What's new

Gillette Heritage Initial Review

There has been a thread discussing the release via Amazon of a "new" Gillette DE razor. It is listed as "Gillette Heritage-Inspired Double Edge Safety Razor" so I will just be calling it the Gillette Heritage (GH). The original purchase/discussion thread is here:

Now, the pics (there are 12 10 total, had to leave off 2, 10 files are the limit):

01 GH Box 1.jpg

02 GH Box 2.jpg

03 GH Box Open.jpg

Pics are the top of the box, bottom of the box (P&G getting their name in) and the box opened. Yes there is that large left over open space in the box. Now the case:

04 GH Case Closed.jpg

05 GH Case Open.jpg

The case is very nice, with a tight strong closing hinge. It will snap.

Basically, what you have here, is a Muhle r89 head with a New Type common bar handle.
06 GH Apart Top.jpg

07 GH Apart Bottom.jpg

Note only makers mark is a "4" on the underside of the cap.

This is my first r89 head, but I do own and use as my primary razor an EJ89 razor (392 shaves and counting). So I took some pics comparing the EJ89, Gillette Heritage and the New Short Open Comb razors. In the following pics, going left to right, it will be the EJ89, the Gillette Heritage in the middle, and the New Short OC on the right.

The first is a view of the bellies! The best view for Gillette Razors IMHO.
08 Compare Bottom ej89 GH NSOC.jpg

Yes, the Gillette Heritage is basically the same length and size of the New Types. The Heritage is very slightly, maybe 1/4 inch or 6.35mm longer. The extra length is on the neck part of the handle, the main section of the handles are the same length.

This next pic compares the heads of the razors. Note, the Heritage's head (shape, scallops, etc.) are for all intents and purposes, the same as the EJ89.
09 Compare Top ej89 GH NSOC.jpg

The last pic, is comparing the head geometry. The base plates of the EJ89 and the Heritage visually appear to be identical. BUT, note the top caps. The EJ89 has a central notch, the Heritage has a solid arch, very similar to an Old Type Thick Cap (but thicker).
10 Compare Geom and Cap ej89 GH NSOC.jpg

Now comes the tale of the tap. I weighed the razors and parts to compare and see what I might find. Please note the shape and size of the Heritage Head/Cap with the New SOC's in the above pic. Weights are in grams.

EJ89 = Total 74, Handle 45, Base Plate 17, Top Cap 12

Gillette Heritage = Total 63, Handle 31, Base Plate 18, Top Cap 14

New Short OC = Total 54, Handle 21, Base Plate 18, Top Cap 15

Surprising, the lightest (I know, not by much) base plate/cap was the EJ89.
The base plates of the Heritage and New SOC weighed the same even though the New SOC's seems to have alot less material. Hmmm. These weights seem to confirm the Gillette Heritage has a Zamak head and cap.

As for the shave. I used it this morning but keep in mind, this is my first shave with the Heritage. As for the gear I used for this shave:

Gillette Heritage Razor
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black (Super Platinum) - New blade
Martin de Candre-Lav Soap
APShave Company Faux Horse Hair Imitation Marble v2 Brush (22mm)
Florida Water After Shave

The weight and balance was very similar to a New SOC. As for the shave, it was just like my EJ89. I have heard the Heritage is ever so slightly more aggressive than the EJ89, and it may well be, but it is so close I would have to use the Heritage dozens of times to confirm. Blade wear and the life cycle of the blade from new to bin would have more of an effect on "aggressiveness" between the EJ89 and Heritage than any design differences (caps and how the blade is held). The ONLY difference (other than handle size and weight) I noted during the shave was the audio feedback on the Heritage seemed to be a deeper pitch than the EJ89.

Again, any differences between the EJ89 and Heritage were so slight that it could just be my perception/reality.

I did get a very nice, no nicks or weepers BBS-/DFS++ shave. I got a little irritation because I chased the BBS with a new 7 O'Clock Black blade, but no redness, just a little aftershave sting.

There is no Gillette branding or marks on the razor, none, nada. If you took a vintage common bar handle and had it chrome plated, or just buy a new one and put a Muhle r89 head on it, you would make a razor identical and indistinguishable from the Gillette Heritage. Why? Because that is what Gillette did.

Overall, a good bargain for a Muhle r89 with a nice case and a nice tuck of blades. But you do not get a Gillette razor, only a Gillette case.

Look at it this way, if Gillette doesn't want to mark their new razor as a Gillette, than I will agree with them and I also won't call it a Gillette.

I know it was a long post, but there were pics!! I hope this helps out the curious and bored.

Well, have a Great One Everyone!

Last edited:
Nice write up!
Thank you for taking the time to give us such detailed information!
I guess I will pass on this one, although I do like the case...

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Looks good! Are you happy?

Many thanks for the review and pics, SucKo

Looks good! Are you happy?

I really like and am a fanboy of the 89 series of razors. I also like the short common bar handles. I have even considered buying a new common bar handle and putting it on a spare EJ89 head I have in my shaving supply storage.

So, I am very happy about the purchase and would recommend this kit to anyone looking to get a type 89 razor. If I was to buy the parts separately, it could cost 2x as much as Gillette is charging for the Heritage Kit. So in value, this is a very nice ++.

My complaint is how Gillette is inferring that they are making/supplied the specs/outsourcing this razor when in fact all they did is purchase some Muhle r89 heads directly off the Muhle assembly line. "Heritage-Inspired"? It is a Muhle r89 head. It is a very good head and a good Type 89, I just wish Gillette had released it as a collaboration with Muhle. It is a great razor, a great case and really good blades, no reason Gillette/P&G needed to be sneaky.

Oh, and since it was a holiday special release, a nice green or red case would have been cool instead of brown.

Have a Great One!!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Excellent write-up and very helpful!!! I don’t have that head, I like the handle (and have a few vintage razor heads that would work well with it), and the case. I wish it were $5 to $10 cheaper (it’s advertised at $35 at the moment), but it does sound like a decent value still.

Thanks again for your thoughts...truly well done!!!

Now, the pics (there are 12 10 total, had to leave off 2, 10 files are the limit):

For some reason dropping out those last 2 photos is bugging me. So Here They ARE!!!

This next photo shows a nice comparison of the overall lengths of the razors. I lined them up by the bottom of the base plates:

11 Compare Overall Length ej89 GH NSOC.jpg

The New SOC has a very slightly wider handle, and note how the knurling patterns are very similar.

This next photo shows how the Heritage handle is slightly longer. Not much. Angle of photo is a little off, the additional length is due to the neck section and not the main body. I took these this morning and did them all in under 5 minutes. This photo was a little hard, the handles kept trying to roll away and escape.

12 Compare Handle Length NSOC GH.jpg

Well, that feels alot better now that I got those last 2 photos posted.

Thanks for all the nice replies so far!

Have A Great One!!

Excellent write-up and very helpful!!! I don’t have that head, I like the handle (and have a few vintage razor heads that would work well with it), and the case. I wish it were $5 to $10 cheaper (it’s advertised at $35 at the moment), but it does sound like a decent value still.

Thanks again for your thoughts...truly well done!!!
I think the price is reasonable. The case alone appears to be very high quality and worth maybe $10 or more.

Thanks, that's a great assessment. How does the case work with other vintage Gillette razors?

I haven't tried to fit other vintage razors in the case. My New Types should fit. The limiting factor will be the handle size, as long as the vintage handles are equal or shorter than the common bar, it should fit. As for the razor head, the Type 89 leaves space at the sides for the blade tabs, so it is a standard width and size...... I think

Have a Great One!!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Great write up. I appreciate it very much. My GH is arriving today so I get to try it out tomorrow.

I haven't tried to fit other vintage razors in the case. My New Types should fit. The limiting factor will be the handle size, as long as the vintage handles are equal or shorter than the common bar, it should fit. As for the razor head, the Type 89 leaves space at the sides for the blade tabs, so it is a standard width and size...... I think

Have a Great One!!
My guess then is the razors and handles from the Red & Black sets will work as long as the handle is not an Uncommon Bar handle, which is longer.

Let's see. For the exact same price (two purchases made separately), I was able to snag a Gillette Slim Deluxe (H3) and a Gillette Flair Tip TTO (H3). Both razors have the word Gillette on them. They were made by Gillette. They are made of brass. I think I made out far better. That said, if the Heritage sells well, I'll agree with @ateace in hoping Gillette will make an attempt to get back in the game. But I'm not holding my breath. I just don't think there's enough in it for them to justify the investment.

Top Bottom