What's new

Gillette handle compatibility.

I recently scored a boxed Windsor for $20 shipped from the bay.

The handle looks pretty worn, though the business-end of the razor and the gold blade box looks pretty nice. Inside of the box looks clean too, not sure about the outside of the box as I have not received the razor yet.

I don't know if the handle is cracked or not, but the finish looks pretty bad.

Would the handle of my 47-48 Tech fit the Windsor? I'm guessing (and hoping) it will, since the Tech handle fit my '20's Old Type.

Thanks guys :001_smile

I recently scored a boxed Windsor for $20 shipped from the bay.

The handle looks pretty worn, though the business-end of the razor and the gold blade box looks pretty nice. Inside of the box looks clean too, not sure about the outside of the box as I have not received the razor yet.

I don't know if the handle is cracked or not, but the finish looks pretty bad.

Would the handle of my 47-48 Tech fit the Windsor? I'm guessing (and hoping) it will, since the Tech handle fit my '20's Old Type.

Thanks guys :001_smile

Every 3 piece razor I've ever come across has used the same #10-32 threads.

As long as both razors used the short threaded stud, it should be interchangable. One unique problem that I've seen is on the New Gillettes, there is only room for a certain diameter of handle to fit between the ends of the raised ridge under the head comb. Some handles from other razors are a little too large to fit into this space and they tend to ride up on the ridge.

Regards,
Tom

As long as both razors used the short threaded stud, it should be interchangable.

Agreed - I put my Goodfella head on my EJ Chatsworth shaft and it didn't screw all the way in because the threaded part was longer on the Goodfella than the depth of the hole on the EJ handle.

I think all the Gillettes are the same though.

As long as both razors used the short threaded stud, it should be interchangable. One unique problem that I've seen is on the New Gillettes, there is only room for a certain diameter of handle to fit between the ends of the raised ridge under the head comb. Some handles from other razors are a little too large to fit into this space and they tend to ride up on the ridge.

Regards,
Tom

They're a variant among the NEWs, even with the Bar style hnadle.
Some heads have a .350 gap and head tip diameter and other have the wider .400 gap and a larger diameter tip.
I've seen the short tips with large and small gaps, but all the large hooks I've had have the larger gap.
Since I've become aware of the situation I've been widening the gaps on my replates so they fit any handle.

They're a variant among the NEWs, even with the Bar style hnadle.
Some heads have a .350 gap and head tip diameter and other have the wider .400 gap and a larger diameter tip.
I've seen the short tips with large and small gaps, but all the large hooks I've had have the larger gap.
Since I've become aware of the situation I've been widening the gaps on my replates so they fit any handle.

I suspected that you were providing for, or at least aware of that, Bob. I know you like to use the New Gillette heads for your custom razors and I suspected that you were aware of this possible misfit situation. This was one of the things I was talking about on another thread, when I mentioned that there were several minor variants in the heads of the New Gillettes.

Regards,
Tom

I suspected that you were providing for, or at least aware of that, Bob. I know you like to use the New Gillette heads for your custom razors and I suspected that you were aware of this possible misfit situation. This was one of the things I was talking about on another thread, when I mentioned that there were several minor variants in the heads of the New Gillettes.

Regards,
Tom

I've been making the tips on all my handles .340 for some time, but wasn't aware of the variations with the NEWs until I was prepping a half dozen heads and notice they weren't all the same, then I checked the handles and saw that even the common bar handle has both big and little tips.
I take a dremel and grind about 1/32th off each side of the razors with small gaps.
That way there won't be any problems down the road.
If you don't run into a fitting problem a person isn't likely to notice the difference.

Top Bottom