What's new

Gillette Heritage Initial Review

I am disappointed (understatement). Don't get me wrong, the write up is stellar, it's the razor that leaves me cold. An old style plain solid bar handle, someone else's head design, no trademark, inscription, or anything else that tells you this is Gillette except the box. A boring, uninspired design. They have over 100 years of beautiful designs and this is what they decide for the new Gillette DE razor?

The kicker: OP concludes the head may be Zamak.

While I love what they did, I hate what they do. Gillette lost my admiration years ago. Their ad on TV about toxic masculinity shows them to be just another company sucking up to certain groups while demonizing others. They haven't had an original idea in decades.

Last edited:

Sure, some hardcore Gillette fans may be disappointed, but I am encouraged with at least a baby step towards recognizing our market segment. If this one is successful, as I believ it will be, perhaps another more interesting seasonable release. Eventually a regular offering. I’m treating it like a camels nose under the tent.

Last edited:
I don’t think so. I’ve tried putting it on my R41 handle and same issue. Seems to only thread completely with Stainless Steel handles.
Just return it w Amazon....have them send you a new one... Mine seem OK. Already used and packed as I don't like too mild a razor; but I admit excellent shave w 3 passes w NO irritation (just like Muhle 89 and EJ and RR)

I am disappointed (understatement). Don't get me wrong, the write up is stellar, it's the razor that leaves me cold. An old style plain solid bar handle, someone else's head design, no trademark, inscription, or anything else that tells you this is Gillette except the box. A boring, uninspired design. They have over 100 years of beautiful designs and this is what they decide for the new Gillette DE razor?

The kicker: OP concludes the head may be Zamak.

While I love what they did, I hate what they do. Gillette lost my admiration years ago. Their ad on TV about toxic masculinity shows them to be just another company sucking up to certain groups while demonizing others. They haven't had an original idea in decades.

+1

Nice write-up by the op. Interestingly there are no markings of 'Gillette' anywhere on the razor head/cap or handle. How come, Gillette is marketing this razor without their brand engravings? However the razor looks very good.

R

romsitsa

Nice write-up by the op. Interestingly there are no markings of 'Gillette' anywhere on the razor head/cap or handle. How come, Gillette is marketing this razor without their brand engravings? However the razor looks very good.

Suspect their supplier doesn’t do echting, engraving won’t work with zamak, the “classic” Gillette markings would require new molds. Buying a white label razor and “producing” a (badly) customised case is the cheapest, so safest route to take. Imho.

Adam

Just return it w Amazon....have them send you a new one... Mine seem OK. Already used and packed as I don't like too mild a razor; but I admit excellent shave w 3 passes w NO irritation (just like Muhle 89 and EJ and RR)

That is an option, but I’m fine with it since it works with my stainless steel handle. My original r89 head has taken its place with the Gillette handle. I actually ordered two heritage razors. The other one is going to be a gift for a relative. That razor had no issues with assembly.

I'm not worried that Gillette didn't go all balls out to 100% build and brand their razor. I see it as a test market to see how well it sells and if the popularity of vintage-style shaving will produce sustainable business.
Now, go look under the hood of your Chebby or Nissan or Honda and look for all the little labels and stamps on all the components comprising your hooptie. Doubt there's anyone building anything in a long-term commercial venture who fabricates all their own parts anymore. But, a razor is a simpler device; maybe Gillette will return to branding their products if the market says enough will be sold.

What I find more annoying in the DE shaving world is all the sellers who advertize their "stainless steel razors". Except for the high end razors made for the big spender shavers, you read on in the product description to discover the less prominent, smaller print words such as: "stainless steel handle" [alloy ie: zamac pot metal head]. Look to the Chinese to really obfuscate with their stainless steel razor with the claim of: 'comes with stainless steel blades' ...

Ruger's Pinetree Facility can economically cast stainless steel gun and mechanical parts. I'd value a Stainless head razor with zamac handle over the reverse.

Give me an ABC style razor and I might be in...
Here you go:
Gillette Old Type with ABC handle.jpg

Gillette contracted with ABC to make handles. Here's one of the plainer ones from the American Button Company.

I’m tempted to pull the trigger on one, however it’s not listed on Gillette’s website, that’s sketchy. Amazon reviews leave something to be desired. This community seems to be split on it, I don’t feel like wasting $35, however I only have one razor, my Gillette Super Speed. I think that there could be a price increase coming for the double edge blades we swear by, however anything is possible.

I’m tempted to pull the trigger on one, however it’s not listed on Gillette’s website, that’s sketchy. Amazon reviews leave something to be desired. This community seems to be split on it, I don’t feel like wasting $35, however I only have one razor, my Gillette Super Speed. I think that there could be a price increase coming for the double edge blades we swear by, however anything is possible.
Gillette did acknowledge it on their Twitter page I believe when they first came out. It’s an Amazon exclusive which is why we cannot find it anywhere else. From the reviews, and my own two sets I purchased, QC seems to be a bit of a problem regarding fit and finish.

yeah that's why I missed it then, because I don't live on twitter, I don't really care for it personally. However that's the way the world is headed. I'm 35 and I don't see the point in twitter.

yeah that's why I missed it then, because I don't live on twitter, I don't really care for it personally. However that's the way the world is headed. I'm 35 and I don't see the point in twitter.
I don’t live on twitter either and I have no plan to. I was only restating what other members on this forum have already mentioned.

I don’t live on twitter either and I have no plan to. I was only restating what other members on this forum have already mentioned.

Totally understood, I don't get the whole twitter thing, what's the draw? companies put things out there on social media and then act shocked when you don't buy their products. Sometimes the old way of doing business is a great thing.

Being 35 I'm constantly having to adapt to technology with my job, and the whole twitter universe to me is a joke.

Top Bottom