What's new

Gillette Heritage Initial Review

Interesting. I’m glad that picked a decent aggressive razor to rebrand. The case looks nice. What’s the price?

Hello everyone, I received my GHR on Thursday and really like the final product; however, I feel a little cheated the razor is not a true authentic Gillette product. I wish it had Gillette engraved on the head like a vintage tech.

Let's be honest. Even with such a marking it would not have been a true authentic product manufactured by Gillette...
However at least they chose a well reputated supplier to deliver the head.

I haven't made my mind yet whether to buy one.

On the left is the DE89 and on the right is the Gillette. The Gillette has a more domed head so to me. I shaved with it and it’s smoother than the DE89.

I did this same comparison with my EJ Kelvin. For me, the higher cap on the Gillette made for a less efficient shave. I get a much cleaner shave from the EJ.

I have done comparison shaves of the Gillette vs Muhle, Edwin Jagger and also Razorock. If you do a 3 pass shave, they are all the same, for me! You get a good shave w no irritation (Used a rusky 7Oclock blade). If you want to do less passes for whatever reason; then there is a difference for me: Rozorock, Muhle, Gillette and last EJ for an efficient 1st pass.

Let's be honest. Even with such a marking it would not have been a true authentic product manufactured by Gillette...
However at least they chose a well reputated supplier to deliver the head.

I haven't made my mind yet whether to buy one.
Isn't this pretty much par for the modern global markets? Winchester lever guns are made in Japan by Miroku now. iPhones are made in China by Foxconn. I can't hold it against them.

I'm wondering why Gillette decided to do this in the first place. I think this must be some kind of marketing trial. I know they're making billions off the sale of their cartridges, and I'm sure they don't want to compete with themselves. I'm convinced they're worried that this wet-shaving trend might spread way beyond our current sphere of hobbyists, and what they learn now would help them adapt to it in the future.

It is not like they didn't already produce a modern DE razor aka the Gillette 7 O'clock Sterling. That razor is more heritage being pretty much a continuation of the tech and knack razors produced by Gillette themselves than this over hyped turd which is anything but. Why didn't they just have Gillette of India produce this thing in house like the Sterling instead with would also have been more heritage than using 3rd party manufacturing.

I shaved with mine today (Feather blade) - a smooth, close shave with a razor that felt like it had relatively little drag. I was unusually cautious, as the EJ de89/Muhle R89 head historically gives me a lot of razor burn if I put the cap and safety bar both on my face, but that didn't happen today. I will keep using it and see how it turns out - I am cautiously mildly optimistic. The bar handle is nice as well (aesthetic, reasonably grippy but not markedly so as the knurling is relatively shallow compared to modern handles). I also like the case. Overall, I'm pleased with this so far.

I think that the importance of this razor, "real" Gillette, or not, is the fact that actual user reviews deem it a good shave. This matters in the realm of wet shaving, since it serves to go fly the Gillette flag to catch the attention of new wet shavers, or those on the fence & confused with all the spiffy/spendy razor names to choose from.

Like it or not, Gillette has been the go-to word for shaving for over 100 years now. It looks like they've held up their end by, once again, offering a good shave at a reasonable price. This will benefit Gillette, maybe to a lesser degree, than the entire wet-shaving industry by drawing in new customers / hobbyists.

Go ask the typical Joe Schlub (or even his girlfriend) out on the street about Brand Names - there's Jello, Kleenex, Tampax, BIC or Zippo, or Kool-Aid. Put generic, other brands of these things on a table and ask for someone to pick up one (named by the Brand Name) & they can do so without hesitation.

NOW, ask them to hand you the Muehle, Edwin Jagger or Rockwell from amidst a jumble of hand tools & most are lost. Tell them to hand you a Gillette & you'll get a razor ... not necessarily the Gillette, but something near-universally identified with shaving.
Brother AZ

You make outstanding points, though I have no desire to buy a Gillette Heritage razor. It appears from the reports to be a good solid offering by the Gillette Company. The King would be proud!

Gillette Heritage top cap?

4F556FCC-BBD1-4093-9DC9-DB81BE25FBB2.jpeg

Nope, guess again. It’s from the Muhle razor below that I saw today at Marshalls. Looks to be the EXACT same head being sold by Gillette, but on a different handle.

37B94F20-6CBF-4B24-92CD-90B18B845B94.jpeg
AB0D2FC0-1E31-417B-8040-F19719C0B625.jpeg
AEE7A65D-180B-4A8E-9A1E-5533E6874F61.jpeg
8A9A89D8-751A-432F-AF5D-19AB3B355EF4.jpeg
EBFD2C2B-6FBC-4B5D-B368-231AFF17F11A.jpeg

Note there is no notch in the top cap like on the R89. This head appears to be identical to the new Gillette DE head. I thought this might be of interest.

I get what people are saying. It's not "made and designed by Gillette". True. The plastic piece of flip-top DE crap they released last year was not likely made by Gillette either.

But the thing is - this is a good razor. I know because I own one and I used it yesterday. Moreover, before starting my own company, I worked at three big faceless corporations the size of P&G. The thing is, that there are good people working there. I'd bet folding money that this is what's called a "Skunkworks" project. In other words, there is a small handful of guys who cringed their way through whatever ridiculous nightmare-inducing of series of events that led Gillette to lose $9 BILLION dollars of brand goodwill despite the fact that they knew what they were told to do was a mistake. (brand goodwill is an actual line-item of capital valuation on financial reports used in accounting which impacts stock value and paychecks and bonuses - a $9billion dollar write-down in goodwill is the accounting equivalent to burning down a $9billion dollar factory and walking away without calling the insurance company)

I'd wager that there are good people at Gillette with their heads screwed on straight. There are people you'd have a beer with. And I'd bet that these people swallowed their pride and went on bended-knee to their bosses to make this skunkworks project happen, and that it happened on a shoe-string, which is why they had to outsource the head. And I'll bet it happened over the vociferous objections of the idiots who approved the virtue signaling nightmare that lost the $9billion who should have been fired but for "reasons" haven't been.

So... Please, pretty please, with sugar on it, give them some leeway on this one. If this is a disingenuous money-grab, we'll know in under a year and then let the pitchforks fly. But something tells me that somewhere in the belly of the beast, some good men are trying to signal that a few good people hear you and are trying to make good things happen. Maybe. Or maybe I'm a sucker. Only time will tell.

a $9billion dollar write-down in goodwill is the accounting equivalent to burning down a $9billion dollar factory and walking away without calling the insurance company

Can you explain what you mean by this? I don’t get your “equivalency” at all. Goodwill is an intangible asset, while a factory is a quite tangible asset. And committing arson versus taking a non-cash charge against your earnings? And what does the insurance company have to do with it (don’t think they’d cover arson anyway)? I just don’t get it at all.

I get what people are saying. It's not "made and designed by Gillette". True. The plastic piece of flip-top DE crap they released last year was not likely made by Gillette either.

But the thing is - this is a good razor. I know because I own one and I used it yesterday. Moreover, before starting my own company, I worked at three big faceless corporations the size of P&G. The thing is, that there are good people working there. I'd bet folding money that this is what's called a "Skunkworks" project. In other words, there is a small handful of guys who cringed their way through whatever ridiculous nightmare-inducing of series of events that led Gillette to lose $9 BILLION dollars of brand goodwill despite the fact that they knew what they were told to do was a mistake. (brand goodwill is an actual line-item of capital valuation on financial reports used in accounting which impacts stock value and paychecks and bonuses - a $9billion dollar write-down in goodwill is the accounting equivalent to burning down a $9billion dollar factory and walking away without calling the insurance company)

I'd wager that there are good people at Gillette with their heads screwed on straight. There are people you'd have a beer with. And I'd bet that these people swallowed their pride and went on bended-knee to their bosses to make this skunkworks project happen, and that it happened on a shoe-string, which is why they had to outsource the head. And I'll bet it happened over the vociferous objections of the idiots who approved the virtue signaling nightmare that lost the $9billion who should have been fired but for "reasons" haven't been.

So... Please, pretty please, with sugar on it, give them some leeway on this one. If this is a disingenuous money-grab, we'll know in under a year and then let the pitchforks fly. But something tells me that somewhere in the belly of the beast, some good men are trying to signal that a few good people hear you and are trying to make good things happen. Maybe. Or maybe I'm a sucker. Only time will tell.

I hear you. I hope this is a toe in the water with more to come if it pans out. Time will tell.

Gillette Heritage top cap?

View attachment 1038739

Nope, guess again. It’s from the Muhle razor below that I saw today at Marshalls. Looks to be the EXACT same head being sold by Gillette, but on a different handle.

View attachment 1038740View attachment 1038741View attachment 1038742View attachment 1038745View attachment 1038744

Note there is no notch in the top cap like on the R89. This head appears to be identical to the new Gillette DE head. I thought this might be of interest.

Huh, that’s pretty cool and cheaper than replacement parts on the Mühle USA site. Can’t tell by the picture but does it also have the brass threads?

It's $35 and it comes in a 'clam shell case' with a tuck of blades. Whether it's Gillette or not, it's still a good price for a razor that seems to be on par with a DE89. A DE89 on Amazon costs ~$30 and it doesn't come with the case. Sure nowadays you can get a zamak head razor for 8-15 dollars online. But the market for these more established companies still places the price for a zamak head chrome plated razor of decent build quality, at around $30-40 USD.

Gillette Heritage w/ case ~35USD

Edwin Jagger DE89 w/o case ~30USD

Muhle R89 w/o case ~40USD

Despite the ads, they continue to get hammered on the whole plastic filling up landfills and destroying the planet issue from environmentalists. They could get away with dumping most of the disposable line and come out smelling like roses with a Heritage, save the planet and get back to basics campaign. I don’t think for a second carts are going anywhere but disposables could be replaced with a campaign like that. Could hurt their competitors also.

I mentioned this before and shared the article but PG is ready to approve new facilities for Gillette in Cincinnati, the same place printed on the back of the shipping box of the Heritage no less. Article came out after the Heritage was listed on Amazon. Could be completely wrong, I may be but really interesting PG would approve new facilities if they are selling less razors. Heritage appears to be doing very well, it also appears they are definitely aware of us. Somebody over there is keeping track of how many of their old razors and that of their old competition are selling on the auction sites, you can’t just get general data from modern razor sales alone. I started out with one modern EJ but my rotation is mostly vintage. A lot of razors are also passed on to other family members.

I was a lurker here for a number of years before becoming a member, who knows really how many of us there could really be.

The best way to know how big a population is out there is to simply get DE blade buying data. From what I see on here, a good amount of us tend to use a blade up to a week. Others, go with a blade per shave but conservatively speaking, a blade per week I would guess on average for most of us. They definitely have their own overseas sales data and keep track of shipments to other countries as well.

They can accurately gauge their own DE sales to come up with a very good estimate of just one segment that just buys Gillette owned/partnered de blade brands. If this data is shared between other DE blade manufacturers, a much more accurate population estimate will emerge. They probably already know how many of us there are, much more accurately so than we could only guess at.

If we see a Tech release from them and made by them in the next year or so, they are definitely back in.

Can you explain what you mean by this? I don’t get your “equivalency” at all. Goodwill is an intangible asset, while a factory is a quite tangible asset. And committing arson versus taking a non-cash charge against your earnings? And what does the insurance company have to do with it (don’t think they’d cover arson anyway)? I just don’t get it at all.

They’re both a P&L hit is his point. Obviously, though, many investors would treat a tangible asset versus a non-tangible asset differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're being to literal. In both situations you no longer have a $9B asset and take a hit on you income statement.

Top Bottom