMax Blue Diamond
7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black)
Astra Superior Stainless(Blues), not the Superior Platinum (greens)

Well, it has been said, sort of, in my experience at least, Rubie.

Just noticing current U.S. pricing on Amazon (per-hundred). Nacet is $14, while Rubie is $20. The difference being only $6.

I like the Nacet and they appear sharper and they are smooth.

I do think the Rubie may be a touch less sharp, but a little bit smoother yet.

Once you have a blade that is sharp enough for your facial hair, then sharpness becomes less of a concern. Overall I judge a blade on how smooth it shaves, everything else being equal.

The St. Petersburg Perma-Sharp's are about the same to me as the Nacet. Both are very sharp and both provide me with a smooth shave. The Perma-Sharp's run $9.50 on Amazon. This puts them on top of the value list for those who require a sharp blade and one that is also smooth.

At $11, the BIC Chrome Platinum may be even sharper and it is super smooth at the same time.

This shows that you can get both of these attributes in the $10 price range.

Reaching out and paying the upcharge for the super smooth blades is more of a luxury than a necessity for most shavers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom