What's new

Gillette Model 100/102?

Hi I was wondering if someone could help.

Over the past couple of weeks I have been helping my father “dispose” of a few of his old Gillette safety razors.
We both got into serious shaving about 5 years ago. I took to straight razors with ease so I had very little interest in safety razors and although I sharpened a few for my father he really never took to them in the same way that I did. He started to amass a number of safety razors. I had accumulated more straight razors than I had the time hone so my interest in acquiring more dwindled somewhat.

A couple of weeks ago he asked me if I could sell a few pieces on his behalf over eBay to help buy my mother’s wedding anniversary present.
What I did learn quickly was the fact that some of the razors were not the exact models he thought they were. So I took it upon myself to try and find out exactly what he has got. I have really enjoyed testing the razors and researching them. I have spent many hours restoring old straight razors for myself and I had not really given safety razors much though as I not really owned one that I really liked. To be honest I though safety razors were a poor cousin to straights… I was so very wrong!

A shave with an open comb TTS British Aristocrat really redefined what I thought about these old Gillette razors. I really fell in love with that damn thing!!!! My father said that I could keep it for myself but I felt too guilty and it went on eBay. Now I am filled only with regret :crying:

This little “project” has really reignited my interest in all things shaving but in absolute terms I am not all that knowledgeable and I have a razor that I am struggling to date and identify.

So here comes the question. I have what I initially thought may be Gold Plated model 100 US made Gillette as there was no serial number at all. Initially from by looking at the date codes I thought the razor may have been from 1903 (due to the lack of a serial number or date code.) But the single ring handle was not introduced until June 1906? So would this razor be a model 102? And if so why would it not have a serial number or a date code? The razor has no markings other than the Gillette Diamond and “MADE IN THE USA” stamped on the back of the razor’s head.

Can anybody help?

$DSCF0574.jpg$DSCF0575.jpg

Yup, Harvey's right on here. The set you've got there is from the '20s after the original patents expired in November of 1921. After that point the diamond logo and "Made in..." stamp would have been the only markings on the Old Types. If it actually were from before the serial numbering started it would have at least had a "Patent applied for" inscription on the handle, and the diamond logo wouldn't have been there (it wasn't developed until 1908) nor would it have the "Made in..." stamp.

Yup, Harvey's right on here. The set you've got there is from the '20s after the original patents expired in November of 1921. After that point the diamond logo and "Made in..." stamp would have been the only markings on the Old Types. If it actually were from before the serial numbering started it would have at least had a "Patent applied for" inscription on the handle, and the diamond logo wouldn't have been there (it wasn't developed until 1908) nor would it have the "Made in..." stamp.
Porter, woulndt that make it a 102-a...thicker cap?

1922863913A-336676B102A/106Old Style still seen with no serial #

Last edited:
Porter, woulndt that make it a 102-a...thicker cap?

Yes. To the best of my knowledge, all of the post-patent Old Types had the 102A head with the thicker cap.

Incidentally, I assume that the number designations (100, 102, 102A, etc.) that get thrown around were some internal Gillette scheme that someone at some point had some documentation for, as I've not seen anything first-hand. If anyone has any info on their origin I'd be very interested in it.

Yes. To the best of my knowledge, all of the post-patent Old Types had the 102A head with the thicker cap.

Incidentally, I assume that the number designations (100, 102, 102A, etc.) that get thrown around were some internal Gillette scheme that someone at some point had some documentation for, as I've not seen anything first-hand. If anyone has any info on their origin I'd be very interested in it.
That is a very good and intriguing question...im on it.

Top Bottom