What's new

Gillette is coming to save me from... Gillette?

I actually read a write up that I think it was Mantic did on his blog about the Guard. He also talked to some people living in the average conditions in India and got some insight. Turns out that they don't have easy cheap access to quality DE gear like we do, for the most part, and they stuff they generally use is actually way worse of a shave than the Guard razor will give, for comparably the same cost to them.

Sure, yes, Gillette is trying to convert a billion gents to a cartridge system, corner that third world market, and rake in the cash... as expected. Oddly enough, though, they did manage to produce a product that even most of the DE guys have said is a darn good one for a cartridge system, and it's definitely better than the vast majority of the stuff over there in it's price range.

P&G/Gillette will gladly still take wet shavers' money as well. I doubt that it's a coordinated attack on DE shavers. It just seems like the author of the article has never experienced a good DE shave. Personally, I didnt realize that anybody still made the old-fashioned razors or that the antique stuff was good for anything but display until a few months ago. And I know now thanks to the Rick Harrison ad...and my desire to do some research. Frankly, I would rather see Gillette stay out of the DE gig here in the US. Them getting back into it here would result in little more than higher prices and lower quality. It needs to be traditional shavers promoting traditional shaving...not a bazillion-dollar corporation.

From the articles I have read it looks like Guard's main design compromise is nick free shaving at the cost of a close shave. If anyone has used one please let us know your impressions. Also, it seems that Guard has about 9% of the shaver base as of 2013 or 3 years after introduction. It doesn't seem to have had much of an effect on our segment of the DE market as blades still seem to be just as available and inexpensive as they were 3 years ago. I have heard the hysteria of how it will kill the DE market but if that day comes it will be several years from now. We will likely be uninterested in shaving by then.

I've been using the old Bic single blade disposables when I travel for some time. Is the general consensus here that it's worth picking up a Guard? Is it that much better than the old Bic standby?

The first paragraph talks about men in the third world shaving without water while balancing a handheld mirror, and the second of how this Guard razor will satisfy the needs of said wet shaver in emerging markets. They are dry shavers! How bout getting them some water to go with those razors! Why not sell them the DE blades that they are using already? A billion is not a small market. Changing a culture to use a cartridge in the third world may be a challenge. But hey, what do I know?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've always wanted to try the Guard. And darned if I don't forget to add it to my order every time!

I've always wanted to try the Guard. And darned if I don't forget to add it to my order every time!

Same here, I just put in an order last night with Italian Barber and forgot completely to get a Guard and that was one of the things I wanted to do in the first place.:blink:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Same here, I just put in an order last night with Italian Barber and forgot completely to get a Guard and that was one of the things I wanted to do in the first place.:blink:
True story: I've known about the Guard for about 2 years. For 2 years I've forgotten to order. :blushing:

Dabrock, I've used one and I posted my thoughts earlier in this thread.

In summary, you are correct that it's more comfortable and safe than it is close. It's a decent shave and it's really easy to use.

Totally a different animal from a Bic sensitive.

True story: I've known about the Guard for about 2 years. For 2 years I've forgotten to order. :blushing:

So while you are thinking about it, go to WCS or where ever, drop it into your cart, save the cart, and then next time you order, it's in there already. :lol:

Dabrock, I've used one and I posted my thoughts earlier in this thread.

In summary, you are correct that it's more comfortable and safe than it is close. It's a decent shave and it's really easy to use.

Totally a different animal from a Bic sensitive.

Thanks, sorry I missed or forgot about your previous post, there are actually a couple of Guard threads going today.

Top Bottom