What's new

Gillette Milord

I’m wondering if someone is able to help me out. I came across a NOS Gillette Milord, however the antique dealer was asking more $ for it than I felt it worth. I’m wondering if this is a good deal for one of these and understanding that YMMV, how do these shave compared to a RFB Tech or a NEW deluxe

Last edited:
We avoid $ discussions, for the most part. You might check that auction site for prices.

Like buses, there is always another one around the corner if you can wait a bit.

The Milord is literally just a gold plated '47 or 48-50 Super speed, depending on when it was made. SS performance is in the neighborhood of a postwar Tech.

Rugger007 was also asking how it shaves. Is there a post discussing comparisons of vintage Gillettes? I find myself wanting to acquire them, but except for the red tip and adjustables, I often read that they're mild. I've settled on somewhat aggressive razors because I don't want DE shaving to take too much longer than when I used a cartridge razor, so while I'm looking for a close shave, I want to avoid taking a 3-pass path to it.

I see that folks answered while I was typing. Regarding money, you'll pay an often significant premium for NOS condition. If that's not really important to you, keep looking. Great user kinds of condition can be had.

Last edited:
Rugger007 was also asking how it shaves. Is there a post discussing comparisons of vintage Gillettes? I find myself wanting to acquire them, but except for the red tip and adjustables, I often read that they're mild. I've kind of settled on somewhat aggressive razors because I don't want DE shaving to take too much longer than when I used a cartridge razor, so while I'm looking for a close shave, I want to avoid taking a 3-pass path to it.

I see that folks answered while I was typing.

If I were you I’d stick with fat boy, slim or black beauty. They are adjustable from really aggressive to very mild. If you don’t want to mess with an adjustable razor then go with a red tip, it’s pretty aggressive and you will get a close shave with just one pass with a red tip. Again just like with anything shave related YMMV

Last edited:
If you're a collector, I'd say get it, it's getting harder and harder to find NOS razors, if not, don't. In my opinion, it's hard to beat the NEW Deluxe.

If you're a collector, I'd say get it, it's getting harder and harder to find NOS razors, if not, don't. In my opinion, it's hard to beat the NEW Deluxe.

I agree for collection purposes finding a NOS razor is neat but costly. I picked up a NOS Milord set last year and just wrote the darn check. I enjoy collecting in general but when I run across a virgin piece, I try and snap it up but sometimes the price does head far north. The Milord is nothing special shave wise, but it sure is a looker in the case and all.

R

romsitsa

Hello,

it depends what you are looking for. On a daily basis a Milord will deliver a smooth and mostly decent shave. A New De luxe will get rid of a 9 days growth in two ATG passes and some touch up. An RFB will do the same with less rinses and a bit more blade feel.

Adam

The Milord is literally just a gold plated '47 or 48-50 Super speed, depending on when it was made
Prior to 1947 it was a gold version of the 41' and 46' Ranger Tech. I have no idea what gold plated version razor it was before it was a TTO.

Thanks for the help guys. I’m definitely not a collector, so I’m going to have to pass on it. Now I wish I could find a RFB and a NEW Deluxe or that ever elusive hybrid

I’m wondering if someone is able to help me out. I came across a NOS Gillette Milord, however the antique dealer was asking more $ for it than I felt it worth. I’m wondering if this is a good deal for one of these and understanding that YMMV, how do these shave compared to a RFB Tech or a NEW deluxe
Technique trumps gear...but the razor is mid mild like most Supers.

Prior to 1947 it was a gold version of the 41' and 46' Ranger Tech. I have no idea what gold plated version razor it was before it was a TTO.

In my experience, all Gillette TTO's made from 40-47 have the same head with different handles. The the specs changed from 48-50 and so on.

milord had fancy case
1940%20Milord.jpg

Top Bottom