What's new

Gillette Heritage Handle on a Merkur 23C Head?

I am assuming that the Gillette Heritage handle would fit the Merkur 23C (180) head? Looks like I will be ending up with both.

If it fits, how is the handling compared to a Merkur 34C? How about length and weight/heft compared to the Merkur 34C? I am trying to figure out if I prefer short handles, long handles, heavy handles etc.

It's been a few years since I have tinkered with DE razors and I seem to have forgotten my impressions and preferences. I still have my old gear, but it inaccessible to me for the near to intermediate future.

If it fits, how is the handling compared to a Merkur 34C? How about length and weight/heft compared to the Merkur 34C?

The Heritage handle will fit the Merkur head. The Gillette handle is the same length as the 34C HD's handle but is slimer. Paired with the Merkur 23C head, it weighs 58 g. The 34C HD weighs 76 g. For comparison, the 23C weighs in at 60 grams.

I can now confirm that the two handles are interchangeable. I will need to play with the various combinations to utltimately determine which combo of head and handle I prefer.

Enjoy! I like swapping different handles now and then to get a bit of a different shaving experience. Managed to collect quite a few handles over the years. If I had the chance to do it all again I’d stick with the heads I liked most rather than purchasing so many. I also like the Merkur open comb head as well as the Razorock SLOC and the Ikon and the Parker and Muhle, etc. open comb heads but the Razorock Game Changer .68 OC is similar to the Merkur and just fantastic.

Top Bottom