What's new

Gillette Heritage Initial Review

[My review from another thread.]

Been using mine for a few days now and I have to say, this shaver may replace my Merkur Progress as my daily shaver (using Astra SPs).

Construction is superb, polished under the cap etc. and I've always liked a 3 piece design. Grippy handle.

Shave is top notch. Smooth and aggressive enough to get a BBS shave with 2.5 passes, the same as my Progress. Perfect blade registration, size, balance and weight.

It's an easy shaver, like a Merkur 34c, never worried about cutting myself. (A 34c used to be my second favorite shaver.) I'd say it's a little more aggressive than a 34c.

And the travel case is high quality and a nice touch.

Gillette certainly did their homework here.

I received mine a few days ago and enjoy it for what it is.

I know there's been a lot of disappointment and/or controversy around this razor because it's not a "true" Gillette product. I don't feel duped in any way and, again, appreciate it for what it is...a nice, functional, classic-type razor offered by Gillette. I doubt that Gillette still has the manufacturing equipment to actually produce safety razors so I wasn't expecting that. They could have gone the cheap route and hired a Chinese plant to pump out shoddy TTO's stamped w/ a Gillette logo but I ended up with a nicely finished product. I'm happy.
I think that the importance of this razor, "real" Gillette, or not, is the fact that actual user reviews deem it a good shave. This matters in the realm of wet shaving, since it serves to go fly the Gillette flag to catch the attention of new wet shavers, or those on the fence & confused with all the spiffy/spendy razor names to choose from.

Like it or not, Gillette has been the go-to word for shaving for over 100 years now. It looks like they've held up their end by, once again, offering a good shave at a reasonable price. This will benefit Gillette, maybe to a lesser degree, than the entire wet-shaving industry by drawing in new customers / hobbyists.

Go ask the typical Joe Schlub (or even his girlfriend) out on the street about Brand Names - there's Jello, Kleenex, Tampax, BIC or Zippo, or Kool-Aid. Put generic, other brands of these things on a table and ask for someone to pick up one (named by the Brand Name) & they can do so without hesitation.

NOW, ask them to hand you the Muehle, Edwin Jagger or Rockwell from amidst a jumble of hand tools & most are lost. Tell them to hand you a Gillette & you'll get a razor ... not necessarily the Gillette, but something near-universally identified with shaving.

Last edited:
Just got mine yesterday (11/16) just in time to use it before having to go to work. Used it with the blades provided and got a great shave with it. I only have 2 quibbles with the set. 1.) I think the knurling could be a little deeper and 2.) I would’ve liked the case to have had tabs on the slots for the razor and blades to hold them in a little more securely.

Clearly looks like a 5 too me.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes. He was just asking about the typeface. It seems R41=5, R89/Gillette Heritage=4.

Well I guess it depends how you look at history.

Thanks for providing this historical perspective!

I have a R89 or two but never actually wondered where that design got its inspiration from.
The Rotbart seems a likely candidate indeed!

My GH is underway, always a bumpy journey from the US to the Netherlands by UPS.
Really curious to learn how it looks an behaves IRL.

Well, I guess it's a toe in the water for Gillette. I hope the razor sells well and creates demand for a truly in-house designed and manufactured DE razor.

If they would just make a brass tech that would be fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. He was just asking about the typeface. It seems R41=5, R89/Gillette Heritage=4.
Exactly what I was trying to find out jmudrick looks like there is a connection between the mold makers/molding company which makes Muhle topcaps and this new 'Gillette' razor.This information doesn't make the razor good or bad, but another indicator what company's factory this razor came from. For myself I would really be interested in a Gillette manufactured razor, less so in what sounds from reviews as a Muhle R89 clone made by Muhle. Already have several '89' versions, won't spend money on another one.

So it's not an EJ [3], not a Muhle [4], but a Merkur [5]?

I don’t think these numbers matter These are my head caps for both my Merkurs. One is from the 34c and the other of from the barber pole.
Looks like something both Muhle and merkur use. I don’t think it identifies the manufacturer.

I have had merkurs that use 3, 4 and 5. So it’s all meaningless.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I don't see myself trying this razor, I feel I already have tried it if you know what I mean, but this thread is very interesting, lots of useful info.

I'm pretty sure Gillette knew what they did, they did some research before launching it... Maybe the traditional shaving isn't dead...

I don’t think these numbers matter These are my head caps for both my Merkurs. One is from the 34c and the other of from the barber pole.
Looks like something both Muhle and merkur use. I don’t think it identifies the manufacturer.

I have had merkurs that use 3, 4 and 5. So it’s all meaningless.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Thank you. I thought it was manufacturing process related not branding, but wasn't sure.

I doubt that Gillette still has the manufacturing equipment to actually produce safety razors so I wasn't expecting that.
It's a huge disappointment that Gillette who dominates the market are unable to create anything new.

I own two vintage 3 piece gold tone razors. One is a Gillette New Open Comb (short). It has the Gillette diamond logo, made in usa and patt. no. common to this razor on the base plate.
The second looks like a Gillette New Open Comb (long) with made in usa and the same patt. no. but was made by Otto Roth which was bought by Gillette.
The only other difference with this razor is the handle is a little thinner and a little longer, just like this new Gillette Heritage.
I have never seen a Gillette New with this handle but it is most likely this is where the design came from.
The photo shows the Otto Roth long open comb handle on the left and the Gillette New Open Comb handle on the right.
Gillette handles.jpg

On the left is the DE89 and on the right is the Gillette. The Gillette has a more domed head so to me. I shaved with it and it’s smoother than the DE89.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
On the left is the DE89 and on the right is the Gillette. The Gillette has a more domed head so to me. I shaved with it and it’s smoother than the DE89.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Very curious if the curvature radius and blade gap are the same because by looking at the picture it is not
It looks to me that the blade bent more on the heritage with smaller gap

Very curious if the curvature radius and blade gap are the same because by looking at the picture it is not
It looks to me that the blade bent more on the heritage with smaller gap

I did my best with zooming in and holding the camera steady.

I did my best with zooming in and holding the camera steady.

Right but the Gillette is Muhle. Both EJ and Muhle have always insisted the razor design was jointly developed but not identical.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Right but the Gillette is Muhle. Both EJ and Muhle have always insisted the razor design was jointly developed but not identical.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The head cap on the Gillette is not the same as the Muhle. The R89 has a notch on the cap.

Nevertheless, I give smoothness and efficiency to the Gillette razor over the DE89. If anyone has a Gillette and R89 for comparison it would be great.
One thing is for sure, I’ll get rid of my EJ.
proxy.php

Top Bottom