What's new

Gillette Heritage Initial Review

Overall, a good bargain for a Muhle r89 with a nice case and a nice tuck of blades. But you do not get a Gillette razor, only a Gillette case.

Look at it this way, if Gillette doesn't want to mark their new razor as a Gillette, than I will agree with them and I also won't call it a Gillette.
!

Well I guess it depends how you look at history.

So, way back in the late 1920s Gillette acquired Rotbart company from Germany.....they had a closed scalloped comb razor. The DE89/R89 is based on that design.....In essence Gillette has come full circle with the heritage razor being a razor head inspired by a company they owned in the 20s in some weird way

“Rotbart was an independant European (German) maker bought out by Gillette in 1927 and continued to produce as Rotbart under the Gillette ownership for a time..... This buyout allowed Gillette to use many of the Rotbart designs and patents, and for a period of time after WWII, it was not clear whether Rotbart (still existing as a brand name) was copying the Gillettes, or Gillette copying the Rotbarts.”

All this to say, Gillette has its fingerprints all over it. So to say it’s not a Gillette MAY be incorrect.

Below is the Rotbart from Gillette....all this to say R89 was a “heritage” inspired scalloped bar from the 20s.

So Gillette is commissioning in essence their razor if you look at it that way.

Does anybody say that the TTO super speeds are really Valet Autostrop razors when they acquired Gillette and used their own engineers to design the TTO?

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I read the book "Rasier Dicht richtig!" (Shave yourself correctly!) by Ulli Tückmantel. The last chapter is titled "A renaissance?". If a renaissance is defined as a reentry into the mass market, then no. Even so the German DE companies are running well, their share of the DE market is below 1%. And the overall volume of the German shaving market has been shrinking by nearly 5% each year for the last 6 years. Dovo/Merkur and Mühle are prospering in their niche, but it is only a niche and will stay that way in a foreseeable future. For me niches are beautiful!

So, way back in the late 1920s Gillette acquired Rotbart company from Germany.....they had a closed scalloped comb razor. The DE89/R89 is based on that design.....In essence Gillette has come full circle with the heritage razor being a razor head inspired by a company they owned in the 20s in some weird way

“Rotbart was an independant European (German) maker bought out by Gillette in 1927 and continued to produce as Rotbart under the Gillette ownership for a time..... This buyout allowed Gillette to use many of the Rotbart designs and patents, and for a period of time after WWII, it was not clear whether Rotbart (still existing as a brand name) was copying the Gillettes, or Gillette copying the Rotbarts.”

All this to say, Gillette has its fingerprints all over it. So to say it’s not a Gillette MAY be incorrect.

Below is the Rotbart from Gillette....all this to say R89 was a “heritage” inspired scalloped bar from the 20s.

Does anybody say that the TTO super speeds are really Valet Autostrop razors when they acquired Gillette and used their own engineers to design the TTO?

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Thanks for the historical link! Very nice razors.

The R89 has the same notch as the D89. Not the same as Gillette’s.

Has anybody tried measuring the blade gap?

I haven’t recieved one so I can’t measure it at the moment.

proxy.php

Last edited:
R89 and Gillette have a slight weight difference
Top cap:
Gillette 14.7g
Muhle 14.9g
Base plate:
Gillette17.4g
Muhle 18.1g

Now the head shave report:

Muhle 89 vs Gillette Heritage

Warm wet towel x 3

Proraso Red pre shave

Proraso Red tub using RazoRock synthetic

Blades: Gillette 7 O'clock green new on each

This was a 3 pass shave, it felt good, the R89 felt a bit more efficient on first pass, later probably no difference.

All in all, an average shave.

Proraso Balm

I chose Proraso thinking most people will probably have those items, I don't use them that much.

Now my personal opinion: if you have the R89 and just want a razor to shave: don't waste your $$ in this Gillette!

If you don't have an R89, then I think this is an OK razor....

If you are a collector....get it....the BOX is nice....reminiscent of the OLD Gillette boxes.

I do get better shaves from Karve OC "C", Muhle R41 or RR Jaws

I have the R89 and had not used it since Jan, not biased at all; and I love Gillette vintage Razors...have a few of those.

I have the Heritage and have not used it yet. Did have an excellent shave with a New this morning and seeing it compared to the Heritage was interesting. I may not have purchased a pure Gillette experience but I have already had over $35.00 worth of entertainment and engagement. I have not used an EJ89 since mine broke a couple of years ago. As an aside, that is the only razor I have had that broke (out of about 40). Excellent write up and I appreciate the insights. I have a backlog of unused razors so the Heritage may not come up for a while.

Great review, full and complete. Thank you.
FWIW I remember reading somewhere Muhle molds put a 4 underside of the top cap. Can anyone else confirm or correct that?

That was an excellent review by SucKo, as many have said. He is under-monikered, a switch to Good Jobbo may be in order. What this whole thread shows to me is that Gillette has finally figured out there is marketing value to using its name and trademarks for vintage-inspired shaving items, but actually designing a whole new razor, even a three-piece one, would be biting off more than it wants to chew, at least for now. Using the already very popular R89 was a smart move.

Great review, full and complete. Thank you.
FWIW I remember reading somewhere Muhle molds put a 4 underside of the top cap. Can anyone else confirm or correct that?

My R41 has a 5 under the cap

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the review and for the photo's. The razor and case certainly look good to me.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

This may have been the most interesting thing about the Heritage razor I have read. I didn't know this and I love learning new things. Thank you @gLet for posting this tidbit.

I shaved with my Heritage for the first time this morning and found it to be an excellent razor. It provided a very mild, almost idiot proof shave with zero irritation/weepers. I'd have had to pull out a slightly more aggressive razor for touch ups if I wanted a BBS. I prefer a more aggressive shaver for daily driving but I also enjoy my variety so I'm sure the Heritage will creep into my rotation here and there. I'll probably reach for it most often when I'm in a hurry since it's a no brainer quick and mild shave.

After reading all the glowing comments about the spiffy new Gillette Heritage, I decided to pull the trigger & buy one - not for shaving, but to leave in the shipping box & put in a dark corner as a collectable.

But, after looking around online, I decided to go with something much C H E A P E R:
Gillette 'Windsor'.jpg

I suppose I'll regret getting some Old, cheap razor instead of the Heritage, but, I'll come to terms someday and resign myself to living with my foolish choice.

R

romsitsa

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Hello, there are a few problems. The safety bar with teeth was patented by Schlüssler. The EJ/Mühle bar is “scalloped”, this was patented by Merkur.
Roth&Büchner had no razor related patents, they were using Gillette patents, but only for the long slot blade.
Around 1937, when the closed comb Rotbart was introduced, Gillette already lost its patents for the long slot blades in Germany, so this “pointy” bar a slotted blades were produced all over Germany. I suspect it was easier to cast pointy teeth in zamak than square ones.
After the NSDAP took over the country Gillette lost control over Roth&Büchner, so the company went its own way (hand in hand with Solingen firms) till the end of the war.

Adam

Hello, there are a few problems. The safety bar with teeth was patented by Schlüssler. The EJ/Mühle bar is “scalloped”, this was patented by Merkur.
Roth&Büchner had no razor related patents, they were using Gillette patents, but only for the long slot blade.
Around 1937, when the closed comb Rotbart was introduced, Gillette already lost its patents for the long slot blades in Germany, so this “pointy” bar a slotted blades were produced all over Germany. I suspect it was easier to cast pointy teeth in zamak than square ones.
After the NSDAP took over the country Gillette lost control over Roth&Büchner, so the company went its own way (hand in hand with Solingen firms) till the end of the war.

Adam
Thanks Adam.

I'll also note that in terms of Gillette's US heritage that scalloped bar guard was brought to America through the Barbasol and later Clix razors following the filing of the Conrad Co. patent in 1933.

proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hello everyone, I received my GHR on Thursday and really like the final product; however, I feel a little cheated the razor is not a true authentic Gillette product. I wish it had Gillette engraved on the head like a vintage tech.

I received mine a few days ago and enjoy it for what it is.

I know there's been a lot of disappointment and/or controversy around this razor because it's not a "true" Gillette product. I don't feel duped in any way and, again, appreciate it for what it is...a nice, functional, classic-type razor offered by Gillette. I doubt that Gillette still has the manufacturing equipment to actually produce safety razors so I wasn't expecting that. They could have gone the cheap route and hired a Chinese plant to pump out shoddy TTO's stamped w/ a Gillette logo but I ended up with a nicely finished product. I'm happy.

Top Bottom