What's new

Gillette ID help please

I picked this up in a trade with a member. Anyone know what it is? My guess would be a maybe a Goodwill variation(?). I cannot seem to find a match in Waits or mr. razor's wonderful site. It came in a pocket edition case, but does not look like one to me. It has the Gillette diamond logo and says Made in Canada on the bottom of the head. No numbers or patents at all. Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• $DSCF1145.jpg
    $DSCF1145.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 213
  • $DSCF1146.jpg
    $DSCF1146.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 215
It looks like one of the pat 1932 'Old Types' from Canada. If you flip the head cap over, does it have notches on each corner?

Edit: This is what I mean when I mention the notches

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like one of the pat 1932 'Old Types' from Canada. If you flip the head cap over, does it have notches on each corner?

Edit: This is what I mean when I mention the notches

Yes, it does have the same notches. So, then it appears to be a 1932 Canadian Old Type?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this an unusual beast then?

Yes, I think that to some extent it is rare, but a few have surfaced on B&B. So it may have been a popular razor in its time. I suspect that a person with more knowledge will emerge shortly, until then I will call it a reproduction Old Type that is unique to Canada.

Things that make me think that it is rare. Fist off, it is Canadian and I have to assume that far less razors were made here than in the US or even England.
Those notches seem to be unique to this razor, I have not seen them in any other razor.
Although this looks like an Old Type, the patent on it is for 1932 (no other Old Types were made in the 30's, to my somewhat limited knowledge).
Also, that handle is nickel plated. I am not sure if any other Old Types came with this, I have only ever owned Old Types that are gold or silver plated.

interesting find! I know this handle only from the Canadian Red&Black set (around 1934), but I´ve never seen this handle with a Old Type / NEW hybrid head.

Attachments

• $2011-04-01 11-14-54_0091.jpg
    $2011-04-01 11-14-54_0091.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 180
Thanks. I does look just like the #4 razor in the link to the earlier thread. I am happy it has an ID.

Thanks. I does look just like the #4 razor in the link to the earlier thread. I am happy it has an ID.

I just received this exact razor in the mail. I bought it thinking it was a single ring and that the ebay seller had misidentified it. Turned out we both did.

This is an old thread, but thought I'd just put it in the record that there's at least three of these owned by members on the board now.

oake

Top Bottom