What's new

Gillette Minora, your thoughts?

The Minora Stainless Steel is a disappointing blade for the price point. To me they are at the low end of medium sharpness and can vary in performance from blade to blade. For the first three blades I found stubble in several places. The fourth blade (which seemed much sharper) produced a BBS on the first use but some stubble and mild irritation on the second use. In my opinion, this is a lower tier blade in the Gillette DE blade offerings. C’est feh. YMMV.

The Minora Stainless Steel is a disappointing blade for the price point. To me they are at the low end of medium sharpness and can vary in performance from blade to blade. For the first three blades I found stubble in several places. The fourth blade (which seemed much sharper) produced a BBS on the first use but some stubble and mild irritation on the second use. In my opinion, this is a lower tier blade in the Gillette DE blade offerings. C’est feh. YMMV.
I bought 600 Minora Stainless as they were super cheap (maybe $8-9/100) and I regret the purchase. They are ok blades, but not even close to being my favourite. They can be a bit rough on heavy growth I find.

I only use blades twice so they are ok for me, but I doubt the Minora SS would be a good blade for shavers trying to get 5+ shaves out of one. And I avoid them when I have more than 48hrs growth.

I bought 600 Minora Stainless as they were super cheap (maybe $8-9/100) and I regret the purchase. They are ok blades, but not even close to being my favourite. They can be a bit rough on heavy growth I find.

I only use blades twice so they are ok for me, but I doubt the Minora SS would be a good blade for shavers trying to get 5+ shaves out of one. And I avoid them when I have more than 48hrs growth.
The only razor they were smooth in for me is the Tech and I get six or seven two pass shaves. I did notice they were more likely to rust then other PPI blades

I bought 100 at a good price, but I probably have only used 4 or 5. I just don't think they are that good.

I think they are very good blades. My favorite DE blades are the Gillette 7 O'Clock Black's from India. But in little more than a year, their price had doubled to $35/hundred.

I find that the Minora delivers a really smooth shave, like the Black's do for a good bit less money. I think I paid $22/100 for mine. They seem to be a bit more difficult to source now.

lasta

Blade Biter
Minora's are OK. For my mug, they are very sharp and above average smooth, similar range as the 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge and 7 O'Clock Black.

But they are not quite top tier. GSB, Perma Sharp, and Rubies stand out from the Gillette roster.

Good blade, smooth and efficient. Only problem is that tea stains develop from the stainless version. Doesn't effect the shave, but makes keeping the razor clean a bit of a pain.

I wrote this on another thread. I stand by my comments. For me, they are fantastic blades.

I tried these blades recently. I absolutely love them. First, I used in a RazoRock Gamechanger .84 with Wholly Kaw Fougère Bouquet (tallow) soap. The brush I used is a Simpson Trafalgar T3 Synthetic. The blade for me was incredibly smooth and sharp. Not Feather sharp (nor Nacet sharp) but sharp enough to go through those whiskers with ease. Now, I have what one might consider a medium beard (I do not have course hair). My second time shaving with the blade (a fresh blade from the same tuck), I used a West Coast Shaving (WCS) American Liberty CNC (stainless steel) Safety Razor (designed by the now defunct Charcoal Goods). Same soap and brush. Again, another great shave and incredibly smooth. By the way, the WCS American Liberty Razor is fantastic also. Just to be clear, I used the Minora Stainless Steel blades and not the Minora Platinum version.

Decided to give these a try and have so far used one in an Edwin Jagger DE89 and Rockwell 6S (plate 4). It had been close to a year since I’d used my trusted friend, the DE89, and with a new Minora blade I was instantly reminded about what I love about the DE89: when paired with the right blade it delivers an efficient but comfortable shave. I’m more than happy to have Minora blades in my rotation.
I’d say they were similar to Nacets.

Top Bottom