What's new

Gillette Milord

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have two 40's SS'es and a 40's Milord. All have the notched center bar and no date code. To the best of my (limited) knowledge, the Milord is a gold SS. It certainly looks identical. Still, I find it doesn't give me quite as nice a shave as my plain old super speeds. I'm not sure if there's a difference in geometry, or if it's just me or the specific example I own. Perhaps someone could chime in here.

There are two Milord's - pre-war is lighter & most definately not as nice. The post-war is on the face of it the same as the 40's SS - is it the same shave, not quite for me either ...., but that may be in my mind:tongue_sm the Aristocrat from that era is somehow the better razor for me.

Regards
John

yasuo200365 said:
There are two Milord's - pre-war is lighter & most definately not as nice. The post-war is on the face of it the same as the 40's SS - is it the same shave, not quite for me either ...., but that may be in my mind:tongue_sm the Aristocrat from that era is somehow the better razor for me.

Regards
John

John......How do you tell the difference between the pre-war and post-war Milord?

thanks

ouch

I think Gillette used the term "Milord" for a few razors, just as they had several razors they called "Aristocrat", including a three piece. Would the pre-war Milord be a gold Ranger? I've never seen one.

I agree with John that the Aristocrat from that era is a terrific razor. I got one from slcsteve that I'm very satisfied with. Thanks for supplying a very nice "user" at a good price. I enjoy the thicker handle without the " head-heavyness" of the fat boy.

Steve,

The Milord name was only used twice - pre & post war 1940's.

The latter is really a gold plated 40's Superspeed. The former is a gold plated Ranger Tech.

What does a ranger look like, well some will mistake it for a Superpeed at first glance, but it is lighter and has a smooth band just above the TTO knob. They also don't have the side caps on the razor head mechanism.

If you look Danny's last but one photograph ..., the two razors on the left - a gold post-war Milord and then the pre-war Ranger Tech. If were gold it would be a pre-war Milord.

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8553

Regards
John

ouch

Thanks for the info.

Coincindentally, I got my Milord from Danny. Seems that this is just one big happy gooey family here.

Thanks all for the good info..... I just got mine in the mail. I'll Let you guys know what I think of it a little latter.

My Milord looks like the Ranger Tech except it got covers on the links, unknotched center bar, has the wide polished band above the knob. No date codes must be a 47? Nice shaver.

Cooncatbob I think we have the same razor. After examineing my razor and reading John's post, I've learned my razor is a pre-war Milord. It has a smooth band just above the TTO knob with no date and with the straight bar, not notched. My razor is gold. The only difference between my razor and the Ranger Tech on Danny's photo is the bar holding the two doors. My bar is straight, like all the other razors in that photo. The bar for that Ranger Tech on that photo looks split. Darn! I was hoping mine was a gold Super Speed!

All the link bars are 2 piece, the ones that look like one piece have thin metal cover that are bonded on. Some old razor like my Aristocrat they have fallen off.

Top Bottom