What's new

Gillette Hybrid Tech - noticed variations (Warning: Pic heavy)

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
upload_2018-11-8_17-31-13.gif

I will defer to Achim. If it’s post war, so be it. It rocks the worlds understanding a bit, but so be it.

I had a romantic notion attached to the 1939 date. And it clicks a few other ways. The set I have is in a pre war Bakelite case. Certainly could be leftover stock.

I like the idea that they redesigned the Tech in 1939. Bombs falling. Let’s make a razor. In Rhodium. Maybe it didn’t happen, but I like to believe it could.

It’s so singular, and rare, that it’s certainly possible.

I will defer to Achim. If it’s post war, so be it. It rocks the worlds understanding a bit, but so be it.

I had a romantic notion attached to the 1939 date. And it clicks a few other ways. The set I have is in a pre war Bakelite case. Certainly could be leftover stock.

I like the idea that they redesigned the Tech in 1939. Bombs falling. Let’s make a razor. In Rhodium. Maybe it didn’t happen, but I like to believe it could.

It’s so singular, and rare, that it’s certainly possible.

I really like your story and thinking around the Hybrid being made in 1939. I have the same with my 1941 Ranger Tech.

I still think also that there would be solid logic in that they made the Hybrid at the same time as they were making New RFB’s. And supporting that story just take a look at the comparison pics in my OP where you see the exact similar text engravings (and variations) in the baseplates of the two.

But I guess this could also be a nice and plausible story: Right after the war British Gillette decided to celebrate freedom, but they were still limited in inventing new models (limited production setup and even manpower maybe) so they needed to utilize whatever they had lying around. So then someone says - “I’ve got it! Let’s make a Tech, but a very nicer one! The Rolls-Royce of Techs!” - And then his colleague saying “Fantastic idea, then we should make it in gorgeous and futuristic RHODIUM!”.

Who knows, eh?

For me though another upside is that with this new date I would tend to think that my bakelite case pictured in the OP - which came with a 1950 blade included - might still be original :)

Last edited:
Ok, so this will be my last post before putting this thread to rest for a while. Just wanted to share my latest findings on case and top plate differences. And not least to share detail pictures for future reference by other Hybrid aficionados (as I have never seen this detailed elsewhere).

Leather case differences - inner layout
Today I received my crazy wild find Hybrid delivered in the other type of leather case, the one usually seen. Here are comparison pics for detailing on printing and inner layout differences.

9435C3EF-56BC-4E7F-94F9-A50666DA0422.jpeg
7EBF4B91-F2C3-4B32-B2A7-B79057C7CA3C.jpeg

Top cap
Further, as regards top caps the below picture shows my 2 original Hybrid caps combined with, in the middle, my unoriginal standard Tech brass one that I had replated. The main difference seems to lie in the ‘bend’/groove also noticed by @Hannah's Dad, on the backside of the baseplate, quite noticable.

However, another difference is that the unoriginal cap pin seems slightly smaller in diameter, making it feel a little bit more wobbly when tightening. However all tightened up there is no difference to feel at all. Solid as a rock. And remember, as for the shaving experience I find no discernible difference whatsoever.

519A4D7D-531F-4CB9-97C9-A9AB4527CD29.jpeg

Finally - as I have gathered now - these are all the 3 Hybrid case versions I have registered so far :)

EDD5C9D4-8150-48E0-AD65-CBA3371CFF80.jpeg

Please pitch in with any comments or observations. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello, I still see no evidence for the bakelite case. Adam

Adam, you are right. I don’t think there is proof for one or the other. No matter what, I am definitely not a case expert. But as far as I have pieced together the 30s bakelites and the later bakelites may differ in the placement (in the lid) of the tap holding the razor handle down/in place.

See these pics which may illustrate. The first one I just found online and it shows (I suppose) a 30s case (shows an RFB set). Notice how the tap which holds the handle in place sits out by the edge of the lid, aligned with the corner fangs.

The below pic shows 2 cases of mine - the upper case in the pic is similar to the one in the other pic, the lower is the one I got with the Hybrid. As you can see they are different. The lower has the handle catch further inward on the lid.

However, I may be totally off-base. And I will be happy if one day someone presents an irrefutable source on what is correct. Still, after all we are not discussing Rembrandts here ;)

7B5EAAAA-DDDA-4E7B-89BC-CB730B865BDA.jpeg
192B8C12-2344-4096-BAC3-1D62370D15B5.jpeg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Adam, you are right. I don’t think there is proof for one or the other. No matter what, I am definitely not a case expert. But as far as I have pieced together the 30s bakelites and the later bakelites may differ in the placement (in the lid) of the tap holding the razor handle down/in place.

See these pics which may illustrate. The first one I just found online and it shows (I suppose) a 30s case (shows an RFB set). Notice how the tap which holds the handle in place sits out by the edge of the lid, aligned with the corner fangs.

The below pic shows 2 cases of mine - the upper case in the pic is similar to the one in the other pic, the lower is the one I got with the Hybrid. As you can see they are different. The lower has the handle catch further inward on the lid.

However, I may be totally off-base. And I will be happy if one day someone presents an irrefutable source on what is correct. Still, after all we are not discussing Rembrandts here ;)

View attachment 927828 View attachment 927827
Ah, but the Hybrid Tech is a wet-shavers Masterpiece!

R

romsitsa

Hello,

the bakelite case is alright, it just doesn't match the hybrid. The bakelite case was used for low priced Techs and News, while the Hybrid was a high end razor. The only similar package would be the australian 4th gen Aristocrat in a rocket case, but there I also have my doubts.
As for a 1939 manufacture of the hybrid, it was only advertised in 1947 and then it was "new".

Adam

I don't know much about cases either, or handles and top caps come to that. But it did occur to me recently that we shouldn't assume the resources we use to check these details are always 100% reliable. I've used the Mr Razor site in the past, for example, and it's a great resource but how many sets were used as a sample to conclude that each one pictured is authoritative (I'm not picking on that site, it's just an example)? I've also seen the often posted image of New caps, base plates and handles on this site - I'm not sure where this resource came from but I've seen RFB News with slightly different handle / base plate / top cap combinations than those pictured and who's to say which ones are 'right'?

Anyway, sorry for drifting off topic. My point, if I have one (!), is that we all know Gillette was prone to mix and match parts as one production run ended and another begun so it's often difficult to say with any certainty (except for very obvious examples) that a certain case, cap, base plate or handle does not belong in a particular set.

Hello,

the bakelite case is alright, it just doesn't match the hybrid. The bakelite case was used for low priced Techs and News, while the Hybrid was a high end razor. The only similar package would be the australian 4th gen Aristocrat in a rocket case, but there I also have my doubts.
As for a 1939 manufacture of the hybrid, it was only advertised in 1947 and then it was "new".

Adam
I am with Adam in this. :)

Top Bottom