What's new

Gillette ID Please.. So I don't have to bother Asylumguido with this one.

What am I..

And this IS getting re-plated.
I am debating on what to re-plate this in Gold, Rhodium, or Nickel High.....Your opinions on which metal to re-plate it in would be appreciated!......
I.E. WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That's a Gillette NEW but which plating, no idea...

That is a NEW, long comb version. With the common Bar Handle. Was also the first I asked for an ID on.

Here's mine after cleaning (was going to refinish it until I saw how it cleaned up).

proxy.php

proxy.php

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I should add, that razor is great, I find the handle a bit slippery but it's a nice razor!

Doesn't take long to get an answer on B&B does it! :001_smile

+3

I should add, that razor is great, I find the handle a bit slippery but it's a nice razor!

Thanks, part of a Craig's list buy. This razor, a Soligen Straight, 2 straights with combs, another gold tech (pocket edition with case), A super Speed red/clear case, an Early American round Old Spice box with Shulton written on it, and a boars brush (to restore) for $20. See below:
View attachment 74687

Here's how they look re-plated....

proxy.php
[/IMG]
proxy.php
[/IMG]
+1 thanks, mine shined up to look like copper with some Gold here and there, a bit of silver but fine looking and no bent teeth. Mine is physically sound but re-plating for this one is something I will do. The original gold looks very nice. Did this ever come on Rhodium or Nickel high?
Your Razor looks great.

Last edited:
Rhodium, I doubt (the only Rhodium plated Gillette from the US AFAIK was the Executive). Nickel, I'm not sure and certainly someone here can answer.

I do have a bit more information for you on your purchase though. The cased pocket razor is a Gillette Old Type (way older than a Tech). Check the top of the base plate (comb piece), it may have a serial number, which will lead to the year of manufacture.

The two ends that are separated from the handle tube are supposed to be press fit (and not come off), but the tubes very often developed stress cracks, probably why it has come apart. A few dabs of epoxy is not an uncommon fix for this.

The two "straights with combs" I think are probably Durham Duplex's.. Don't know a lot about them yet, but I just picked one up in a lot. Interesting on yours, are they mirror images of each other, so that one is left handed and one right handed? here's the one that came in my lot (I think these are commonly referred too as a Shavette, though I may be wrong there).

proxy.php

proxy.php

Rhodium, I doubt (the only Rhodium plated Gillette from the US AFAIK was the Executive). Nickel, I'm not sure and certainly someone here can answer.

I do have a bit more information for you on your purchase though. The cased pocket razor is a Gillette Old Type (way older than a Tech). Check the top of the base plate (comb piece), it may have a serial number, which will lead to the year of manufacture.

The two ends that are separated from the handle tube are supposed to be press fit (and not come off), but the tubes very often developed stress cracks, probably why it has come apart. A few dabs of epoxy is not an uncommon fix for this.

The two "straights with combs" I think are probably Durham Duplex's.. Don't know a lot about them yet, but I just picked one up in a lot. Interesting on yours, are they mirror images of each other, so that one is left handed and one right handed? here's the one that came in my lot (I think these are commonly referred too as a Shavette, though I may be wrong there).

Thanks for the information. There are no serial numbers. The "NEW" has patent numbers and just the "made in USA' & "Gillette" marks on the Pocket.
The pocket tube is trashed. Cracked all the way down the middle. I'll have to find one or see of Cooncatbob has a spare from his "Head" hunting. Either that or it will become a Bull Mastiff out of necessity.

I'll probably offer the Shavettes up for sale on BST. I have no need for them. Same goes with the OLD SPICE container. I may get new scales made and a cleanup/honing for the Straight razor.

You did not answer the re-plating question,
It is not what has been done before. That does not matter.
What do you think I should re-plate it in?
Rhodium, Nickel or Gold are the only three I am considering.

Leaving it in its copper look is unusual and I want something looking nicer & Easier to keep clean.
Rhodium would be much easier to keep clean and I may be leaning that way.
Gold would be traditional though and as seen in previous posts a nice looking razor.

John

Top Bottom