What's new

Gillette Hybrid Tech - noticed variations (Warning: Pic heavy)

45A87CCB-DF95-4475-A76C-EE93DA674D54.jpeg

This week I scored big time to reel in a fine Hybrid Tech - delivered as a full set with correct blade bank and in the lovely tan zippered leather case which incidentally I believe was never offered for any other Gillette model. Perfect catch this one also as it was offered within the EU, meaning for me low shipping and no added customs whatsoever (for a change!).

So now - apart from sharing a bit of eye candy with you all :) - I thought it interesting to share with you some small differences I notice when inspecting this razor compared to its twin sister already with me.

I haven’t actually been able to find much detailed history on this great performing 1930s Gillette Tech razor model clad in stunning rhodium, the only solid bar Raised Flat Bottom ever offered by Gillette. So hopefully some of you folks will be interested and/or be able to contribute to this thread with further info ... as I know a number of you sit with much greater knowledge on this.

The case
First of all - and very interestingly - this new specimen as said came in the often seen tan zippered leather case. However this one is subtly different from all other Hybrid leather cases that I have been able to dig out pictures of online.

All other leather cases I have seen thus are identical to the one pictured by mr. Razor below, sporting a small centered Gillette logo both on the outside and on the inside of the lid. This one instead only has simple ‘Gillette’ letterering on the outside but on the inside it has a much larger/more full texting stating ‘Gillette - SAFETY RAZOR - Made In England’. Also the case seems to have thicker padding inside, providing better protection of the disassembled razor.

340B500E-7C51-44B8-BE01-DF8D9276ED57.jpeg
F3EEDAE7-B63A-491C-B444-8705A9CA5B94.jpeg
D5DC4ACC-6830-40CB-A1C9-D6D040E423AA.png

I am very interested to know what others make of this? And has anybody seen (or have pics of) a similar case? - For now at least I allow myself to assume that it must be original to the set.

My other Hybrid came in the other originally offered set option, which was the well-known Gillette bakelite case - though mine actually may be unoriginal for the set, is maybe slightly newer than the razor (according to @tonich).
CA6EE7C4-AB37-4C04-9D5B-13DDF1D46661.jpeg

Baseplate inscription/engraving
Another difference between these two Hybrids is differening lettering/engraving on the baseplate, as also shown in the pics. Interestingly, I note the same differences in inscriptions when I compare my two RFB #77’s which came out of the same proud British Gillette organization during the 1930s. Could this be differences marking varying yearly production runs?

5E1F38A4-581D-4A1A-A7F1-BA90C5A6257E.jpeg
F61C4765-982A-481D-8B37-FE7340BA0E8F.jpeg
3A5D05F0-0FC6-4B8E-AAD6-C5DFC49CECA9.jpeg
16BC8C8F-2159-4174-ADB3-2DB2369807BE.jpeg

The top cap
Thirdly, the new arrival has its original top cap (similar also to the one shown in the mr. Razor pic). The top cap on my other specimen, on the other hand, is not the original. For some strange reason this razor came to me in great condition but with an unoriginal later logo-etched Tech cap. Strange. But I immediately dug up a standard brass Tech top cap from the same time period and had this replated in rhodium by Chris Evatt.

I actually explored a bit on Hybrid top caps at the time and it seems that it came in varying guises with subtle differences. My quick-and-dirty solution does the job nicely, looks and weighs the same and is actually 99% identical I would say. For the true collector it may not be acceptable. But for me, a happy amateur user, it is perfectly fine.

Correct Hybrid top cap on the left - standard Tech cap on the right:
94EBEDCC-BAE7-4E2B-A4BC-846FF7CF28C3.jpeg

Conclusion
For what it’s worth the 2 razors shave exactly the same and feel the same - just darn perfect. My desert island razor for sure. Something about the design being so simple and yet so elegant at the same time.

Thanks for reading. Happy shaves, all!

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Super score, Peter! I have yet to shave with one of the hybrids.
eBay?

View attachment 924434

This week I scored big time to reel in a fine Hybrid Tech - delivered as a full set with correct blade bank and in the lovely tan zippered leather case which incidentally I believe was never offered for any other Gillette model. Perfect catch this one also as it was offered within the EU, meaning for me low shipping and no added customs whatsoever (for a change!).

So now - apart from sharing a bit of eye candy with you all :) - I thought it interesting to share with you some small differences I notice when inspecting this razor compared to its twin sister already with me.

I haven’t actually been able to find much detailed history on this great performing 1930s Gillette Tech razor model clad in stunning rhodium, the only solid bar Raised Flat Bottom ever offered by Gillette. So hopefully some of you folks will be interested and/or be able to contribute to this thread with further info ... as I know a number of you sit with much greater knowledge on this.

The case
First of all - and very interestingly - this new specimen as said came in the often seen tan zippered leather case. However this one is subtly different from all other Hybrid leather cases that I have been able to dig out pictures of online.

All other leather cases I have seen thus are identical to the one pictured by mr. Razor below, sporting a small centered Gillette logo both on the outside and on the inside of the lid. This one instead only has simple ‘Gillette’ letterering on the outside but on the inside it has a much larger/more full texting stating ‘Gillette - SAFETY RAZOR - Made In England’. Also the case seems to have thicker padding inside, providing better protection of the disassembled razor.

View attachment 924433 View attachment 924435 View attachment 924436
I am very interested to know what others make of this? And has anybody seen (or have pics of) a similar case? - For now at least I allow myself to assume that it must be original to the set.

My other Hybrid came in the other originally offered set option, which was the well-known Gillette bakelite case - though mine actually may be unoriginal for the set, is maybe slightly newer than the razor (according to @tonich).
View attachment 924442

Another difference between these two Hybrids is differening lettering/engraving on the baseplate, as also shown in the pics. Interestingly, I note the same differences in inscriptions when I compare my two RFB #77’s which came out of the same proud British Gillette organization during the 1930s. Could this be differences marking varying yearly production runs?

View attachment 924439 View attachment 924440 View attachment 924437 View attachment 924438

The top cap
Thirdly, the new arrival has its original top cap (similar also to the one shown in the mr. Razor pic). The top cap on my other specimen, on the other hand, is not the original. For some strange reason this razor came to me in great condition but with an unoriginal later logo-etched Tech cap. Strange. But I immediately dug up a standard brass Tech top cap from the same time period and had this replated in rhodium by Chris Evatt.

I actually explored a bit on Hybrid top caps at the time and it seems that it came in varying guises with subtle differences. My quick-and-dirty solution does the job nicely, looks and weighs the same and is actually 99% identical I would say. For the true collector it may not be acceptable. But for me, a happy amateur user, it is perfectly fine.

View attachment 924441

Conclusion
For what it’s worth the 2 razors shave exactly the same and feel the same - just darn perfect. My desert island razor for sure. Something about the design being so simple and yet so elegant at the same time.

Congratulations.
View attachment 924434

The case

View attachment 924433 View attachment 924435 View attachment 924436

View attachment 924442

View attachment 924439 View attachment 924440 View attachment 924437 View attachment 924438

The top cap

View attachment 924441

Conclusion

congratulations. I watched the eBay auction and hoped it may have gone to a good home with a B&B member. Thanks for sharing

I was watching that auction and decided against bidding for the razor. I would have only been interested in the razor because of the different case that it came in. Both of my hybrids have the standard case that is seen on the mr.razor site and are stamped like your example on the right. Very interesting about the different stamping on your new addition!!

R

romsitsa

Hello,

your case sometimes pop up with fat handle Techs, but I never saw it in ads.
If you take a closer look, the leather cases are not subtly, but totally different (two piece vs. ope piece case, zipper, backing material of the liner, etc.).

Adam

Thanks everybody for your appreciative and kind words! - And also for your added information on the case. The razor itself is indeed in quite fabulous like-new condition, If it has been used a lot by the former owners they really have taken good care of it. But again, rhodium is very sturdy and can take some abuse.

As for the photos these were taken with my simple iPhone 6S, but using a 15 dollar foldable mini photo studio with built-in LED lightning (borrowed this from my daughter, and I am myself amazed at what you get out of it). Will definitely use this going forward.

If you take a closer look, the leather cases are not subtly, but totally different (two piece vs. ope piece case, zipper, backing material of the liner, etc.). Adam

You are totally right, Adam, when looking closer. Thanks for pointing this out. And I have to say it is really a sturdy case (still after 80+ years). I would not hesitate to use it for travelling - though this razor may not travel with me, I have so many other nice razors ... and razor cases for that matter, haha.

Does anyone know if this is better than a red or flare tip?

Well, that depends of course on what you prefer. I personally prefer Rockets to Super-Speeds and in general find all Rockets very nice shavers. They are in my Top 3 of Gillette model families along with the New RFB’s and the Techs in general. Mild, still very efficient, and with top build quality.

Shaving quality-wise I’d say this Hybrid does no better than the best Rockets (to me these would be the HD and the #58). However, as for smoothness this is a tad better - even as I find Rockets veeery smooth razors. And also the balance of the Hybrid is out of this world. The baseplate is heavier than other Techs, making the razor slightly top heavy. But once you’ve adjusted for this they are absolute perfection.

Congratulations.

congratulations. I watched the eBay auction and hoped it may have gone to a good home with a B&B member. Thanks for sharing
I watched it too and was bidding in the early stages, until I noticed that two of the other bidders who made most of the bids had records with 17 and 6 bid retractions in the last 6 months. I thought you were only allowed to withdraw a bid in exceptional circumstances such as entering the wrong amount by mistake - I refuse to believe that somebody manages to do that nearly 3 times a month.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
So is there only one proper cap for the Hybrid Tech? Does it have the ‘crease’ in the center of the underside as well as corner tabs?

I watched it too and was bidding in the early stages, until I noticed that two of the other bidders who made most of the bids had records with 17 and 6 bid retractions in the last 6 months. I thought you were only allowed to withdraw a bid in exceptional circumstances such as entering the wrong amount by mistake - I refuse to believe that somebody manages to do that nearly 3 times a month.

Ah. I never analyse that much about bidders, maybe I should.

I am a positive soul and always forget/block out afterwards how much I paid, haha - so probably I have fallen victim to auction inside bidding sometimes. But seriously, I know that the world sometimes is evil, not least the auction/eBay world, so I have built this simple bidding process to not get tricked too much:

- I check for razors constantly, every day and globally, looking for the models I would like to get. You gotta know your market, also in the details
- I ONLY bid when it’s a razor that I really really want
- I am really careful about exploring the seller background and I notice how the description is built
- I have explored beforehand where prices on this model and condition usually ends
- I decide upfront exactly how much I would max pay and I never go above

And then my 3 painful learnings from bidding quite actively on the bays over 2 years (no wild finds in this neck of the woods :crying:):
(1) If it is a nice condition, well-known model there is 100% transparency and other people will be ready to join.
(2) Prices for desired models most usually will hit somewhere in the ballpark of earlier similar auctions.
(3) No auction is ever decided before 1-5 seconds before auction close, so your max bid is either rejected or wins. If there is a highballer crazy collector lurking you will lose always. Very irritating but very true.

Again, I am sure that I am naive and that others with different strategies strike gold for cheap. I have only done this a few times and never for more widely known and desired models.

Last edited:
So is there only one proper cap for the Hybrid Tech? Does it have the ‘crease’ in the center of the underside as well as corner tabs?

Honestly, I am not sure. Compiling all pictures I studied online there seems to be small variations. Most (if not all?) do indeed have the crease in the center of the underside like you describe. And like regular Tech caps also had in earlier decades (30s-50s, I guess).

In an earlier Hybrid thread a knowledgable member presented that a proper Hybrid cap has a different profile seen from the end (angle like my last pic in the OP), very different from other Tech caps. I don’t know. My new specimen does not and I actually think it may be original. My hypothesis will be that Gillette (as also seen in other instances with other models) did have inexplicable variations from year to year.

In this level of detail I am really an amateur and do not know enough. So I will need to refer to the experts :ouch1: ... such as for instance @tonich/Andon and @Hoka Hey/Mark - are you out there?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello,

your case sometimes pop up with fat handle Techs, but I never saw it in ads.
If you take a closer look, the leather cases are not subtly, but totally different (two piece vs. ope piece case, zipper, backing material of the liner, etc.).

Adam

I know only this Australian 1947 Ad:

1947-11-29 No15, No27, No40, No77 Australia.jpg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Honestly, I am not sure. Compiling all pictures I studied online there seems to be small variations. Most (if not all?) do indeed have the crease in the center of the underside like you describe. And like regular Tech caps also had in earlier decades (30s-50s, I guess).

In an earlier Hybrid thread a knowledgable member presented that a proper Hybrid cap has a different profile seen from the end (angle like my last pic in the OP), very different from other Tech caps. I don’t know. My new specimen does not and I actually think it may be original. My hypothesis will be that Gillette (as also seen in other instances with other models) did have inexplicable variations from year to year.

In this level of detail I am really an amateur and do not know enough. So I will need to refer to the experts :ouch1: ... such as for instance @tonich/Andon and @Hoka Hey/Mark - are you out there?

Thanks.
Thanks (as always) for your insightful reply. Looking at the example on Mr Razor’s site, though, it appears his example has the more rounded cap underside, as well as longer pins. The mysterious British variants strike again (and often)!

Top Bottom