What's new

WTB Gillette Hybrid Tech... PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still looking for a Unicorn Gillette Hybrid Tech.

I'm interested in anything, from boxed NOS to "user grade." Even just the head (without handle) would be good.

Obviously it would be nice to have beautiful set like @Northstonehill Peter's:
Hybrid-Tech.jpg

but as I'm not a collector a "user grade" would be fine. If it was down to the brass, I'd have it replated.

Here's hoping... my intrepid "Mission Impossible" venture continues. :letterk1:

one for sale on the bay right now. 2000.00 lol but they have Best offer enabled. you could send them a reasonable offer.
Many thanks for the link. :001_cool:

I did have an offer in mind... I'm in the UK, so I looked at the import charges and postage:

1645292774296.png

:eek6: and they came to a good bit more than my proposed offer!*

* I am hoping to find one for "a little" bit less than $557.23. :letterk1:

I did have an offer in mind... I'm in the UK, so I looked at the import charges and postage:

View attachment 1412468

@Cal taxes are proportional to the paid price. If you pay $2K, you pay $500 in taxes (around 25%). If you pay $500 for the razor, taxes should amount to $125 approximately.

Not cheap, but I wanted to give you some encouragement. Good luck!

Reactions: Cal

View attachment 1412468

I'm watching the auction and I recieved a discounted offer from the seller. He knocked 1000.00 off and is willing to take only 1000.00

I'm watching the auction and I received a discounted offer from the seller. He knocked 1000.00 off and is willing to take only 1000.00
:yesnod: Me too...

but considering that I could get three new SS Wolfmans for that, it's still way too rich for me.

ALSO
My white rabbit is particular about his reflection, and doesn't think much of the $1000 Hybrid's cap:
1000dollarGHT-cap_2022-02-20.jpg

Here he is beside my 1947 Flat Bottom Tech:
1947-FBT-GT-shiny-cap_2022-02-20.jpg

Both the Hybrid and the Tech FB are using the same top caps, but i've seen a few Hybrids with a slightly different top cap probably used by other British Techs and/or NEW FB as well.

The Hybrids are not that rare, but there's a huge demand and most buyers are collectors who already have at least 1 or more of them and they have spread their tents across most websites camping and hunting and snagging them the moment they appear, which is why we don't see them that often.

Last year I could have bought at least two very easy for around $150 each, but back then I had some unknown issues with my bank card and I just couldn't link her to Paypal. I've contacted both my bank and Paypal and both sides blamed each other for that issue and my problem remain unsolved until i've tried again a few months ago and this time it worked.

I've not actually had the pleasure of using a hybrid, but everything I have read suggests that they shave exactly the same as a flat bottom Tech, other than the fact that the head is slightly heavier. I prefer a lighter razor and I can barely tell the difference between my EFB and my other Techs anyway, so no way would I pay a premium for that rather tatty looking hybrid.

Just my personal opinion, and your money may vary.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've not actually had the pleasure of using a hybrid, but everything I have read suggests that they shave exactly the same as a flat bottom Tech, other than the fact that the head is slightly heavier. I prefer a lighter razor and I can barely tell the difference between my EFB and my other Techs anyway, so no way would I pay a premium for that rather tatty looking hybrid.

Just my personal opinion, and your money may vary.
I have a lot of different Techs. My favorite Tech is the English Tech/NEW Hybrid. It slices through my barbed wire whiskers "just like buttah". :)

Number two is the Canadian Pre-War Tech. Excellent razor. Does everything I look for in a Tech. :)

The English Tech/NEW Hybrid just takes things up a notch or so in the 'smooth and refined' catagory. ;)

In my opinion, the Tech/NEW Hybrid is worth the money I paid for mine. :cool:

I have a lot of different Techs. My favorite Tech is the English Tech/NEW Hybrid. It slices through my barbed wire whiskers "just like buttah". :)

Number two is the Canadian Pre-War Tech. Excellent razor. Does everything I look for in a Tech. :)

The English Tech/NEW Hybrid just takes things up a notch or so in the 'smooth and refined' catagory. ;)

In my opinion, the Tech/NEW Hybrid is worth the money I paid for mine. :cool:
But have you compared a Hybrid with an EFB?

G

Guest2023

I am almost certain that I can detect HT in a blind test. It is diffrent from EFBT. For me EFBT is a bit more efficient and HT is much smoother. Both of them weren't qualified to my keeper standard so I let them go without hesitation.

I don't understand why in every HT post there are always people claiming HT is not different from EFB in terms of shaving quality.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I don't understand why in every HT post there are always people claiming HT is not different from EFB in terms of shaving quality.
Because every experience by every person of every product is subjective. Some people are convinced they can detect a difference and some are convinced they cannot, and they state their opinions which may be different to your own. Personally I do not care for Techs at all, I would take a Single Ring, Goodwill, or New Long Comb over any Tech, hybrid or otherwise 👍

I enjoy very much my American Techs and haven’t used any other variant, so I can’t say the hybrid is better or worse than any other razor.

However, from a business perspective, I don’t believe Gillette UK made the “perfect” razor, sold it for only a year, then decided it was too good to be marketed and discontinued it. I don’t buy the cost part either because, if anyone, Gillette had the size and scale to manufacture it cheaply.

Back in those days, product quality was really important to sustain sales and that’s why Gillette was investing a lot in R&D and launching new razors with new features.

Anyway, the only thing that matters here is that this is a hard-to-find and expensive razor that @Cal is looking forward to buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom