What's new

Gillette Hybrid Tech - noticed variations (Warning: Pic heavy)

Ah. I never analyse that much about bidders, maybe I should.

I am a positive soul and always forget/block out afterwards how much I paid, haha - so probably I have fallen victim to auction inside bidding sometimes. But seriously, I know that the world sometimes is evil, not least the auction/eBay world, so I have built this simple bidding process to not get tricked too much:

- I check for razors constantly, every day and globally, looking for the models I would like to get. You gotta know your market, also in the details
- I ONLY bid when it’s a razor that I really really want
- I am really careful about exploring the seller background and I notice how the description is built
- I have explored beforehand where prices on this model and condition usually ends
- I decide upfront exactly how much I would max pay and I never go above

And then my 3 painful learnings from bidding quite actively on the bays over 2 years (no wild finds in this neck of the woods :crying:):
(1) If it is a nice condition, well-known model there is 100% transparency and other people will be ready to join.
(2) Prices for desired models most usually will hit somewhere in the ballpark of earlier similar auctions.
(3) No auction is ever decided before 1-5 seconds before auction close, so your max bid is either rejected or wins. If there is a highballer crazy collector lurking you will lose always. Very irritating but very true.

Again, I am sure that I am naive and that others with different strategies strike gold for cheap. I have only done this a few times and never for more widely known and desired models.
It's quite possible the price would have gone that high anyway and it may not have been inside bidding at all, could just be a couple of people who are frequently reckless with their bidding - I just didn't like the idea of competing against bidders with a habit of withdrawing their bids. I bought an item from this bidder a few weeks ago and there was nothing odd about the auction so I'd like to stress I am not accusing them of any wrongdoing and I certainly wouldn't want to blacken their name with no real evidence.

I never used to check bidders records before either - the first time I did it out of interest (on an auction run by another vendor) and discovered one of the main bidders had 24 bid retractions over 6 months. I think it's wrong of eBay to allow people to continue to use the site with a record like that. How could one person possibly claim they'd made a mistake on 24 separate occasions? What's more, perfectly innocent vendors could have their reputation cast into doubt because of these bidders making bids on their auctions.

Forgetting all that boring old rubbish, It's a lovely razor and I hope you enjoy it. I've got RFB News, flat-bed News and a flat-bed Tech but not the hybrid. One day.....maybe.

ve
Thanks (as always) for your insightful reply. Looking at the example on Mr Razor’s site, though, it appears his example has the more rounded cap underside, as well as longer pins. The mysterious British variants strike again (and often)!

Thanks. You are right I think sir. Too bad we don't have more sources from Gillette to know.

These are two other Hybrid threads for those interested in the finer nerdy details. In the latter @Hoka Hey has shown the great detailed pictures I described of a different profile for the cap. This in fact may actually reflect what you note about the more rounded profile. The plot thickens.
Hybrid Tech - correct or incorrect top cap, case?
Hybrid Tech - First shave impressions and comparisons to other Techs

And speaking of unanswered questions on British Gillettes: If you take a look at my 2 New open comb RFB's pictured in the OP: Notice how the teeth on the upper one are quite a lot thicker than the one in the pic below? I did an ultra quick check and other #77's with the same baseplate engraving (with much more writing incl patent no) seems also to have these purdy thicker teeth - what gives? :)

Last edited:
Forgetting all that boring old rubbish, It's a lovely razor and I hope you enjoy it. I've got RFB News, flat-bed News and a flat-bed Tech but not the hybrid. One day.....maybe.

Haha, you are right indeed, sir - it's all about the razors, my philosophy too. Have a great weekend! :thumbup1:

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Hello,

I don’t think hybrids came in bakelite cases. The hybrid was a high end model, just a tad cheaper than an Aristocrat (as a No 40 set). The lower priced flat bottom Tech came in the bakelite case. Putting a high end razor in a low end case makes not much sense, imho.
As for caps, the hybrid was the only rhodium plated Tech, so any cap with original Rhodium plating will be matching. It looks quite similar to later, all brass ball end Tech caps, although some flat Bottom Techs came with New type caps.
I guess there were spares from New razors and new production from Techs.

Adam

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
861BEE62-5121-4799-B020-895886B1EDEE.jpeg 8BC34C3B-E880-4164-B6E0-4C97CE286B95.jpeg CCC1CB6C-74F2-489D-B088-CC0FEBA28DD4.jpeg Well, I finally scored a user-grade Hybrid Tech to call my own. This case looks more typical, and the cap has the corner posts and middle groove. Not nearly as gorgeous as yours, @Northstonehill !

View attachment 925311 View attachment 925312 View attachment 925313 Well, I finally scored a user-grade Hybrid Tech to call my own. This case looks more typical, and the cap has the corner posts and middle groove. Not nearly as gorgeous as yours, @Northstonehill !

That’s awesome, HD, congrats! - It actually looks above user-grade to me. And besides, in my experience razors ALWAYS turn out to be in finer shape than their pictures once you get them in hand.

I am sure you will love it. I just shaved with mine the last 4 days in a row and it is the smoothest razor I own, bar none. And one of my best balanced ones also. Enjoy :punk:

Last edited:
Hello,

I don’t think hybrids came in bakelite cases. The hybrid was a high end model, just a tad cheaper than an Aristocrat (as a No 40 set). The lower priced flat bottom Tech came in the bakelite case. Putting a high end razor in a low end case makes not much sense, imho.
As for caps, the hybrid was the only rhodium plated Tech, so any cap with original Rhodium plating will be matching. It looks quite similar to later, all brass ball end Tech caps, although some flat Bottom Techs came with New type caps.
I guess there were spares from New razors and new production from Techs.

Adam

Hi Adam.

The Bakelite cased Hybrid falls under what I call “non-typical” sets. Gillette England made a few.

My definition of a non typical set includes:
1. Were the dates of manufacture consistent between razor and case?

2. Can you find other examples of the same mismatch?

Fulfilling both the above doesn’t guarantee it’s a factory set, but in the absence of clear documentation, it’s the best we have, and does disprove obvious mismatch’s.

There’s a reference here in post #19 on a Bakelite Hybrid.
Raised Flat Bottom vs Tech/NEW Hybrid ?

It’s an RFB case basically from the late 30’s, matching the 1939 production of the Hybrid. So right time period, right factory. I can’t remember the specifics, but there was a difference in the tabs between the RFB 30’s Bakelite case, and the later Flat Bottom Tech Bakelite case.
8971D66D-2733-4EA8-8DE3-3D7D55B42AA4.jpeg
D2A4DDDD-4B25-4AA8-A60F-A93B17524BD2.jpeg

Gillette England did some odd things at times. Keeps things interesting!

Hannah's Dad

039571A8-D995-4618-8DD9-B1DBCD4532D5.jpeg
Peter, I took mine for a spin this morning, with a fresh Astra SP blade. Buttery smooth — I really raced around my face and the ATG pass was really comfortable. Oddly, it didn’t seem as close a shave as compared to my OC favorites; however, as I type these words, there’s very little stubble even after 14 hours. Perhaps I underestimated just how efficient this Hybrid Tech really is.

View attachment 925881 Peter, I took mine for a spin this morning, with a fresh Astra SP blade. Buttery smooth — I really raced around my face and the ATG pass was really comfortable. Oddly, it didn’t seem as close a shave as compared to my OC favorites; however, as I type these words, there’s very little stubble even after 14 hours. Perhaps I underestimated just how efficient this Hybrid Tech really is.

Thanks a lot for posting your shaving experiences, HD! - I actually agree, it does not shave as close as my open comb RFB’s (nothing does, really). But to me these actually are too close shaving for me to use every day. The Hybrid to me is just darn perfect as a daily user. The only razors in my den with comparable smoothness is the #77’s and my Brit Aristocrat #70.

And I have to say - that thing just looks gorgeous in your perfect photo - in fine shape!

Again, congrats on scoring this!
:a50:

Hi Adam.

The Bakelite cased Hybrid falls under what I call “non-typical” sets. Gillette England made a few.

My definition of a non typical set includes:
1. Were the dates of manufacture consistent between razor and case?

2. Can you find other examples of the same mismatch?

Fulfilling both the above doesn’t guarantee it’s a factory set, but in the absence of clear documentation, it’s the best we have, and does disprove obvious mismatch’s.

There’s a reference here in post #19 on a Bakelite Hybrid.
Raised Flat Bottom vs Tech/NEW Hybrid ?

It’s an RFB case basically from the late 30’s, matching the 1939 production of the Hybrid. So right time period, right factory. I can’t remember the specifics, but there was a difference in the tabs between the RFB 30’s Bakelite case, and the later Flat Bottom Tech Bakelite case. View attachment 925873View attachment 925874
Gillette England did some odd things at times. Keeps things interesting!

Good to see you again, sir, and thanks for pitching in :)

R

romsitsa

Hello Hoka,

the 1939 date is totally new, the known ad for the Hybrid is from 1947. And there is no mention of it from 1946 or earlier.
In general, I thought Gillette England switched to safety bar from open comb (not counting basic Techs) only post war?

Adam

Hannah's Dad

33DF6E27-0F18-4592-A2A3-8E80F93154C6.jpeg 5E194FB7-9087-4743-A2F1-193AF1B92671.jpeg D489A599-39EE-401C-9628-45356BCB1C9D.jpeg
Thanks a lot for posting your shaving experiences, HD! - I actually agree, it does not shave as close as my open comb RFB’s (nothing does, really). But to me these actually are too close shaving for me to use every day. The Hybrid to me is just darn perfect as a daily user. The only razors in my den with comparable smoothness is the #77’s and my Brit Aristocrat #70.

And I have to say - that thing just looks gorgeous in your perfect photo - in fine shape!

Again, congrats on scoring this!
:a50:
Today I swapped top caps and used my RFB cap on the Tech. This one is more like the cap found on Mr Razor’s site, and does not have the crease on the underside of the cap, and the pins are longer. Wow — the shave was wayyyyy smoother (if that’s even possible) and I achieved greater efficiency under my neck (my daily challenge spot). I realize that I interjected more variables (2nd shave on the Astra, different soap); but I am convinced that the Hybrid Tech pairs best with this top cap.

Hello Hoka,

the 1939 date is totally new, the known ad for the Hybrid is from 1947. And there is no mention of it from 1946 or earlier.
In general, I thought Gillette England switched to safety bar from open comb (not counting basic Techs) only post war?

Adam
1939? was a wrong information on my site. I´ve just correct it to 1947. Another collector has told me, that his set comes with "T3" blades from 1948.

Last edited:
View attachment 925946 View attachment 925947 View attachment 925948
Today I swapped top caps and used my RFB cap on the Tech. This one is more like the cap found on Mr Razor’s site, and does not have the crease on the underside of the cap, and the pins are longer. Wow — the shave was wayyyyy smoother (if that’s even possible) and I achieved greater efficiency under my neck (my daily challenge spot). I realize that I interjected more variables (2nd shave on the Astra, different soap); but I am convinced that the Hybrid Tech pairs best with this top cap.

Well, I gotta try that - thanks for sharing.

1939? was a wrong information on my site. I´ve just correct it to 1947. Another collector has told me, that his set comes with "T3" blades from 1948.

Thanks for updated info Achim - do we then assume that all Hybrids were made 1947-1948?

Hannah's Dad

Peter, I’ll be eager to hear about your shave with the Hybrid/RFB cap combination. I used the same today with a Kai blade and was again rewarded with a phenomenal shave.

Will do HD. It will have to wait a bit though as my #44 RFB cap is with my travel kit at my summerhouse. But am eager to try it for sure - will revert!

Another collector has told me, that his set comes with "T3" blades from 1948.

I checked the blue blades that came with my razor in the OP. They are marked F 1 and look like this. I tried briefly to google when they are from but did not manage to find out how to read that. But I guess definitely not 1940s.

089288FD-4DA2-46F7-BFD1-919A9596EBB6.jpeg

...And - ahem - on a related note... as posted in the acquisition thread an hour ago, I will now also check the blades on this set. They look like the above ones also, though :thumbup:

8244F214-446D-4310-B688-78FF59AFE49C.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom