What's new

Gillette Nacet blades, are they really that good?

Well I just completed shave number three with the Gillette Nacet blade. This is the first Nacet blade I have ever used, I am a regular user of Feather ( my favorite), Voskhod, Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blues, Personna Med preps and regular reds, and various vintage blades. I like sharp and smooth blades and the ones mentioned as being regular use blades for me are all very good blades. Each one shaves a bit different in the ten razors that I use regularly, all do well and give two pass BBS shaves.

I have the lucky quirk of being able to use any blade and get a passable shave. I really could shave with Dorco, Derby, or any of the other blades that many here do not like. My point is that when I chose a blade to use regularly I look for certain characteristics. One is sharpness, the blade must be sharp and cut effortlessly in all my favorite razors. Second is the smoothness of the shave, does the blade glide and skate across the face in a consistent manner. Third is the longevity of the edge and how many good shaves can I get from the blade. Last is cost per blade and ease of purchase, I like KAI blades but they cost more than I prefer to pay and are harder to get than I am willing to endure.

So when I kept hearing of the Nacet blade and how many people like and use them and how nearly all report good longevity, low cost, ease of purchase, well I just had to give them a try and see for myself. The Voskhod was the last blade that I added to my regular rotation and I like them and will continue to use them, but in all honesty the Astra SP performs almost exactly the same for me as the Voskhod. So I wasn't expecting the Nacet to be an awesome blade but just another blade along the lines of the Astra or Voskhod.

My my first shave was an eye opener, the Nacet felt much sharper than the Astra or Voskhod. And better yet, it was a smoother feeling blade as well. The Nacet was loaded in my Pre war Tech with fat handle. And after the first pass while rinsing and checking for areas that needed attention on the second pass I discovered that the blade had left my face considerably cleaner shaved than Astra or Voskhod blades do in one pass. In fact the face felt very similar to how the Feather blade leaves the beard after the first pass. So I was pleased and dis the second pass and rinsed again looking for areas that need a little touchup swipe. I found none on the first shave.

i have shaved two more times since and have only had to touchup once, likely more due to me than the blade. There has been no change in the blade sharpness or smoothness in the three shaves and I am impressed. Now I must say that I am a member of Excalibur club and thus normally get pretty high shave per blade numbers so this blade will have to go al least into the 20-25 shave per blade range to earn a spot in the regular rotation. But if it gets close I may add it anyway due to its other qualities.

If you haven't tried one of Nacet blades I would like to invite you to give them a try, they perform much better than I was expecting. As always, YMMV!:001_cool:

Nacets perform very well in my Wolfman razor. Definitely in the top 5 contenders as I try to dial in the top 2-3. Keep you posted! :thumbup:

Good to see the Nacet love still being tossed around! I've been on a Silver Blue kick as of late, but should get back to Nacet's soon! :thumbup1:

I get a weeks worth of shaves from a blade. For me, they are the closest currently made blades in terms of performance and longevity to the best vintage blades.

I think they are indeed that good. Comparable in performance (for me) as a GSB, and they last twice as long. That's pretty perfect, in my book.

Can anyone compare them to Polsilver SI and Perma-Sharp Super blades, which are my current favorites in terms of sharpness and smoothness.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've had only a handful of shaves with a Nacet, but I'm sold on them. They are not my absolute favorite, but they are great blades.

There's just the tiniest little wax spot in the center, and even then I think it's just some kind of grease as it doesn't really seem to stick.
Not even noticeable.

Can anyone compare them to Polsilver SI and Perma-Sharp Super blades, which are my current favorites in terms of sharpness and smoothness.

I like them as much as I do PolSilver SI blades at this point. I'm still using the first one though I just completed shave 8 with it and it's still working perfectly. If it makes it to twenty shaves I'm going to call it as good as the PolSilver, if it makes 30 it will be above them.

Nacet, Rubie, Perma-Sharp, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Platinum, Gillette Super Platinum, all top notch blades for me, in all razors. Couldn't differentiate between them in a blind shave test. Close to performance of best quality vintage blades but not as long lasting. I buy any of them, without preference, when I can find a great price. Get a slip of Nacet, 20 shaves should tell if they are right for you.

Recently won an eBay auction where I picked up a hundred based on a bunch of feedback from this site. Already they've made it to the head of the pack for me. Other blades I typically use include Astras, feathers, 7 o'clock greens, and personas. Really love these Nacets though. Glad I tried them.

Just finished shave # 9 and it was just as smooth and close as the first 8! I am duly impressed thus far, the Pre War fat handle Tech helps the blade longevity I am sure. I may move the blade too my favorite NEW for tomorrow's shave and see how it does in an open comb razor.

Steve,

it it really can cut an Alligator in half I believe!:lol:

Judging by the responses on here, it seems others have come to the same conclusions as I have about Nacet. Similar to Feather and Lab, slightly better than Astra SP. Nacet is easily in my top four performing blades. Considering the price difference between Feather and Nacet, I consider it a no-brainer to go for Nacet. It will be my next 100-blade purchase. In the long run, however, I still consider Astra SP a better value: nearly as well performing, but respectably cheaper.

Top Bottom