What's new

Gillette Heritage Initial Review

The head cap on the Gillette is not the same as the Muhle. The R89 has a notch on the cap.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Fair enough.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Fair enough.

I am not saying it’s not by Muhle, but it’s a sightly different head cap design. It’s possible that Gillette spec’d it to Muhle for their own specification. Who knows.

For the money, the Gillette is a better value compared to the R89 if anybody was thinking of getting a R89.

I am not saying it’s not by Muhle, but it’s a sightly different head cap design. It’s possible that Gillette spec’d it to Muhle for their own specification. Who knows.

For the money, the Gillette is a better value compared to the R89 if anybody was thinking of getting a R89.

Cap without the notch might be cheaper to manufacture ? No idea. Does Muhle use the notchless cap in another razor? Interesting Gillette would go to the trouble.

Cap without the notch might be cheaper to manufacture ? No idea. Does Muhle use the notchless cap in another razor? Interesting Gillette would go to the trouble.

Not that I am aware of.

I really think it is pretty simple:
If you like Gillette razors, buy it -- it's a decent razor, not expensive and a piece of history

If you do not like Gillette for whatever reason-- don't buy it....

[My review from another thread.]

Been using mine for a few days now and I have to say, this shaver may replace my Merkur Progress as my daily shaver (using Astra SPs).

Construction is superb, polished under the cap etc. and I've always liked a 3 piece design. Grippy handle.

Shave is top notch. Smooth and aggressive enough to get a BBS shave with 2.5 passes, the same as my Progress. Perfect blade registration, size, balance and weight.

It's an easy shaver, like a Merkur 34c, never worried about cutting myself. (A 34c used to be my second favorite shaver.) I'd say it's a little more aggressive than a 34c.

And the travel case is high quality and a nice touch.

Gillette certainly did their homework here.

I've made the new Gillette Heritage my daily shaver.

I get a closer shave with it than I do with my Merkur Progress. No irritation either. If I try to get as close a shave with the Progress I'll get irritation and cuts. The Gillette makes shaving my chin a breeze as-well.

FYI -- the Progress has been my daily shaver for 3 years.

I'm really liking this shaver.

Thank you Gillette!

If anyone has an Edwin Jagger Kelvin, it might be good to compare it with the Gillette Heritage. The Kelvin has a knurled handle that's different from the Heritage, but may be a close match.

R

romsitsa

There is a notch in the "Gillette" cap, only faint. I don't think P&G would straight out lie, so trust them that the head was made in Germany. Given how rounded the 4 marking is, I think the plating is really thick and the casting form is worn out.

Adam

If anyone has an Edwin Jagger Kelvin, it might be good to compare it with the Gillette Heritage. The Kelvin has a knurled handle that's different from the Heritage, but may be a close match.

If you scroll up the chat you will see I made this comparison

Regarding the input on the notch in the top cap of the Muhle, I checked my two EJ 89s and my Muhle Twist 89 and none of them have a notch as depicted in the picture posted.

Meanwhile, 113 years later...

I thought this picture of the heads was interesting - ying & yang.

1906_SingleRing_2019-Heritage.png

I shaved half with my Heritage and half with my Single-Ring yesterday. The vintage is MUCH more efficient. Well, that doesn't really hit the nail on the head. The vintage has no blade gap and holds the blade at a much lower angle so you have to hold it at a very steep on the angle. The vintage is essentially a perpendicular shavette with some safety teeth on it, haha.

The feedback on the vintage is very solid and muted because the blade is supported to the very edge. The feedback on the Heritage is louder, but reassuringly solid - not tinny, and I had no chatter issues at all. ATG in problem areas requires a bit more attention with the vintage. Of the two, the heritage is much more forgiving and therefore more appropriate for someone starting out, which was likely their intent. In terms of results, of course the first pass on the vintage is closer, but they're both capable of fantastic results. No complaints at all. Presentation, quality - very nice.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I wish they would have stamped the baseplate “Gillette” like they used to. Or “Made In The USA” would have been nice too, even though it’s probably not.

Thanks for the write up! Reckon this should go on the front page.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Nicely done! And I like your perspective. "Look at it this way, if Gillette doesn't want to mark their new razor as a Gillette, than I will agree with them and I also won't call it a Gillette." I couldn't agree more.
Fatip makes the head for the Schone. Unlike the Fatip Mk2, Schone is not marked at all with any sort of logo or identifying marks. People still call it a Schone never the less, as well as they call the Fatip Mk1 a Fatip even though it has no identifying logo like the Fatip Mk2.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, 113 years later...

I thought this picture of the heads was interesting - ying & yang.

View attachment 1036854

I shaved half with my Heritage and half with my Single-Ring yesterday. The vintage is MUCH more efficient. Well, that doesn't really hit the nail on the head. The vintage has no blade gap and holds the blade at a much lower angle so you have to hold it at a very steep on the angle. The vintage is essentially a perpendicular shavette with some safety teeth on it, haha.

The feedback on the vintage is very solid and muted because the blade is supported to the very edge. The feedback on the Heritage is louder, but reassuringly solid - not tinny, and I had no chatter issues at all. ATG in problem areas requires a bit more attention with the vintage. Of the two, the heritage is much more forgiving and therefore more appropriate for someone starting out, which was likely their intent. In terms of results, of course the first pass on the vintage is closer, but they're both capable of fantastic results. No complaints at all. Presentation, quality - very nice.

Pot metal needs that thickness because it's brittle. The bottom plate would constantly snap in half during handle tightening.

I have forsaken straight bars for slants and don't plan on looking back but this has been one of the most interesting threads on here in a while for me. A big thanks for the detailed review and all of the historical contributions as well.

Top Bottom