What's new

Gillette ID Please?

I'm very new at this and know very little about safety razors. This is a pic of my "new" razor that belonged to my dad. Can anyone give me an idea of it's age? Is it considered a "good" razor or, as I suspect, just a garden variety? Thanks.

View attachment 3354

Michael

Looks like a late 50's Superspeed. Great razor.

You can check the date code under the head of the razor. Do a search for date code here and you will find a link to a site that helps you read the code.

F1. Looks like 1stQ 1960 if I'm reading the table correctly. Does a phenomenal job, regardless of it's age. Thanks to you both!

F1. Looks like 1stQ 1960 if I'm reading the table correctly. Does a phenomenal job, regardless of it's age. Thanks to you both!

I was waiting till you said the date code but that one is right in between a very good shaver and an OK shaver. The 58' and 59' are considered better by most. They changed in 1960 but no one knows if it was early in 1960 or later in the year. The later ones are considered kind of harsh. That doesn't mean that they don't work or dont' get the job done. In fact for some it is better. The geometry of the head is different. The biggest thing you will find about razors is that there is no good and bad. What works for some doesn't work for others. That is one of the reasons adjustables are so popular. You can change how much blade is exposed. Some like more and others like less.

The fact that it was your fathers razor is what is important. My dad hated the DE razors and doesn't even remember the ones he used before he went to cartridges, and so he has none for me to swipe from him. :001_rolle It is nice to have a piece that you have a connection to.

The fact that it was your fathers razor is what is important. My dad hated the DE razors and doesn't even remember the ones he used before he went to cartridges, and so he has none for me to swipe from him. :001_rolle It is nice to have a piece that you have a connection to.

I couldn't agree more. You're lucky, Michael. You've got a great razor and a family heirloom that you can now pass on when the time comes. I have a friend who I got into wet shaving with a DE a few months ago. He remembers his late father used DEs up until the early 80s, and it kills him that he can't find any of them. Instead, he settled for an "impersonal" SuperSpeed off of eBay.

Top Bottom